• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Broek

Nick Broek
  • Full Members
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Reptiles. Insects. Carnivorous Plants, Terraria

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:38 AM

Hello, i just recently added, my dionaea, d. Capensis, nepenthes x hookeriana, and heliamphora nutans, together into my new terrarium, now i think again, i came to ask myself, if i really shouldnt do this? Is it possible to keep them together under same conditions, or do other growers on this forum advice me to, repot some of the plants again and place them back in my window sil?

Great thankks Nick.

#2 Nick Broek

Nick Broek
  • Full Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:04 AM

Heres a picture of the terrarium with the plants combined. Posted Image

#3 Peter Hewitt

Peter Hewitt
  • Full Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 17:09 PM

Hi Nick, It should be ok in the short term, but your N.Hookeriana will quickly overgrow such a tank, in a year or less. The Heliamphora likes cooler temperatures than any of the others in the tank, but could perhaps be OK. I would suggest putting your N.Hookeriana in a hanging basket or someplace where it can run wild, as it has a tendency to do :thumbsup:

#4 Elliot

Elliot
  • Full Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 18:29 PM

Hi Nick, It should be ok in the short term, but your N.Hookeriana will quickly overgrow such a tank, in a year or less. The Heliamphora likes cooler temperatures than any of the others in the tank, but could perhaps be OK. I would suggest putting your N.Hookeriana in a hanging basket or someplace where it can run wild, as it has a tendency to do :thumbsup:

Also, the VFT will need a cool winter dormancy period to do well.

#5 Peter Hewitt

Peter Hewitt
  • Full Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 21:24 PM

I find that VFT will go Dormant in response to shortened Photoperiod, and it looks like you are using natural light, so that should not be a problem. In all honesty, it is usually not a good idea to plant such vastly different Genera in the same tank, but I have seen it done successfully, if thought is given to each plants specific needs. You might have success with the others, but the Nep will become a huge problem in a short amount of time.

#6 Nick Broek

Nick Broek
  • Full Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 20:19 PM

im surprised to see. my drosera rotundifolia, has made 4 new leafs of 2 centimeters in 2 days, i mean, 2 days ago, i didnt even see them, and now today this evening, they jump out, is this normal for drosera rotundifolia? does it grow this fast? or does it just like its new enviorement