- - - - -

Perlite in South Wales

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mlong

mlong
  • Full Members
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Caving, running, general outdoors stuff. Oh yeah, and carnivorous plants.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:21 AM

Hi There

I'm down in South Wales (near Abergavenny to be precise) over Easter visiting the family home and am in the process of building a CP bog garden for my mum who has caught the CP fever.

The only thing I'm short on is perlite and need a few hundred litres, does anyone here know somewhere in South Wales that sells perlite in 100 litre bags or similar size? I've found somewhere but it's way over priced, I usually buy it on the internet but with all the bank holidays I doubt I'll be able to get it delivered before I head back up to Bangor in a week's time.

Cheers, hope everyone's having a lovely weekend in the sunshine,

Mark

p.s Come to think of it I'm going to be in Hereford later on in the week so somewhere around there would be fine as well.

Edited by mlong, 25 April 2011 - 09:23 AM.

#2 Francine

Francine
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 17:53 PM

Hi There

I'm down in South Wales (near Abergavenny to be precise) over Easter visiting the family home and am in the process of building a CP bog garden for my mum who has caught the CP fever.

The only thing I'm short on is perlite and need a few hundred litres, does anyone here know somewhere in South Wales that sells perlite in 100 litre bags or similar size? I've found somewhere but it's way over priced, I usually buy it on the internet but with all the bank holidays I doubt I'll be able to get it delivered before I head back up to Bangor in a week's time.

Mark

p.s Come to think of it I'm going to be in Hereford later on in the week so somewhere around there would be fine as well.

#3 Francine

Francine
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 18:00 PM

Hi There

Mark

If it's not too late, you could try these people as they sell in 100 L bags : http://www.william-s...mpost_additives A local stockist might be found on their web site via your post code

(Hope this post works - Dread Machine seems to be playing up - sorry!)
Fran

#4 Alexis

Alexis
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 18:10 PM

If you use perlite in a bog garden it will just float to the top in the rain and then wash away. Use sharp sand instead.

#5 renef

renef
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 23:13 PM

perlite is perfect to use in a bog garden, it won't float to the top.
in all my bogs i use peat and perlite, 1:1.
and finish it with a nice bed of sphagnum.

#6 mlong

mlong
  • Full Members
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Caving, running, general outdoors stuff. Oh yeah, and carnivorous plants.

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

Managed to find someone supplying perlite in 100 l bags just outside of Abergavenny in Nantyderry garden centre, between Llanover and Chain bridge. They also had a few bags of Shamrock as far as I can remember.

The bog has been planted for a few months now and is doing well. The top of the bog is covered with about an inch of just peat and so far the only bits of perlite that have come up are where a few pesky Rooks have been digging for food.