Keeping pots cool

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Trev

Trev
  • Sponsor
  • 894 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 20:46 PM

Trev, are you saying then that VFTs prefer cooler roots?

It figures if you think about it, VFT's roots in the wild wouldn't ever get as hot as they do in a black plastic pot in the sun in a greenhouse.

#22 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,373 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 21:02 PM

I use light blue pots for Heliamphora, Darlingtonia and Drosera regia. I feel it really helps.

I think I still have the blue one that you sent one of my Heliamphora in. This plant is now so big that it's in a large white ceramic pot on my kitchen windowsill.

Don't people feel clay pots work? If you want to drop below ambient temps at the roots?

I currently have a H. pulchella in a tall clay pot on my windowsill and it seems to be doing ok. I would imagine that a bit of evaporative cooling takes place.

It figures if you think about it, VFT's roots in the wild wouldn't ever get as hot as they do in a black plastic pot in the sun in a greenhouse.

Typically sub-surface will be cooler than above ground in nature.

#23 billynomates666

billynomates666
  • Full Members
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:motor bikes, CPs, being happy

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

If you really need to keep your pots cool, put the pot with the plant in, inside a larger pot with either sphagnum, cotton wool, or similar wicking material in the gap between the two pots. Stand the pots in water and the evaporative cooling effect will keep the inner pot lovely and cool.

Works well with Darlingtonia.

Cheers
Steve

#24 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Full Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 17:35 PM

Hello everyone--thanks for the replies. Will try a few of these and see which i have best results with.
Thanks again