- - - - -

Pine Needles as a Growing Medium

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#121 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 01 July 2012 - 19:21 PM

Oh B & C are practically neck and neck all of the sudden. Could the moss be hindering the growth of B?

Yes.

But not sure about the moss it isnt tightly packed and is quite loose. I found that the smaller dense moss that consolidates the surface tends to have an effect on VFT growth.

Also what is also interesting is the consistantly redder traps of the one in perlite. I dont think it is the perlite itself that is affecting the colour as I understand it is an expanded volcanic glass an inert. I think it is possibly due to the slower growth of this plant, so giving more time for the colour to develop before the trap reaches maturity, possibly.

Edited by mantrid, 01 July 2012 - 19:23 PM.

#122 Morph

Morph
  • Full Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 21:48 PM

Any nice upd? gonna test this my self (:

#123 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 22 July 2012 - 15:33 PM

Any nice upd? gonna test this my self (:

End of the month.

#124 Richard Bunn

Richard Bunn
  • 2,444 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, weird plants, opera, classical music, theatre, gym, Lush.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 20:30 PM

Mine (in mix B) are doing very well.
  • Dode likes this

#125 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 20:33 PM

Update.
Cant view the code anymore to edit images. Have to delete image then retype everything. Damn I just used to copy the code from previuos posts and just change the image number.

05/08/2012
Posted Image

01/07/2012
Posted Image

01/06/2012
Posted Image

Edited by mantrid, 03 August 2013 - 20:09 PM.

• mobile likes this

#126 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,417 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

Update.
Cant view the code anymore to edit images. Have to delete image then retype everything. Damn I just used to copy the code from previuos posts and just change the image number

I think you need to use he light switch button at he top of the edit window to select code. Works for me.

#127 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

Thanks that great.

#128 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

Update.
This will be the last photo of this experiment.

Conclusion
VFTs grown in a mix of peat and pine needles appears to grow better than in the common mix of perlite and peat. Best growth occured in a 50:50 mix. However the experiment was only conducted on single plants for each medium type. A larger group of plants grown in each medium would need to be tested to statistically verify this finding.

Pine needles certainly do not harm the VFTs and can safely be used as a substitute for perlite. If indeed the pine needles are resulting in better growth of the plants then possible reasons for this are given below.

1) It is possible that the needles maintain the acidity of the peat creating a longer lasting, more stable acidic environment around the roots. Unfortunately I did not have any means o testing the pH to confirm this.

2) The pine needles might be slowly decomposing releasing small amounts of nutrients into the peat, sufficient to benefit growth but too low to harm the plant.

3) The filamentous nature of the needles may create better aeration of the peat. It was noticed that the pine needles medium did not compact as much as the perlite medium and remained more more spongy to the touch.

10/09/2012
Posted Image

05/08/2012
Posted Image

01/07/2012
Posted Image

Edited by mantrid, 03 August 2013 - 20:10 PM.

• Killian likes this

#129 mkmplants

mkmplants
  • Full Members
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Sarracenia and music! :D

Posted 15 January 2013 - 14:58 PM

Hi Mantrid, I cant see the pictures, can you change the server please?

Really good post! :D

#130 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 20:11 PM

sorted, eventually

#131 Richard Bunn

Richard Bunn
  • 2,444 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, weird plants, opera, classical music, theatre, gym, Lush.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 20:14 PM

Do you have some new pictures Mantrid? Would be good to see how the experiment is getting on.

#132 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 20:35 PM

Mine is still in the original pine needles. Think this is the third season and the plant has been outside year round. Been a poor year for VFT outside this year, buts its still put out some small traps and flower stalks

#133 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 20:35 PM

I still have the plants in the same pots. Havent looked at them for a while. I will take some pics tomorrow

#134 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 20:38 PM

Mine is still in the original pine needles. Think this is the third season and the plant has been outside year round. Been a poor year for VFT outside this year, buts its still put out some small traps and flower stalks

Yes it was a bad start but the hot sunny weather over the last few weeks with some recent rain means things are picking up nicely and colouration is getting better

#135 Peabody

Peabody
  • Full Members
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:I am mostly interested in VFT's but I am having a go at Cephalotus.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 17:11 PM

I collected someLarch needles a few weeks ago. When I scraped the needles up I found that the rotted down needles has produced a brown material a bit like peat so I collected some of this also. I made up a compost mixture of 1 part Perlite, 1 part grit sand (J Arthur Bowers) and 1 part Larch material - mostly the brown "peat".

I planted up some straggly Venus Flytraps in it that I wasn't bothered about losing and three or four weeks later they have put on some growth and certainly are not showing any signs of distress.

The pic is of the plants just after I potted them up (10cm pot).

Posted Image

#136 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 18:07 PM

The pine needles in my original plant have all rotted down and the VFT is still growing fine, albeit a little slowly due to inclement weather.

#137 Richard Bunn

Richard Bunn
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 18:30 PM

My experiment has settled/sunken down in its pot due to needle decomposition. I shall have to bottom dress the pot next season to raise the level of the plants up to the top of the pot.

Posted Image

#138 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

Mine has never been repotted since my original picture post in this topic in 2011. The VFT doesn't look the best this time of year, as it grows outdoors year round. You can see that the medium level has dropped.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#139 guillaume

guillaume
  • Full Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

As I am in Lebanon now, I have bring with me some tuberous drosera, no peat here so I have use pine needles, burning pine wood and some sand. It work good. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#140 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 14:25 PM

I personally think that pine needles are quite a viable alternative medium and I have started to add them to my normal mixes. I have had less issues with them as a CP medium than I have had with coir and I don't have to worry as to how they have been washed.