- - - - -

Sundews in Direct Sunlight

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,737 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 21 June 2011 - 13:10 PM

Okay... so what should I call them? D. omissa x pulchella?

#22 Guest_Andreas Eils_*

Guest_Andreas Eils_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 19:28 PM

Oh, that´s pretty easy now: Just count the number of stigmata on the flowers of your plants! If there are only three then it must be D. omissa x pulchella. If the flowers have four stigmata then it must be D. pulchella x omissa. And finally if your plants in question have five stigmata on their flowers it must be D. pulchella x occidentalis! :D

If I´m sure? No, I´m not! :tongue: It may be like that, but without 100% certainty! Currently obviously no one can tell you for sure if you grow D. pulchella x occidentalis or D. omissa x pulchella. I´ll try to make the cross between D. occidentalis and D. pulchella. If I succeed to receive seed it will take until early spring next year until plants are big enough to see their characteristics. Stupid thing is both species usually self-fertilise. In a seed capsule I can receive seed of the species as well as seed of the cross OR only seeds of the species if the hybridisation failed.

At least this is an honest answer. Are those plants grown as D. pulchella x occidentalis really that cross? Or is it in fact a cross between D. omissa and D. pulchella? This we need to find out. Probably Dieter Kadereit knows the answer - provided he has made that cross himself as well.

So, how should you label your plants? Best you don´t label them at all. Not satisfying, I know. But what do you want to do if you cannot be certain?

Kind regards

Andreas

#23 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,737 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 22 June 2011 - 13:20 PM

Okay... I was looking back at the pictures from last year and how they were labeled:

Posted Image D. pulchella x occidentalis

Posted Image D. pulchella x occidentalis

Posted Image D. omissa x pulchella

The flowers from this year are from the gemmae from those plants. Assuming I didn't mess things up, based upon stigma counts, they appear to be all D. pulchella x occidentalis.

Edited by jimscott, 22 June 2011 - 13:22 PM.

#24 MICKEY

MICKEY
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 15:21 PM

very nice flowers hope my d roseanna blooms so nice

#25 casca

casca
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:CP's, watches, BF4,...

Posted 25 June 2012 - 21:37 PM

really nice flowers! I hope my drosera gets the same.

#26 Guest_MustangGT_*

Guest_MustangGT_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2012 - 20:35 PM

Very healthy plants, nice :))