Photo
- - - - -

Forum Reputation System

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Please read the first post in this topic prior to voting. (46 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you like the reputation system to be configured?

1. Voted Default configuration (thumbs up and thumbs down)? (11 votes [26.83%])

Percentage of vote: 26.83%

2. Voted Positive (thumbs up) only? (16 votes [39.02%])

Percentage of vote: 39.02%

3. Remove 'Reputation' from members profiles? (1 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

4. Switch off the reputation system? (13 votes [31.71%])

Percentage of vote: 31.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,348 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:26 AM

Some members have noticed that the forum now has a 'Reputation' system, others might be oblivious to it, so the purpose of this post is to try to explain its purpose, how to use it and gauge opinion as to whether members want it in its current configuration, modified or totally removed. The topic will be kept open long enough to gauge opinion, so please have your say and contribute to the poll, after reading through this post.

At the bottom of every post there are a pair of thumbs, thumbs up Posted Image and thumbs down Posted Image. These allow you to give you opinion of whether you believe the information in the post made a positive contribution, or you agree with it (Posted Image), or if you believe it made a negative contribution, or you disagree (Posted Image), for example. It is relevant to the post only and if you give a thumbs down then ideally you should have participated in the thread so that the member who received the negative will have an understanding as to why.

A members reputation is displayed in their profile, as a value. So for every thumbs up they receive one point and every thumbs down deducts one point.

The above configuration of thumbs up and thumbs down is the default setting for the forum software; however, there are some configuration options:

• It is possible to have just the thumbs up Posted Image option available. This can be used as a sort of thank you or 'give credit where credit is due' system, a way of showing your appreciation. So, if you think that a members post made a positive contribution to the forum community or is of particular value to you then you could show that by giving a thumbs up for that post.
  • The 'Reputation' count can be removed from all members profiles. This means that you can still give a thumbs up/down for a particular post but the cumulative value of a members thumbs up/down is not displayed in the members profile. This method has the advantage of allowing members to rate a post but without potentially harming someone's 'Reputation'.
  • Another option is to switch off the reputation system. This would mean that you would not be able to rate the post or give credit to a member whose post you have found useful or you believe to be of value to the forum community.
If you have an opinion as to which option you would like to see then please use the poll to vote for it.
  • Amori likes this

#2 BenScoobert

BenScoobert
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

hehe
  • BenScoobert likes this

#3 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

hehe

hmm Posted Image

I hope that you voted after that Mr BenScoobert Posted Image

#4 BenScoobert

BenScoobert
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

hmm Posted Image

I hope that you voted after that Mr BenScoobert Posted Image

I think good and bad votes area a great idea

#5 Derek

Derek
  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 13:15 PM

A thumbs up is a good idea, but a thumbs down...How do you moderate someone who gives a thumbs down when they don't know what they are talking about. i.e. someone has a good idea but they get trashed through ignorance? This could be offensive and induce people not to bother any more. If I put up a post that I wanted some serious feedback on, and I found I was getting thumbs down for my efforts, then I definitely would think twice before posting again. Just a thought.

#6 BenScoobert

BenScoobert
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 13:22 PM

A thumbs up is a good idea, but a thumbs down...How do you moderate someone who gives a thumbs down when they don't know what they are talking about. i.e. someone has a good idea but they get trashed through ignorance? This could be offensive and induce people not to bother any more. If I put up a post that I wanted some serious feedback on, and I found I was getting thumbs down for my efforts, then I definitely would think twice before posting again. Just a thought.

I'd imagine someone that knew you were correct would vote it back up, the smart should outweigh the dumb that way

#7 Phil Green

Phil Green
  • Full Members
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 18:33 PM

I'd imagine someone that knew you were correct would vote it back up, the smart should outweigh the dumb that way

Unfortunately life doesn't work like that. The majority of people don't care or can't be bothered. As I've said before - the old system had a 5 star system to rate posts, 1 or 2 people seemed to rate every thing 5 star, but most people never used it.

In an ideal world, it would be used wisely and fairly - but this isn't an ideal world. The system is far too open to obuse and should be scrapped! Perhaps if those who make the thumbs up / down were identified, then this would deter abuse, but secret voting on someones repuation is just plain wrong.

Edited by Phil Green, 08 June 2011 - 18:35 PM.

#8 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 18:41 PM

the old system had a 5 star system to rate posts...

The new forum has this too, it's at topic level, not post level. The thumbs up/down feature is at post level.

