- - - - -

Basic Heliamphora Care Sheet

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Daniel G

Daniel G
  • Full Members
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Life, Answering Questions, Looking Handsome!
    Getting a better Sarracenia collection.

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:12 AM

Hello everyone,

I’ve seen a variety of threads regarding Heliamphora flowers and pollen posted on the forums, but not a basic care sheet so I thought I’d submit one myself.

Introduction
Heliamphora are considered the most ancient of the carnivorous plant world, this is because they are believed to have not changed or evolved since the time of the dinosaurs; perhaps this is because they are so successful or perhaps it is because they are located in Guyana, atop sandstone, table topped mountains known to the local people as “tepuis”; here, six thousand to eight thousand feet above sea-level, caressed by clouds, they are in complete isolation and safety – for now.

Guyana is one of the ever-decreasing number of untouched rainforests on the entire planet and is located in southern Venezuela, Brazil. It was only recently I watched in awe as a group of researches explored this vibrant, natural metropolis and I am still speechless from what was discovered there. If you wish to learn more about Guyana, have a look for a documentary series called “Lost Land of the Jaguar” and I hope once you’ve seen it you become as awe-inspired as I am.

Heliamphora share a similar appearance to Sarracenia, however I find Heliamphora much more attractive. Some varieties are a pale, green shade whereas others stretch from a pastel yellow to a vibrant red. Each Heliamphora pitcher is topped with a beautiful, small bell-shaped nectar spoon.

Basic Care
Soil
As with most carnivorous plants, Heliamphora are partial to a mixture of peat moss, perlite and perhaps some sphagnum to top it all off with. I look forward to learning what soil mixtures other Heliamphora growers use.

Snapperhead51 likes using pure Sphagnum -- you can see the results of his stunning Heliamphora here!

Light
Living atop mountains and above the clouds, Heliamphora enjoy lots of bright, natural light. Give these beautiful plants as much as you can.

Humidity
Due to where they originate, Heliamphora prefer high humidity levels above 60%, with 90% being optimal.

Climate
Warm days and cool nights. Anywhere between 60-80degrees F during the day and 5-15 degrees F at night will keep them contented. No dormancy is required.

Containers
A regular plastic pot is fine for a Heliamphora. Make sure it has drainage holes. Keep the pot in a plastic tray to make watering easier if you wish.

Water
Rainwater, distilled, demineralized, deionzed or reverse osmosis water is a necessity for these plants. Due to the rainy conditions atop their original habitat, it’s best to always keep your Heliamphora supplied with fresh, pure water.

Heliamphora are among my top favourite carnivorous plants – this is for many reasons. Not only do they look beyond stunning, but their home is an absolutely pristine environment where man has yet to reach. The sheer amount of knowledge left to be gained from Guyana astounds me and I feel that caring for a Heliamphora means I am a part of that mystery – and to me that is something truly magnificent and special.

Grey,
FTC Forum Moderator

Edited by Daniel G, 29 June 2011 - 06:17 AM.