- - - - -

Cut back sphagnum moss-allow sarras to grow?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Geoff Walthamstow_*

Guest_Geoff Walthamstow_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2011 - 13:53 PM

Hi all,

I have pot of Sarracenias that are doing very well.....last year however the sphagnum moss growing in the pot grew loads and is now very deep. Probably 2 to 3 inches at it’s deepest point. My question is : Does the sarracenia need light on it’s crown to start it growing in spring and will it be ok to push pitchers up through all that moss or should I chop the moss right back for healthy plant growth? There are a few tiny little pitchers that have grown as you can see from the photos but would they be better if the moss was chopped back ?

Apologies if it's a dumb question...I'm kinda new to this.

Any advice appreciated !

Thanks,

Geoff.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 08 April 2011 - 14:32 PM

Yes they need light in the crown to kick start growth... This is not a dumb question, it's a good question :tu:

#3 Guest_Geoff Walthamstow_*

Guest_Geoff Walthamstow_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2011 - 14:42 PM

Smashing...thanks very much !

I'll get the scissors out.....

Geoff.

#4 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 08 April 2011 - 14:45 PM

:tu: No problem brother....Good Luck