- - - - -

Pine Needles as a Growing Medium

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#41 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,415 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 12 September 2011 - 19:24 PM

Well ... Thanks-for The-COMPLIMENT so-to-Speak ... My-Move INTO Newspaper-CELLULOSE Is-Obviously R-Better-Course to-Pursue ... Since Everyone ON-The-Entire-Planet Has-Access to NEWSPAPERS so-to-Speak!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

I split your cat litter trials into another thread: Recycled Paper Pellets Cat Litter as a Growing Medium.

#42 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 17:21 PM

A quick pic update. For reference my original pics were taken on 9th September 2011 and the ones below of the same plant were taken 14th September 2011.

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Naja02 likes this

#43 Davion

Davion
  • Full Members
  • 354 posts
  • Location:7-minutes from Mount-Bold, Adelaide, South Australia
  • Interests:B3, F#4, D4, A4 &amp; Plants

Posted 15 September 2011 - 18:11 PM

BORON-Problem???

Anyway Keep-Us Posted so-to-Speak.

"I"ll-Be Setting-UP My 'First' Major CALCIUM / NEWSPAPER-Cellulose Rep by The-Weekend So-"I"ll Report-ON THART so-to-Speak!!! >(*U^)<

#44 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 18:38 PM

"I"ll-Be Setting-UP My 'First' Major CALCIUM / NEWSPAPER-Cellulose Rep by The-Weekend So-"I"ll Report-ON THART so-to-Speak!!! >(*U^)<

Please post the results in the thread that I transferred your other related post to: Recycled Paper Pellets Cat Litter as a Growing Medium

#45 Daniel G

Daniel G
  • Full Members
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Life, Answering Questions, Looking Handsome!
    Getting a better Sarracenia collection.

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:28 AM

Looking good mobile.

#46 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 25 September 2011 - 13:00 PM

Update

25/09/11
Posted Image

22/08/11
Posted Image

15/07/11
Posted Image

Interestingly the one in the perlite has taken on the appearance of the moon/monkey's ass cultivar. Which backs up my comment in another post where I said that even genetically identical plants can look very different depending on the conditions they experience and even look different under the same conditions.

Posted Image

Edited by mantrid, 03 August 2013 - 19:59 PM.

#47 Davion

Davion
  • Full Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

"I"-'Think' B-&-C R-The-'Best' so-Far ... &-It-'Appears' THART-B May Actually Be IN-The-Progess of-Dividing so-to-Speak!!! >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

#48 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:59 AM

Here's a quick update on the progress of my plant:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#49 Davion

Davion
  • Full Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:09 AM

Looking-'Better' Than-it-Was ... Though Traps R-'Almost' WHITE!!!??? >(*~*)<

#50 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:25 PM

Looking-'Better' Than-it-Was ... Though Traps R-'Almost' WHITE!!!??? >(*~*)<

The photos are a little overexposed, the traps have a slight pink tinge. It might not take on a good colour though, due to the lighting used.

#51 Davion

Davion
  • Full Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

Well ... To-Be HONEST ... "I"m Very-'Suspicious' of-You MOBILE ... "I"m-Setting-UP Another Experiment Tomorrow ... &-Depending On-The-Outcome "I'-Reckon "I"ll-Have-You ON-Jam-&-Toast so-to-Speak ... so "I"m Giving-You This 'One'-Chance to-Come Clean so-to-Speak or-Suffer The-Consequences If-Need-Be so-to-Speak!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

#52 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

Well ... To-Be HONEST ... "I"m Very-'Suspicious' of-You MOBILE ... "I"m-Setting-UP Another Experiment Tomorrow ... &-Depending On-The-Outcome "I'-Reckon "I"ll-Have-You ON-Jam-&-Toast so-to-Speak ... so "I"m Giving-You This 'One'-Chance to-Come Clean so-to-Speak or-Suffer The-Consequences If-Need-Be so-to-Speak!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

I have used approximately 3 parts dried pine needles to one part peat, with a 10mm top layer of fresh (green at time of planting) pine needles. I've used an 18cm tall pot, which is standing in approximately 2.5cm tray of deionised water. I have noticed a oil film forms on the surface of the water, which must come from the needles. The VFT was taken out of my bog garden, where is wasn't doing well. The young growth that you see in the centre of the plant has developed since potting in the pine needles on 24th August 2011. It is under 35W of metal halide lighting.

#53 Davion

Davion
  • Full Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:01 AM

OUGHT Is The-Verb-of-Science so-to-Speak ... There's NO-'Must' About Anything ... You-Either 'Know' or-You INVESTIGATE & 'Find'-Out so-to-Speak.

