- - - - -

CPS-Promotions feedback

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ian Salter

Ian Salter
  • Full Members
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:cycling, Lau gar kung fu, P.Cs, C.Ps.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

Hi all.
As the new CPS promotions officer I have taken on the role of organising and arranging a new line of merchandise in general and for the EEE.
We have embroidered Polo shirts with the latest Darlingtonia logo, We have also discussed T-shirts and possibly hoodies and fleeces may be of interest.
I was thinking Baseball caps was another possibility and there may be scope for non clothing items.
There has also been discussions for promotional merchandise regarding the EEE such as logo'd mugs etc..
Balloons seem a compulsory requirement but we need a few more ideas for items that in the pocket of members and non-members alike as these items as always will be available for all.
Please bear in mind there is a budget for the EEE and it has to be viable.

There are tons of products out there but it's about what YOU want to see offered that is important to us.
So get involved everyone and let's have some feedback.

Please can we keep this on topic.
Thanks guys 'n' gals.

Ian Salter
Carnivorous Plant Society
Promotions Officer.

Edited by Ian Salter, 04 April 2011 - 09:30 AM.

#2 numpty

numpty
  • Full Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:52 AM

I'm not a member of the CPS, and doubt I'll be at the EEE, but here's my tuppence worth anyway. If I were to buy CP-related merchandice, I'd be more likely to go for something like a mug with a nice plant photo on it, rather than a fleece or hoodie or similar. For me, the latter might seem a bit ... I don't know ... geeky for public exposure? Whereas I'd be happy to sit in private with my cuppa, musing over the nice plant picture in front of me.

#3 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,373 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:32 AM

I personally prefer the new logo being used for EEE2011, the one HERE. I also suspect that it'll be preferred by younger people, as it's a lot more interesting than a Darlingtonia. To be honest, while the Darlingtonia might look professional for a society logo, the EEE logo would look far more fun and interesting on merchandise and I suspect would appear to more people.

I would be wary of the size that is embroidered/printed on any clothes though, as too large may appear geeky, as numpty has pointed out. For T-shirts I would definately be put off by a big logo that fills the front of the shirt; however, a smaller one on the sleeve would be appealing to me.

How about something for the car? Some people might not want to wear the merchandse but would be happy to put it in their cars - cutomised air freshener with aforementioned sunglasses VFT logo maybe?

Is it possible to get plant pots printed with a logo? If so, how about getting some printed with the EEE logo and planting a VFT in them for sale at EEE2011? Or if printed pots is not possible, how about getting brightly coloured ones which would contrast the logos red colour and apply the logo as a sticker?

Edited by mobile, 05 April 2011 - 07:02 AM.

#4 alexa

alexa
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plant books, running.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:10 AM

Pens?

#5 3Star

3Star
  • Full Members
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Walking, playing guitar, blues and rock music........oh and CP's

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:41 AM

Mouse mats ?

#6 Ian Salter

Ian Salter
  • Full Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:19 AM

Great feedback guys this is what I was looking for.

Mobile,
We are already planning to use new EEE logo but aware that if we don't get the numbers right then we could be left with unsaleable goods after the event.
If we can make this non EEE specific as the logo you pointed out then we could enter items after the event into general CPS promotions.
I personally too had thoughts about the possibility of something more discreet but also the idea of promotional goods is for advertising the CPS so need to discuss this further with my peers.
good input Mobile.

The mugs generally seem to be an agreed item Numpty, what we stick on there is still under discussion, It would be nice to have a CPS logo on one side and plant picture on the other but that would double the setup and printing costs.

I quite like the idea of mouse mats I'll look up the availability and prices.
Pens? Food for thought.

Thanks guys, a great start.

Ian.

#7 Mags

Mags
  • Full Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:35 AM

Key rings maybe?

Edit: maybe even USB pen or something..

Edited by Mags, 05 April 2011 - 10:36 AM.

#8 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

If we can make this non EEE specific as the logo you pointed out then we could enter items after the event into general CPS promotions.
I personally too had thoughts about the possibility of something more discreet but also the idea of promotional goods is for advertising the CPS so need to discuss this further with my peers.

You have to consider the purpose of the merchandise. Whilst it is classed as promotional, how much does it really promote the society? In reality most people that are into CPs will already be aware of the CPS and it is highly unlikely that the first they will be made aware of it is from seeing it on someones T-shirt. If I walking around town with a large CPS logo on my T-shirt (which I wouldn't), how many people do you think will see the logo and think 'I must visit that website'? In truth, the goods are more for merchandising purposes, making money for the society. Would it not be better to have a design that is appealing so that people would like to purchase it, rather than having what in essence is a walking advertising board that people might not like as it's too geeky?

In my opinion, the logo I linked to is far more appealing than the Darlingtonia and being brighlty coloured it would make a nice design for merchandise.

#9 linuxman

linuxman
  • Full Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 17:55 PM

Thought I'd add my two-penneth.

What about doing some gift ware or collectable souvenirs. I was thinking maybe tea-towels, bookmarks, fridge magnets etc.

#10 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 17:59 PM

Thought I'd add my two-penneth.

What about doing some gift ware or collectable souvenirs. I was thinking maybe tea-towels, bookmarks, fridge magnets etc.

Beer glass maybe?

#11 Ian Salter

Ian Salter
  • Full Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 18:30 PM

Beer glass maybe?

Preferably pre-filled, I could do with one now lol.

#12 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 19:09 PM

Preferably pre-filled, I could do with one now lol.

Oh yes... I could just handle a glass of nice real ale right now :smile:

#13 Ian Salter

Ian Salter
  • Full Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 20:01 PM

Oh yes... I could just handle a glass of nice real ale right now :smile:

Guinness is real not that pale ale stuff lol :smile:

#14 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 20:11 PM

Guinness is real not that pale ale stuff lol :smile:

Oh yes, I'm quite partial to a nice pint of Guinness :smile:

#15 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Zoology, Entomology, CPs, Painting, Cycling, Photography

Posted 05 April 2011 - 20:13 PM

I have a feeling Amar is going to get involved in this alcohol soaked conversation anytime soon :smile:

What's wrong with geekiness? Chris Packham would be ashamed of you :smile: although just to make sure you are well informed, I am not a member of the School's Chess club.

Plant pots with the logo would be a good idea I think. Also ornamental pots for growing your best plants in, although I'm not sure of the practicality of that?

#16 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 20:23 PM

I have a feeling Amar is going to get involved in this alcohol soaked conversation anytime soon :smile:

We'll need whisky tumblers then :lol:

What's wrong with geekiness? Chris Packham would be ashamed of you :smile: although just to make sure you are well informed, I am not a member of the School's Chess club.

hmmm... school debating society?