- - - - -

The Most Expensive Orchid in The World

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 10 March 2011 - 16:42 PM

Most Expensive Orchid by jeremy on July 3, 2009 ·

Kinabalu National Park in Sabah, Malaysia—named for Borneo’s largest mountain, Mount Kinabalu—is home to many

unique species of carnivorous plants and orchids. Only one of these plants, however, can be

called the “Gold of Kinabalu”—the most expensive orchid in the world.Also known as

Rothschild’s Slipper, P. rothschildianum is an endangered species of orchid that can take up to 15 years to flower.

This rare orchid can be identified by its petals, which it holds horizontally in up to six large flowers.

The world’s most expensive orchid can be seen in a fenced off area of Kinabalu National Park.

If you’d like to see it, though, you’ll want to go during its peak flowering season in April and

May. A single stem of P. rothschildianum can be worth $5,000.

http://most-expensive.net/orchid

Edited by dchasselblad74, 10 March 2011 - 16:43 PM.

#2 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 10 March 2011 - 18:43 PM

Rothschild. Ha! Very appropriate!

#3 TheInactiveMoth

TheInactiveMoth
  • Full Members
  • 930 posts
  • Interests:Arsenal & Notts County FC
    Ninjutsu
    Growing carnivorous plants
    Keeping tropical fish
    Playing guitar and piano
    Playing video games!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 18:50 PM

Those are easily(ish) accessible for sale (on the Internet, not as a cut flower) nowadays. I've seen it on sale at least. Still very expensive, and obviously grown via in vitro or something.

#4 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 10 March 2011 - 19:58 PM

Rothschild. Ha! Very appropriate!

Pardon my ignorance, who's P. Rothschild?

#5 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 10 March 2011 - 21:10 PM

http://en.wikipedia....uton_Rothschild

#6 Jerry Copeland

Jerry Copeland
  • Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Research into cultivation of Lycoposida & bryophytes.

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:23 AM

You know it is really odd how something that just does not have the pizzazz of a cattleya or even a Zygopetalum is somehow coveted just because it was so hard to find or to grow. I much rather have an ordinary cymbidium instead!

#7 Sean Spence

Sean Spence
  • Full Members
  • 2,153 posts
  • Interests:CP's particularly Drosera, Australian Terrestrial Orchids, Rupicolous Brazilian Laelia Orchids, Arisaema, Stapeliads, Bromeliads.

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:42 AM

Irrelevant of the value or rarity, I find it much more appealing than a run of the mill Cattleya or Zygo- particularly the hybrids of those. If I loved supposed beautiful or attractive things, I probably wouldn't be so keen on CPs (or stapeliads, Arisaemas, etc.). Just my opinion.