Fast Byblis liniflora seed germination

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johns

johns
  • Full Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:41 PM

After reading about germinating Byblis liniflora seeds, I feared it would take months, especially since I didn't do anything special. I sowed 11 seeds on 6 April, and checking today, to my surprise 7 seeds have germinated.

I sowed the seeds on a mix of sand and chopped sphagnum, and put the pot in a zip-loc bag which I placed inside a terrarium, where the temperature has been between 20 and 28 degrees Celsius.

Perhaps I just got lucky this time, but fun nonetheless. :suicide:

#2 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 10 April 2011 - 15:26 PM

Wow! That was pretty fast, I sowed mine about two weeks ago and they're about 1/4 of an inch big now:)

#3 dimitar

dimitar
  • Full Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 13:06 PM

After treatment with bleach, full sun and temperatures around 40C and more, my seeds germinate in just 2 days, although I got the seeds two months ago and they stood in the envelope that I had even forgotten.

#4 Carnivorous-Owen

Carnivorous-Owen
  • Members
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:-Carnivorous Plants-Animals-Researching

Posted 10 July 2011 - 23:01 PM

After reading about germinating Byblis liniflora seeds, I feared it would take months, especially since I didn't do anything special. I sowed 11 seeds on 6 April, and checking today, to my surprise 7 seeds have germinated.

I sowed the seeds on a mix of sand and chopped sphagnum, and put the pot in a zip-loc bag which I placed inside a terrarium, where the temperature has been between 20 and 28 degrees Celsius.

Perhaps I just got lucky this time, but fun nonetheless. :suicide:

Yes, i also noticed this it's quite funny as it's a plant you don't see much of for sale making you think it's perhaps rare. Anyway according to my note diary. I planted and (set fire) to the seeds on 22nd June 2011.
To my surprise by the 7th July 2011 mine has grown a to about 1mm, and looking today the 10th they seem to have grown to nearly 2mm.
Out of 10 seeds, 3 have germinated within 3 weeks. I, like you is quite shocked to see this.
While i set fire to the seeds i didn't put anything around the pot (like a bag) as i coincedently ran out, and it seems as well as the drosera and dionaea (which did have bags) the byblis have also grown quite quick.

Congratulations it's lovely when you see little seedlings isn't it. =]

#5 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,737 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 11 July 2011 - 14:09 PM

A 10% bleach solution usually gets them ready for germination with ~10 days.