• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FlytrapCare

FlytrapCare
  • Sponsor
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Venus flytraps, tissue culture, swimming, cycling

Posted 07 August 2011 - 23:30 PM

These are two plants started from seed that I've had my eye on all year. I finally decided to uproot and repot them into deeper pots of their own and set them in the tray I have designated as evaluation plants. These photos were taken immediately after repotting, so the plants don't look their best because of that. But these two have impressed me with extreme and reliable coloration, large traps and a low growth habit all year long, which I personally like best.

I hope you enjoy the photos of them :)

First is "FTS Deep Red Guerrilla" (names are still tentative):
Posted Image
Posted Image

Next is "FTS Purple Ambush" (I really love the color on this one):
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by mmlr38, 07 August 2011 - 23:34 PM.

#2 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:17 AM

WOW!!!! I love the "Purple Ambush" :Laie_71mini: Very Nice Color it has :heart: I want one :biggrin:

#3 FlytrapCare

FlytrapCare
  • Sponsor
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:44 AM

WOW!!!! I love the "Purple Ambush" :Laie_71mini: Very Nice Color it has :heart: I want one :biggrin:

Thanks dchasselblad74! I love the "Purple Ambush" as well. It's one of my favorites this year :)

#4 loligo1964

loligo1964
  • Full Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:27 AM

Beautiful plants, Matt! Wow!

#5 FlytrapCare

FlytrapCare
  • Sponsor
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:22 AM

Thanks loligo1964 :)

#6 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

It would be good to see them photographed along side a 'normal' VFT with good colouration as a direct comparison. It is hard to see how they differ otherwise, as time of day, amount and quality of light, camera settings all can influence how a plant will look in a photographic image.

For example the last three images are of exactly the same plant yet the red colouration in the first is clearly different to the last two, a good example of how settings and conditions can completely change the perceived colour of the plant.
  • uglypho likes this

#7 FlytrapCare

FlytrapCare
  • Sponsor
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 19:22 PM

It would be good to see them photographed along side a 'normal' VFT with good colouration as a direct comparison. It is hard to see how they differ otherwise, as time of day, amount and quality of light, camera settings all can influence how a plant will look in a photographic image.

That's true, but I wouldn't be posting photos of plants that don't stand out from a "normal" VFT with good coloration :)

I think it's pretty obvious from the overflow of red coloration onto the outside of the trap and the deep red coloration on the interior that the plant has amazing color. But I do understand that it helps to have a reference. For example, I did have a reference when I recently took photos of the FTS Yellow plant:
Posted Image
Full thread here:
FTS Yellow Venus fly trap

I just didn't do it in this case because I was just snapping a few photos of the plants as I repotted them and figured I'd share their beauty with others that might appreciate it.

For example the last three images are of exactly the same plant yet the red colouration in the first is clearly different to the last two, a good example of how settings and conditions can completely change the perceived colour of the plant.

The first one of "FTS Purple Ambush" was taken with shade in the background and pointed toward the sun, that's why the colors are so vibrant. The last two were taken with the sun at my back and with a lit background.

Since being repotted, the plants have lost a few traps, but I could try to snap another photo of them with other plants near them for comparison if I can find the time.

OH! And come someone take the wet blanket off of this thread :sarcastic_blum:

Edited by mmlr38, 08 August 2011 - 19:29 PM.