Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Shoulda repotted last year (big picture alert)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BenScoobert

BenScoobert
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 21:17 PM

As a lesson to all of you, don't put off your repotting!!!

I got 12 from this in the end

Posted Image

Still.... 4 days of mucky hard work and all is organised now in my 6x2 piece of insect hell

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:47 AM

As a lesson to all of you, don't put off your repotting!!!

I got 12 from this in the end

Posted Image

Wow!!!! That's a super healthy Cobra, despite it needing dividing and transplanting :wink:

I wish Tonia my darling :JC_cupidboy: Cobra Plant could grow like that...

#3 BenScoobert

BenScoobert
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 18:54 PM

Wow!!!! That's a super healthy Cobra, despite it needing dividing and transplanting :wink:

I wish Tonia my darling :JC_cupidboy: Cobra Plant could grow like that...

I t was no small task teasing it all apart I can tell ya, but 9 of the 12 seem to be doing well.

#4 Daniel G

Daniel G
  • Full Members
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Life, Answering Questions, Looking Handsome!
    Getting a better Sarracenia collection.

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:33 AM

Wow! I'll be repottig every day now!

#5 BenScoobert

BenScoobert
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 18:18 PM

6 of the refugees from the cluster, 2 months later

Posted Image

#6 zeeland

zeeland
  • Full Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 18:27 PM

looking good!!

#7 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:01 AM

6 of the refugees from the cluster, 2 months later

Posted Image

Looks a lot neater( Not that it looked bad before)......Do you have to put ice or do you water it with cold RO water during the hotter months??? How do you cool the roots down??

Edited by dchasselblad74, 30 May 2011 - 02:02 AM.

#8 BenScoobert

BenScoobert
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:21 AM

Looks a lot neater( Not that it looked bad before)......Do you have to put ice or do you water it with cold RO water during the hotter months??? How do you cool the roots down??

I don't do anything other than keep the pots sat in rainwater. My theory is, my greenhouse is a lean-to on an East facing wall, so they don't get the hotter afternoon sun, and I think this is why they seem to thrive.
Also I live in England hardiness zone 7 on the edge of the pennines, which makes it a little cooler here.

#9 MH1

MH1
  • Full Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:53 AM

Do you have to put ice or do you water it with cold RO water during the hotter months??? How do you cool the roots down??

LOL, hot summer months? :sarcastic_hand: I think the record high temperature recorded where I live was around 32C, with an overall average of 18C in summer. Also, the sun isn't so strong this far north, so that helps too. Haha, we can live the Darlingtonia dream over here, we just forfeit any real summer warmth :flag_of_truce:
  • adw likes this

#10 BenScoobert

BenScoobert
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 15:47 PM

LOL, hot summer months? :sarcastic_hand: I think the record high temperature recorded where I live was around 32C, with an overall average of 18C in summer. Also, the sun isn't so strong this far north, so that helps too. Haha, we can live the Darlingtonia dream over here, we just forfeit any real summer warmth :flag_of_truce:

Tis true, my highest recorded INSIDE the greenhouse is 42c, lowest -1.2c

#11 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:13 AM

WOW!!!! I wish your zone is my zone then :red33: Cause our Chicago summers are brutal!! Just today it was 90 Degrees Farenheit....Thats warm for my Helis and Darlingtonias and Highland Neps that I keep outside during the cooler spring weeks..
  • Blocky71 likes this

#12 BenScoobert

BenScoobert
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:38 AM

5 weeks since last piccy

Posted Image

#13 BenScoobert

BenScoobert
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 14:53 PM

I can't believe it a little runner has popped up at the side of the pot on 2 of these already

Posted Image

#14 wadave

wadave
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:CP's, bonsai, and riding my Harley

Posted 12 November 2011 - 17:17 PM

Hi Ben,

I'm so envious of your cobras, I can't seem to get mine to last through the autumn months where our Perth weather fluctuates between low 20s and high 30 deg C. It's the large temp fluctuations at this time of year they seem to hate so much.

I get them to live through summer ok, even though they look pretty rough and ragged but as soon as autumn swings round they seem to fall over pretty quickly.

Why is it always the plants we can't grow which are the ones we love more than the rest????

Kind regards,

Dave.

#15 BenScoobert

BenScoobert
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 00:29 AM

Hi Ben,

I'm so envious of your cobras, I can't seem to get mine to last through the autumn months where our Perth weather fluctuates between low 20s and high 30 deg C. It's the large temp fluctuations at this time of year they seem to hate so much.

I get them to live through summer ok, even though they look pretty rough and ragged but as soon as autumn swings round they seem to fall over pretty quickly.

Why is it always the plants we can't grow which are the ones we love more than the rest????

Kind regards,

Dave.

Do your plants actually die in autumn? Mine lose a few pitchers, but spring revives them with bigger growth than the previous year.

#16 BenScoobert

BenScoobert
  • Full Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

This little lot will need a repot this winter, all potbound already.

IF anyone in the UK wants some then let me know by PM, I'd imagine I'll get 10 decent ones off them minimum.