- - - - -

Sowing and growing of tropical lowland Nepenthes

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Reading books, listening to electronic music, carnivorous plants in my garden

Posted 24 March 2011 - 13:53 PM

I got yesterday on 23/03/2011 my first Nepenthes seeds for own sowing. There were two flower envelopes, each with tons of 1cm filamentary seeds. The shape of the seeds has very surprised me and thought they look different.

Posted Image

This morning I began to build a suitable seed-box. I used two different levels of white plastic boxes in A4 size for it. As substrate I had unfortunately left little peat, so I had to improvise and mixed with coarse ground bark chips from orchid soil and white perlite. The whole was thoroughly mixed with water and straightened. Then I sprinkled about half of their seeds on the ground and covered it with the other box half and put it on our balcony.

Posted Image

In my room I made a small 10x10 cm pot which is covered with foil. This pot is near on my windowsill in the room. I'm wondering how long it takes until the first plants to germinate and which pot is faster.

Posted Image

Here I have here the exact species Description:
Nepenthes rafflesiana "wing tendril alata with brown speckled colour"
Seed Origin: Indonesia, Singkawang area, West Kalimantan
Age of seed: 1.5 months, sowing on 24/03/2011

Edited by Braunbear, 28 July 2011 - 08:53 AM.

#2 nadja77

nadja77
  • Full Members
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Any outdoor activity. Riding my MTB, and hiking are at the top of the list. I love growing all plants that will survive my care, CP's being my firm no 1 of course.

Posted 24 March 2011 - 15:30 PM

Looking good! With so many seeds you should be able to get a good few seedlings!
It might be a good idea to cover the pots with a clear plastic to raise humidity.
Give them as much light as possible while trying to avoid cooking the pots and the seeds.
Good luck!!

#3 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 24 March 2011 - 18:35 PM

It might be a good idea to cover the pots with a clear plastic to raise humidity.

I 100% totally agree... I usually sow my Nep seeds in a smaller pot, then I water it

until it drips from bottom, then I bag it up and seal it completely...Here are pics of

my recent succesful Albomarginata seedlings( One seedling is pitchering already);

http://i1187.photobu.../Plants/1-1.jpg

http://i1187.photobu.../Plants/2-1.jpg

http://i1187.photobu...74/Plants/3.jpg

http://i1187.photobu...74/Plants/4.jpg

It took about 3 - 3 1/2 months before it germinated...

Edited by dchasselblad74, 24 March 2011 - 20:22 PM.

#4 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Reading books, listening to electronic music, carnivorous plants in my garden

Posted 24 March 2011 - 18:48 PM

Thank you, for your answers and pictures.

Of course, I have covered my large box with another (clear) plastic box for larger humidity.
The night temperatures are still too cold, so I bring it in the afternoon into my room.

My small pot in my room is covered with a transparent film.

Greetings
Thomas

#5 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 15:11 PM

I want to give even a small update of my seed.
Signs of a first Nepenthes seedling after 3 days in the small pot with foil. Is this possible so quickly?
Sorry for the bad photo through the film, but I wanted not disturb the air humidity.

Posted Image

Edited by Braunbear, 27 March 2011 - 15:18 PM.

#6 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 27 March 2011 - 16:18 PM

3 days seem a little too fast...Make sure it's not fungus...

#7 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 17:45 PM

3 days seem a little too fast...Make sure it's not fungus...

You are right, that was a little fungus. I threw this one away.

After 4 weeks there are no signs of growing. I hope they will grow soon.

On 12.04.2011, I had sown N. reinwardtiana "red" seeds into my Box too.

Edited by Braunbear, 17 April 2011 - 17:53 PM.

#8 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:28 AM

Yippieh, it worked! I counted today, the first real N. rafflesiana seedlings in my little pot (3 pieces). A picture follows during the day when my camera battery is charged. I'm really happy that my first Nepenthes sowing is successful. :dance4:

In the large seed-box so far is nothing to see.

#9 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 15:28 PM

Here, as I promised, the photo. Below left are already 2 leaves of a plant and top right you will see the green top of a seedling.
Posted Image

Edited by Braunbear, 01 May 2011 - 15:34 PM.

#10 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

I would like to share an update of my germination progress. We see my small breeding pot wich is covered with foil. The pot was always in the west window where it is getting getting full sun at afternoon . In total there were 10 seeds in it, which I have so far 4 small seedlings which now produce the first carnivorous leaves. These are still very small, only 3-4mm. Last week I cut with scissors, 2 small holes through the foil for better air circulation. The pot itself has a moss-created jungle if one can call it that. Enclosed are the photos of today.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Unfortunately, in my big breeding box there is nothing to see anything yet. Probably the humidity is to low by the large area? In the photo you can see so far only isolate green moss, but no seeds germinated. I haven't use an additional lighting.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 TheInactiveMoth

TheInactiveMoth
  • Full Members
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Arsenal & Notts County FC
    Ninjutsu
    Growing carnivorous plants
    Keeping tropical fish
    Playing guitar and piano
    Playing video games!

