adding nes plants

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bogman

bogman
  • Full Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 16:22 PM

This is a questions I want to ask real experts! :) I have a bog garden with mostly sarracenias, some droseras (rotundifolia), sphagnum moss, and a few types of bog plants like dwarf sedges, eriophorum angustifolium, typha minima, equisetum japonicum, juncus, cranberries and a few more... most of my bog is covered with sphagnum, but there are still a few patches that are bare... Recently I wanted to buy something new, but I don't wont to make mistakes, so I need someone to give me a hint where should the plants be situated exactly, to be more precise, where would they grow the best... I wanted to buy some pinguiculas, perhaps grandiflora, because from what I have heard, They are hardy and the easiest to grow outside year round, and I was considering any type of terrestrial utricularia... any suggestions? Where should I put them to grow? Both plants must be cold hardy, of course! I now nothing about hardy pings and utrics, so any suggestion is appreciated!

The bog is still not finished, but the main part is... It is newly formed, because the old one was devastated because of recent flood... I've made it higher so there are no any more dangers if floods happen again.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#2 zeeland

zeeland
  • Full Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 19:15 PM

you can grow some P. grandiflora in there and they indeed the esiest hardy ping.
there are no terresterial hardy utricularia only hardy aquatic utrics exist

#3 bogman

bogman
  • Full Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 19:30 PM

Then I will try to get some grandifloras as soon as possible! I like those plants so much! Their flowers are beautiful! Should they grow on a dryer or wetter spot of the bog? what about the sun? Do they prefer sun or slight shade? I hope they can cope well with sphagnum... :) How fast do they reproduce? do they ever self seed?? I know there are a lot of questions I asked, but I don't know much about pings...

I am a bit disappointed about utricularias! I really expected to find at least one terrestrial species that can overwinter outside... But what about utricularia cornuta??? I have heard that it can grow outside.... is that truth?