How do you induce dormancy?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mujician

Mujician
  • Full Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:57 AM

Hi, just wondered how you induce dormancy in plants. Surely if they need to, they will do it themselves? Every cp I have had in the past has always died back in the winter, or is this not dormancy? Can you only do it if they are in a terrarium?

#2 Brendan

Brendan
  • Members
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Medicine, Bees, CPs.

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

Hi, just wondered how you induce dormancy in plants. Surely if they need to, they will do it themselves? Every cp I have had in the past has always died back in the winter, or is this not dormancy? Can you only do it if they are in a terrarium?

The shorter photoperiod and colder climate induce certain CPs into dormacy. Given that both requirements are met, the plant will go into the state of dormacy. You cannot do this in a terrarium.

#3 Rokosauros

Rokosauros
  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Growing carnivorous plants, playing computer games, reading

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

Dormancy is induced by shorter photoperiod (light exposure), temperature drop and less watering. You can induce your plants into dormancy any time by reducing the photoperiod and temperature gradually until it mimics the winter environment of that particular CP. If you plants die during the winter and do not grow back in spring, this is most likely caused by other factors i.e fungus attack, extreme drop in temperature. Nepenthes and Heliamphoras do not have dormancy requirements, but they slow down their growth in colder temperatures during the winter.

Hope you can provide a good dormancy for your CPs :sorcerer:
  • dchasselblad74 likes this

#4 Guest_Ean Alexander Traylor_*

Guest_Ean Alexander Traylor_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2011 - 22:10 PM

Yes they will do it there selves with the right light and temp. Yes that is dormancy. No you can do it outside. If you do dormancy in a terrarium you have skill. I grow all of my carnivorous plants outside yes even my tropicals. I don't live in a tropical envirorment either. But my VFT Sarracenia and others except my tropicals which i leave in my greenhouse during the Winter come back every year after dormancy it's a natural occurence and nessicary for it's life.

#5 loligo1964

loligo1964
  • Full Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 23:41 PM

There are various methods, but they are usually reserved for those growing in the tropics, since the plants in temperate zones will do it on their own; and I don't think it would be required in the UK. When I was in those stickier parts of the world, I induced dormancy in Dionaea and Sarracenia by trimming them to the rhizome and packing them in zip-lock bags of dry peat moss for three to four months in the refrigerator -- the vegetable bin. Occasionally I dusted them with an anti-fungal compound but I noticed little difference . . .