• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 japetus

japetus
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 20:53 PM

Hi all,
I decided to construct a barrel bog by my pond and put some hardy CPs on it.
I was wondering if I could put some temperate pings along with the usual hardy suspects (Sarras-D.capensis-Dionaeas) as the temperature might rise quite high during the summer. I presume that Darlingtonia is also out of the question due to the high temperatures. What about Cephs if I put them with their pot and have them removed in winter?

Here's a photo of the new construction:
Posted Image

#2 Defalotus

Defalotus
  • Full Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:10 AM

Sorry I cant help with the ?s but wow you have an amazing pond and the bog garden really compliments it:).

#3 Daniel G

Daniel G
  • Full Members
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Life, Answering Questions, Looking Handsome!
    Getting a better Sarracenia collection.

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:37 AM

I've seen P. Grandiflora left out all winter, and come out of dormancy fine, so one or two of those could be a nice addition :)

A ceph may be possible, but definetly remove it in winter, the can take light freezes, but not -5 below. One thing you should know, D. capensis is Sub-tropical, it can go dormant, but it's best not to let them go through it, try something like a Filiformis, or Anglica, as they're temperate.

Good luck with you Mini-bog :thumbsup:

#4 japetus

japetus
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

Thanks, I'll probably rearrange the setup in winter, or perhaps take the whole bucket somewhere a bit more protected, but at the moment it is summer heat that worries me.
A couple of temperate pings are native over here, but they are usually found in high altitudes, not on sea level as my setup is.

#5 Gaurav

Gaurav
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:38 AM

Very nice natural pics ...........