Shoul I break up dormancy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 japetus

japetus
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:45 AM

Would it be a good idea to bring inside my VFTs for a month or so at this time in order to break their dormancy and give them an earlier start?
Are three months of dormancy enough?

#2 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 06 March 2011 - 15:01 PM

I think 3 months is good enough, as long as you can provide warmth and sun. Where VFTs grow naturally, which is in the Carolinas in the US, they

get about 3 months of dormancy.

#3 Alexis

Alexis
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 16:28 PM

In your climate I don't see the point. Shouldn't they just be outside permanently in a couple of weeks?

#4 japetus

japetus
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 19:06 PM

In your climate I don't see the point. Shouldn't they just be outside permanently in a couple of weeks?

Correct. It's just that down here March traditionally offers some sudden and severe colds that usually set back the development of plants that have awaken and started to grow..
March is notorious for the destruction of the crops on trees that have early flowering.

#5 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 06 March 2011 - 19:43 PM

Correct. It's just that down here March traditionally offers some sudden and severe colds that usually set back the development of plants that have awaken and started to grow..
March is notorious for the destruction of the crops on trees that have early flowering.

I see what you're saying, here in Chicago its the same, but VFTs are quite durable, but if it gets really cold, my

advice is for you to take them inside the house until weather becomes nice again. I actually have my VFTs outdoors

year round(covered in thick layers of straw in winter). Good luck

#6 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,234 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 07 March 2011 - 16:45 PM

Ive looked at the average temps in greece and even your mid winter, temps are no problem for VFT. Cant speak for your local plants but sudden spring time drops in a greece spring is nothing to worry about. In in UK and at the moment its sunny in the day with temps of about 10C and night time its dropping to about 0C and all my VFTs are waking up and putting out new growth some even have flower stalks already.