Something 'Ought'-to-Work Based ON Previous Knowledge, Research &-Investigation ... though it-May-'Not' so-to-Speak.

You-Feed-or-Spray R Nitrogen-Source On-R-CP &-If-They're Eating The-Insects For-Their Nitrogen-Content ... then-They OUGHT to-Grow Bigger, Better & More-Colourfully ... but If-They Don't &-Go-INTO R-Quiescent-Phase ... Then The-Theory Needs-to-be Reaccessed &-Perhaps Modified IN-The-Light of Further-Investigation so-to-Speak!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

If-You're-R Growing-Them Under-Lights ... Then-it-Would be More-Honest to-Photograph-Them Growing-Under-Lights so-to-Speak ... Photographing-Them Outside Could-be Considered Misleading.

"I"-Have Misgivings Regarding The Moss-Growing ON Pot-A ... Considering You-R Reputedly Growing These-Plants UNDER Metal-Halides!!!??? >(*~*)<

#54 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:48 AM

Pot 'A' is not my plant, it's mantrid's. I think that you are getting confused between posts. Mine does not have moss growing on the surface. I stated that mine is growing under metal halide lighting and all the photos I have taken are with the plant illuminated by this lamp.

This is my plant, photographed under the metal halide lamp:

Posted Image
  • Amori and Defalotus like this

#55 Defalotus

Defalotus
  • Full Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

Looks great Mobile! Very nice experiment mantrid!

#56 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

"I"-Have Misgivings Regarding The Moss-Growing ON Pot-A ... Considering You-R Reputedly Growing These-Plants UNDER Metal-Halides!!!??? >(*~*)<

You are confused. Read post 1
and thanks Defalotus

#57 Davion

Davion
  • Full Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:03 AM

OK ... So-We've-'Got' TWO-People Conducting TWO-'Different' Pine-Needle Experiments IN-The-'One'-POST so-to-Speak ... so-THART-May 'Explain' The-Conflicting Results ... so "I"ll Give-Apologies to BOTH-Persons. >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

That-Also Clears-UP The-Placing of The Pine-Needles ON-Top >(*U^)<

OK ... Now With-THART Out-of-The-Way ... "I'-'Want'-to-'Know' Why-MANTRIDS Plants R-Soo-Colourful If-He's 'Just'-Using Sunlight &-'Normal'-PEAT so-to-Speak!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

#58 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:31 AM

OK ... Now With-THART Out-of-The-Way ... "I'-'Want'-to-'Know' Why-MANTRIDS Plants R-Soo-Colourful If-He's 'Just'-Using Sunlight &-'Normal'-PEAT so-to-Speak!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

Why wouldnt they be? They have everything they need to be so.

#59 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 16:50 PM

I'd fully expect mantrid's plants to have good colouration, as they are growing in natural sunlight. Whereas mine is under artificial light, which is clearly not providing sufficient quantities of the correct wavelength for good colouration. My plant is also very upright, which it was not when grown in my bog garden, so I suspect this is something to do with light too. I am going to keep my plant growing through winter, so will see what happens to it long-term.

#60 Davion

Davion
  • Full Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 00:43 AM

"I"-Was 'Thinking' LAST-Night THART-"I"-Was One-of-The-'First' to-Complain Long, Hard &-Loud ABART The-NEW CPUK-Format With Smaller Avatar-Icons Etc, Etc ... so-Again ... Is-It Possible For-People With MOZART-Vision to-Return to-The-'Old'-System so-to-Speak!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)< PLEASE

OK ... With-THART Out-of-The-Way "I"d Like to-State That-"I"ve 'Had' Nearly 40-Years-Worth of Experience with Peat &-Other CP-Related Materials ... so-Unless You're using Some NEW Wonderous Moorland-GOLD Harvested-from Radioactive-Mine IN-Southern-Germany, Midland-China or the Outer-Moons-of Jupiter ... "I"-Have-to-say "I"-Personally don't 'Buy'-It ... but-Perhaps THART's 'Just'-Me.

If-You-Were to-Say The-Plants Were Suffering-from: "LUXURY-Potassium-Consumption" ... "I"d-Be More-Inclined to-'Believe'-You ... For-"I"ve Always Loved-R-Good Story with Some Scientific Connection or Background so-to-Speak ... but-Again Perhaps THART's 'Just'-Me so-to-Speak!!!??? >(*~*)<

Anyway "I"ll-be Interested to-See if MANTRID Can Get-His-Traps to FOUR-Inches IN-Size ... Which "I'-Doubt He'll-be Able to-Obtain If-Indeed He-IS Using High-Potassium-Levels to-Promote Colouration so-to-Speak!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<