Bog/water container garden

Guest DannyNepenthes

Guest DannyNepenthes

I am in the proces of building a water/bog garden for my house. I want 1/2 of it to be about 15 inches (maybe 32 CM?) deep water, and the other to be peat bog but still waterlogged. I want to grow one of my lotus plants into the water side, and american pitcher plants of various species in the bog area. I plan to use a half whiskey barrel or similar container. my one big question is, if I made a baricade between the water and peat all but the lower 10CM or so, would that allow the water to wick up into the bog and keep the peat wet? or do i need to rethink this? please let me have some ideas. thanks!

I am in the proces of building a water/bog garden for my house. I want 1/2 of it to be about 15 inches (maybe 32 CM?) deep water, and the other to be peat bog but still waterlogged. I want to grow one of my lotus plants into the water side, and american pitcher plants of various species in the bog area. I plan to use a half whiskey barrel or similar container. my one big question is, if I made a baricade between the water and peat all but the lower 10CM or so, would that allow the water to wick up into the bog and keep the peat wet? or do i need to rethink this? please let me have some ideas. thanks!

Not only will it 'wick up' it will flow into the peat area like a river pushing it up like a volcano until the water is the same depth in both areas. The only ways I can see it work is to keep the two areas totally separate or have the peat bog higher than the water level with a couple of cm overlap of the two then you could have a water link from the top of the water section to the base of the bog and a wick effect will occur.

Guest DannyNepenthes
Not only will it 'wick up' it will flow into the peat area like a river pushing it up like a volcano until the water is the same depth in both areas. The only ways I can see it work is to keep the two areas totally separate or have the peat bog higher than the water level with a couple of cm overlap of the two then you could have a water link from the top of the water section to the base of the bog and a wick effect will occur.

the soil side will be level with the pot lid, and water logged peat should be hard to move. I mean something like this(if my diagram makes any sense)

----------___________

\..........|................. /

\.........|............... /

\ ... open area.... /

Dashed line is peat, solid is water, and the partition runs between the two.

Edited by DannyNepenthes

the soil side will be level with the pot lid, and water logged peat should be hard to move. I mean something like this(if my diagram makes any sense)

----------___________

\..........|................. /

\.........|............... /

\ ... open area.... /

Dashed line is peat, solid is water, and the partition runs between the two.

I think that the weight of the water is higher than the waterlogged peat it will be pushed up.

Yes it will definately push up. Water is fluid it will fill both halves equally. So in the peat half you have filled with peat now has half the volume of water too so in total the peat side will overflow by half. Well a bit less as peat will absorb some and become a stodgy mess. Simple school boy physics.

bogdesign.jpg

Yes it will definately push up. Water is fluid it will fill both halves equally. So in the peat half you have filled with peat now has half the volume of water too so in total the peat side will overflow by half. Well a bit less as peat will absorb some and become a stodgy mess. Simple school boy physics.

bogdesign.jpg

Like that it looks nice but make sure that the peat can't get trough the hole.

I think you can do this with peat block or some sort of foam.

Good luck!!

Guest DannyNepenthes
Like that it looks nice but make sure that the peat can't get trough the hole.

I think you can do this with peat block or some sort of foam.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Some of my hybridized lotus seeds have germinated and the pitchers are coming out of dormancy, so i need to het the thing built pretty soon.I may het one of those pond liners with the shallow area for a waterfall and do some modifications. I'll keep you posted if you want to hear about it.

...................................................... i need to het the thing built pretty soon.I may het one of those pond liners with the shallow area for a waterfall and do some modifications. I'll keep you posted if you want to hear about it.

Hey Danny...what did you mean by "het"???