• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Full Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 14:29 PM

Hello everyone,

Apologies if i am posting this in the wrong place. My grow house is quite small and gets a lot of direct sun for almost the whole day and i don't want the pots to overheat. [Un]fortunately, they are all black plastic. Is there a way i can keep the pots and the substrate cool over the summer? Would putting the pot inside and empty pot of the same type (so the outer one heats up and the inner one is a bit cooler) be any help?
Any thoughts or advise would be much appreciated.

Regards

Edited by Kryptonite, 04 April 2011 - 14:58 PM.

#2 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 14:32 PM

Hi there...I really don't think heat should be a too big of a problem as long as you keep them wet (the Cobraplant of course being an exception), or have you had problems in the past?

#3 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Full Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 14:52 PM

No not really--it's my first year of growing them in the growhouse. Last year i grew them indoors. It was just something someone mentioned to me got me thinking. Am still very much a beginner and thought it best to check!

Thank you for the reply Amar :)

#4 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 04 April 2011 - 14:55 PM

One trick I learned is to generously cover the top with perlite to reflect the suns heat inducing rays. The only problem is that, as we all know it, perlite floats away when watered, so maybe a fine mesh nylon can be placed on top to hold perlite. In Japan, they designed a special planter box for Darlingtonia where it's a pot inside a box that looks a lot like a tissue(Kleenex) holder. The idea is that the planted Cobra plant is inside this white(reflective) box that has a hole on top for the plant to grow out of, in turn cooling the roots. here is a rough drawing I made of it since I can't find a photo of it, pardon the drawing cause I'm not James :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Edited by dchasselblad74, 04 April 2011 - 15:34 PM.

#5 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,665 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 04 April 2011 - 15:01 PM

If you can, then repot into clay pots, it will keep the roots a lot cooler.

#6 myself

myself
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 15:57 PM

Sink the pots into sand .Top of sand same level as your compost .

#7 petesredtraps

petesredtraps
  • Sponsor
  • 861 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 17:21 PM

You can clad the outside of the pots with Mylar and then for a topping use white aquarium gravel,this is what I do for my D Regia and my Darlingtonias-works well.

#8 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 04 April 2011 - 18:52 PM

You can clad the outside of the pots with Mylar and then for a topping use white aquarium gravel,this is what I do for my D Regia and my Darlingtonias-works well.

Mylar!!!! Yes...That is actually a brilliant idea...I will try this :sweat:

#9 petesredtraps

petesredtraps
  • Sponsor
  • 861 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 20:26 PM

Mylar!!!! Yes...That is actually a brilliant idea...I will try this :sweat:

Yes, just wrap it round and tack it with some shiny duct tape. Mylar is easy to get hold of, not dear, you can get it on Ebay easily. In fact if you want to really pamper Darlingtonia, you can line the pot with Mylar aswell, thus when you use cold water ,it'll stay cool.

#10 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,165 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 20:33 PM

In Japan, they designed a special planter box for Darlingtonia where it's a pot inside a box that looks a lot like a tissue(Kleenex) holder. The idea is that the planted Cobra plant is inside this white(reflective) box that has a hole on top for the plant to grow out of, in turn cooling the roots. here is a rough drawing I made of it since I can't find a photo of it, pardon the drawing cause I'm not James :sweat:

Posted Image

There is a plan for one here: http://bit.ly/fltayy

#11 Trev

Trev
  • Sponsor
  • 864 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 20:47 PM

I'd noticed for years how the plants in the pots at the edges- where the sides are exposed to the sun, always do less well than the others. So last year I cut up a piece of that white plastic cardboard like material- that they use for election posters and for sale signs- and used that to shade the sides of the pots at the edge. It worked well so I'm using it again this year.

Edited by Trev, 04 April 2011 - 20:49 PM.

#12 petesredtraps

petesredtraps
  • Sponsor
  • 861 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 21:54 PM

I'd noticed for years how the plants in the pots at the edges- where the sides are exposed to the sun, always do less well than the others. So last year I cut up a piece of that white plastic cardboard like material- that they use for election posters and for sale signs- and used that to shade the sides of the pots at the edge. It worked well so I'm using it again this year.

Trev, are you saying then that VFTs prefer cooler roots?

#13 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 22:30 PM

There is a plan for one here: http://bit.ly/fltayy

Yup...that's the one I saw months ago...

#14 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 22:33 PM

Yes, just wrap it round and tack it with some shiny duct tape. Mylar is easy to get hold of, not dear, you can get it on Ebay easily. In fact if you want to really pamper Darlingtonia, you can line the pot with Mylar aswell, thus when you use cold water ,it'll stay cool.

I always throw away mylar balloons after my kids get tired of them. Now I will reuse them;)

#15 petesredtraps

petesredtraps
  • Sponsor
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 00:37 AM

I always throw away mylar balloons after my kids get tired of them. Now I will reuse them;)

How resourceful :ohmy: .

#16 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:54 AM

How resourceful :smile: .

More like Frugal than resourceful :ohmy:

#17 D_muscipula

D_muscipula
  • Full Members
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Photography
    Science
    Reading
    Sex
    Poetry
    Folklore

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:59 AM

Why don't you just order some white pots

Posted Image

#18 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:04 AM

I use light blue pots for Heliamphora, Darlingtonia and Drosera regia. I feel it really helps.

#19 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,665 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:38 AM

Don't people feel clay pots work? If you want to drop below ambient temps at the roots?

#20 numpty

numpty
  • Full Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:56 AM

Don't people feel clay pots work? If you want to drop below ambient temps at the roots?

I wonder if there's just an instinctive resistance by some CP growers against clay pots, on account of perceived mineral buildup in the clay, etc.