• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Deadly Weapon

Deadly Weapon
  • Full Members
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Plants, art, movies and culture

Posted 21 June 2011 - 15:56 PM

Is it possible to propagate U. longifolia from leaf cuttings? What kind of conditions will encourage this plant to flower?

Edited by Deadly Weapon, 21 June 2011 - 17:07 PM.

#2 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,360 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 21 June 2011 - 17:20 PM

I don't know why you would want to do a leaf cutting, as it would be just as easy to get some of the 'root' at the same time and that would almost definitely take. I grow mine in Sphagnum moss in an undrained container, under 13hours/day of artificial light. I don't change the photoperiod for winter but the room cools significantly. When it starts to warm in spring it flowers and has done so for a number of years.

#3 hgwqhge

hgwqhge
  • Full Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 21:26 PM

I once accidentally cut of a leaf from my U. longifolia. I put it with my Drosera leaf cuttings and after a while a plant grew out of it. So it's possible, but divisions are better if you ask me....

#4 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,737 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 04 November 2011 - 22:38 PM

I've had them flower for each of the past 2 years, once on the window sill and once by having it outside on the porch. They seem to need a change in the seasons. I wouldn't say that they are temperate like VFT's & Sarracenias but they more of a subtropical plant. Supposedly, Utrics can develop from any part of its foliage.

#5 Florian

Florian
  • Full Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 17:28 PM

Several persons said to me, that it needs a dry periode in winter, to be able to flourish.
And for division, the simplest really is to wait to be able to divide roots.

#6 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,360 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 19:12 PM

I water mine the same year round and it flowers in the spring/summer every year. I personally think that it must be the temperature change that influences the flowering.

#7 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 11 November 2011 - 22:33 PM

Same with mine wet all year but cool in winter, flowers every year, spreads like grass.

Edited by manders, 11 November 2011 - 22:33 PM.

#8 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,818 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 13 November 2011 - 17:11 PM

Actually ive noticed an odd thing with my longifolia, grown in my conservatory min 15C, little direct sun, its spreading and growing over winter. In the greenhouse, min 10C, full sun, the leaves have allready dissapeared, underground stems are still ok. So does it have an aversion to full sun? ( i think some guys have previously said not) does it have a dormancy, ( i've a vague memory of it going dormant before when kept dry, and resuming growth in spring but cant find many actual references online to it doing it). Anybody an experience of it behaving like that?