What's my best bet for dormancy in Illinois

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shane

shane
  • Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 18:06 PM

I was thinking of building a cold frame, put the plants in and mulch them. I'm afraid even in the box it might be too cold or too warm. I want to keep it around 35 degrees. It's usually around -5-20 degrees here. Should I have an incandescent bulb in the cold frame. I want them to have sunlight and I can't do the garage. The cold frame will rest against the house for warmth. Any ideas?

#2 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 05 July 2011 - 20:05 PM

Last winter was my first time overwintering Sarracenias and other CPs in my outdoor bogs, and I was sooooo worried about losing all of them. I mulched them with 12 to 15 inch of straw and the ones in pots, I placed inside black garbage bags and sealed it tight and placed them under the 12-15 inch of straw right next to the inground container bogs and this past winter was brutal..... The first few weeks of November was already in the sub zero temps and we had those snow storms that covered my mulched bogs under five feet of snow.... Then we had an unusual warming in January that melted all of the snow, and I was afraid the plants will wake up sooner than normal.....After all of that, I only lost about two to four plants and everything survived...Oh and I'm in Chicago Illinois....Now I know that Sarracenias, D. Binata 'Giant', D. Hybridas and VFTs, with the proper protection, are pretty tough plants..

Edited by dchasselblad74, 07 July 2011 - 10:47 AM.

#3 shane

shane
  • Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:57 AM

Thanks. Maybe if I mulch the cold frame? We're in the same city. You used pine straw? I'll try your method. But if I mulch the cold frame, it might be too warm.
Ik what you mean about the brutal weather. I went outside and 12' of snow . wow...

#4 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:46 AM

If you have a cold frame, you will probably just need a little mulch or you can probably get away with not mulching at all but its uo to you. I used one whole bale of straw for mulching. I wish I can find tons of pine needles but straw is a good substitute.

#5 shane

shane
  • Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 13:55 PM

Do you have pics of them emerging from dormancy? And how'd you go about watering? Would it be bad if I mulched 24"?

#6 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 22:59 PM

Do you have pics of them emerging from dormancy? And how'd you go about watering? Would it be bad if I mulched 24"?

My friend that helped me get all of the straw out took photos of the spring clean up...I will ask him If I can upload them onto CPUK. I water my plants as soon as I see the top soil drying out, so basically almost every other day. I used to have them in standing water, but mosquitoes breed in the trays, so I decided to take all the trays out. Im not sure if 24" of mulch would be either good or bad, but I know that Sarracenias would like to "Breathe" even in dormant state. Meaning they would like for rain to filter in and some moisture to evaporate(to prevent from Botrytis from setting in due to lack of air movement)

#7 shane

shane
  • Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 00:04 AM

Thanks. I mean watering in the dormant period. How big were the pots?

#8 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 14:06 PM

Thanks. I mean watering in the dormant period. How big were the pots?

I water the ones in those pots(1 gallon) just enough so the soil is not dry, but it's also not dripping wet, before I shut them in those garbage bags then I bury them in the 15 inch of straw. This year I will spray them with sulphur based fungucide to prevent mold, cause I noticed there were a few pots that were moldy, but it didnt affect the plants.

#9 shane

shane
  • Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 15:47 PM

Thanks. That watering lasted them the whole winter? When did you take them out? Are they outside all year long?

#10 shane

shane
  • Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:54 AM

Hello? lol

#11 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 17:53 PM

Thanks. That watering lasted them the whole winter? When did you take them out? Are they outside all year long?

Sorry :whistling: ....Yes that watering lasted them all winter, the key is for them not to not dry out. Yes my plants are outside all year long....