Posted 19 May 2011 - 18:10 PM

Wow Thomas! I love the photos! This thread is useful to me, because soon I'll be growing Nepenthes Albomarginata from seed.
Thanks!

#12 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 20:31 PM

Total: N. reinwardtiana "red" 11 pieces
N. rafflesiana var. alata 15 pieces
Posted Image

Update N. rafflesiana, small pot:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Update N. reinwardtiana "red": 06.06.2011
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Greetings, Thomas.

Edited by Braunbear, 29 June 2011 - 20:38 PM.

#13 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:07 AM

Update: 28.07.2011

My goodness, again around a month. That is quick. Let's see what has been happening in my breeding in the last time.

I count up now following amount of seedlings:
N. rafflesiana var. alata = 19 seedlings
N. reinwardtiana "red" = 9 seedlings

The best growth occurs in my little rafflesiana pot. The plastic wrap is still on it. The moss has grown very high, which will benefit the humidity. It was not easy to make a good picture of it. The seedlings here already show a rosette-like growth. After almost three months now they are 1 centimeter in size.
Posted Image

The other seedlings also growing well, although more slowly. The oldest N. reinwardtiana seedlings have 2 carnivorous leaves at the age of 2 months.
Posted Image

Here I have a picture of the whole breeding box. For better humidity here, I used as a cover upside down clear plastic packaging from tomatoes. I spray it regularly with water.
Posted Image

I hope you like my montly report. I have change the title of my topic for better information.

Until next time!
Regards Thomas

#14 jb_orchidguy

jb_orchidguy
  • Full Members
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Orchids and CPs

Posted 29 September 2011 - 14:01 PM

Awesome! How are they coming along now? I have 5 trays of verious seed sown and so far no strikes, but I am still hopeful.

#15 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 19:21 PM

After a little absence, I want to show you the update of my Nepenthes breeding for November 2011.

Overview:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Detailed view: Nepenthes rafflesiana var. alata
Posted Image

Detailed view: Nepenthes reinwardtiana red
Posted Image

#16 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

Update 26. February 2012

I've bought in the meantime, an additional LED table lamp for better lighting. This was well received by the small Nepenthes. The observations, it appears that N. reinwardtiana (lower rows) are stronger than the N. rafflesiana, although my culture conditions are the same.

I think they have ended the status of a seedling and I can call them young plants. So far I have not seen any appreciable coloration of the pitchers. They are all still very green.

My photo camera is not very good for macro shots. It took me several attempts until a halfway decent photo are done. :wacko:

Enjoy the pictures. ;)

Overview:
Posted Image

Detail: Nepenthes reinwardtiana "red"
Posted Image

Detail: Nepenthes rafflesiana var. alata
Posted Image

Edited by Braunbear, 26 February 2012 - 10:37 AM.

#17 nadja77

nadja77
  • Full Members
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Any outdoor activity. Riding my MTB, and hiking are at the top of the list. I love growing all plants that will survive my care, CP's being my firm no 1 of course.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

Your plants are looking great! I always find it very rewarding to have my efforts finally pay off by getting some decent growth after the seemingly endless tiny seedling stage. My N.reinwardtiana seedlings are nowhere near that far. I find that plants in an airier mix grow better and, for all I can tell, quicker, so my medium contains a lot of perlite to help drainage and aerate the roots.

#18 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,664 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

Reinwardtiana is not as lowland as rafflesiana and the leaves have a waxy coating which makes them quite easy to grow in most rooms so it makes sense they would grow faster, raffs really like warmer temps year round, growing at room temps can be very hit or miss with a few degrees making a huge difference.

#19 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 18:31 PM

Reinwardtiana is not as lowland as rafflesiana and the leaves have a waxy coating which makes them quite easy to grow in most rooms so it makes sense they would grow faster, raffs really like warmer temps year round, growing at room temps can be very hit or miss with a few degrees making a huge difference.

Hello manders,

thank you for your answer. Now I understand the different growth of both species. After my internet search, I found that N. reinwardtiana is an Intermediate Plant (1000m - 1500m) and N. rafflesiana ist a true lowland plant (500m - 1000m). Both species require a bit different temperatures. My Hometown is at 200m over the sea. My room temperatures also correspond to the N. reinwardtiana species.

Nepenthes reinwardtiana (0-2200 m)
Day: 24-29°C / Night: 13-18° C

Nepenthes rafflesiana (0-1500 m)
Day: 27-32°C / Night: 18-21° C

Source: Nepenthes Altitudinal Distribution Chart

Kind regards,
Thomas

#20 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 18:35 PM

Update: July 2012

Posted Image

Posted Image

Greetings
Thomas