#9 Phil Green

Phil Green
  • Full Members
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 19:01 PM

I've just seen this

I have experieced that all moderators can see who give negative feedback,i have dare to give some moderator some negative feedback and came in trouble ,i got a very angry PM from him. :confused:
If it s not a big deal and only a poster feedback why become this moderator so angry?He have removed my negative feedback ,so it s only for members!

So it seems the rating is only for us 'plebs' Mods can remove / fiddle their own repuation. Now how fair is the system !!

The new forum has this too, it's at topic level, not post level. The thumbs up/down feature is at post level.

Ok - but my point still stands - The vast majority of people never use it, so it wasn't wanted.

Edited by Phil Green, 08 June 2011 - 19:03 PM.

#10 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 19:30 PM

So it seems the rating is only for us 'plebs' Mods can remove / fiddle their own repuation. Now how fair is the system !!

Mods cannot 'remove / fiddle' their reputation. I am not willing to go into the facts behind the aforementioned post in a public forum but I can assure you that the mod in question does not have access to change his or anyone else's 'reputation', except for the ability to give a thumbs up/down to posts, the same as any other member.

I have no real preference to which way this poll goes, so I'm merely telling you the facts as I know them. If any member wants any information about the system, in order to make an informed decision, then please ask and I will give an honest answer to the best of my knowledge.

#11 Guest_Andreas Eils_*

Guest_Andreas Eils_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2011 - 20:39 PM

Hello all,

I have experieced that all moderators can see who give negative feedback,i have dare to give some moderator some negative feedback and came in trouble ,i got a very angry PM from him.

voting is not anonymous according to this statement. At least mods and admins can see who has voted what and how. Of course in case of misuse it is more helpful for the board staff to know who has given certain votes.

Generally I would appreciate such a feedback system but it has - like most things ;-) - two sides of a medal. It can be helpful if it´s used in a fair way. But particularly negative feedback can cause some people an unjustified bad reputance which may unfortunately influence a lot of other users. Am I correct the numbers of good (thumb up) or bad (thumb down) votes of posts result in a summary reputance shown on your profile? I think there shouldn´t be such a summary of one´s reputance on his/her profile page. This provides a more personal judgement of a forum member. I think the feedback should be only linked to the certain post of a forum member - more factual, less personal.

I am somehow unsure how to vote for this subject. In case of doubt I think only positive feedback (thumb up) should be allowed or this feedback function should be removed totally.

Regards

Andreas

Edited by Andreas Eils, 08 June 2011 - 20:41 PM.

#12 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 08 June 2011 - 20:44 PM

Whats with the blonde babe under the thumbs up icon on the right of each post?

Edited by mantrid, 08 June 2011 - 20:44 PM.

#13 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 20:50 PM

Hi Andreas,

You are correct, forum mods can indeed see who has voted. This is, as you have surmised, necessary in order to check for any abuse of the system. The thumbs up/down do get summed in order to give the reputation value in the members profile.

As for whether it is possible to disable the 'Reputation' summary in someone's profile I am not sure, as I do not have access to that level of the system, but I can certainly try to find out. Is this something that other members would like to see as an option?

#14 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 20:52 PM

Whats with the blonde babe under the thumbs up icon on the right of each post?

You have a 'blonde babe' on yours? Why don't I have one of them? :lol:

#15 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

As for whether it is possible to disable the 'Reputation' summary in someone's profile I am not sure, as I do not have access to that level of the system, but I can certainly try to find out. Is this something that other members would like to see as an option?

UPDATE: I can confirm that this is an option, so I have added 'Remove 'Reputation' from members profiles?' to the poll and an explanation of what this means in the first post of this topic. If you have already voted and you wish to change it, then you can delete your vote and re-vote.

#16 Mags

Mags
  • Full Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:21 AM

Would it be possible to have a "thanks" button rather than a thumb up/down?

I've seen this in other forums, and it isn't likely to be abused as much.

#17 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:27 AM

Would it be possible to have a "thanks" button rather than a thumb up/down?

I've seen this in other forums, and it isn't likely to be abused as much.

This is effectively what the 'Positive (thumbs up) only' option would give.

#18 Mags

Mags
  • Full Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:41 AM

This is effectively what the 'Positive (thumbs up) only' option would give.

True, but if someone is helpful to me I thank them, I don't give them a thumbs up...

It's not that big a deal and prob won't catch on anyway.

I do agree with the rest in saying thumbs up or not at all, negative points aren't constructive.