* * * * * 2 votes

Carnivorous plants on stamps

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Reading books, listening to electronic music, carnivorous plants in my garden

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

First, I want to introduce myself. My name is Thomas, I am 29 Years old. I live in Hettstedt, a small town in the middle of Germany. My fascination of the carnivorous plant had begun in 2008 with a small sarracenia pitcher plant. Today I have a small bog-container in my garden with various Sarracenias.

In addition to collecting real carnivores plants, I am also a stamp collector. In search of a new collection area I had the idea: "Why not combine two hobbies?" So I am looking for stamps with carnivorous plant motifs. This stamp collection area sounds very exotic and I don't know anyone in my area who collects this too.

I'm going to get this moving carnivorous plants closer to show some of my stamps and letters purchased in bulk. If possible I would have any information about the illustrated stamps or letters to write down as far as I known.

According to my knowledge were far from 39 countries worldwide over 138 different stamps (including variants) issue. Many of these stamps are hard to get but it's looking very attractive after that and build up the collection.

Table of contents
Date Plant
24.04.1962 Sarracenia purpurea
23.02.1966 Sarracenia purpurea
25.08.1966 Aldrovanda vesiculosa
29.12.1970 Nepenthes pervillei
1971-1986 Heliamphora nutans
06.08.1973 Nepenthes pervillei
17.05.1974 Nepenthes mirabilis (phyllamphora)
10.04.1978 Nepenthes pervillei
08.06.1978 Pinguicula ramosa
12.06.1978 Pinguicula grandiflora
08.06.1985 Sarracenia oreophila
29.11.1985 Sarracenia purpurea
28.12.1985 Triphyophyllum peltatum (not in Collection)
12.11.1986 Nepenthes vieillardii
12.03.1987 Nepenthes mirabilis
10.04.1987 Drosera rotundifolia
08.02.1988 Pinguicula vulgaris
1989 Nepenthes rafflesiana
08.06.1990 Nepenthes pervillei
28.10.1991 Sarracenia flava
28.10.1991 Nepenthes x mixta
12.09.1992 Drosera rotundifolia
27.01.1993 Nepenthes
15.11.1994 Utricularia delphinoides, Utricularia minutissima, Utricularia bifida
10.08.1995 Nepenthes
24.08.1995 Nepenthes villosa, Dionaea muscipula, Sarracenia flava, Sarracenia purpurea, Nepenthes ampullaria, Nepenthes gracilis
09.10.1995 Sarracenia x moorei
31.10.1995 Nepenthes hybrid
14.03.1996 Darlingtonia califonica
14.03.1996 Cephalotus follicularis
06.04.1996 Nepenthes sanguinea, rajah, lowii, macfarlanei
02.12.1996 Nepenthes
01.08.1997 Aldrovanda vesiculosa
18.06.1999 Drosera (rotundifolia)
1999 Sarracenia flava (not in collection)
1999 Nepenthes (not in collection)
31.12.1999 Nepenthes lowii
2000 various carnivorous plants
09.05.2000 Drosera anglica
02.10.2000 Nepenthes rafflesiana
10.07.2001 Utricularia vulgaris
23.08.2001 Dionaea muscipula, Sarracenia flava, Darlingtonia californica, Drosera anglica
04.03.2002 Nepenthes mirabilis
26.04.2002 Sarracenia flava, Sarracenia minor
17.12.2002 Nepenthes
15.11.2004 Utricularia bifida
10.02.2005 various carnivorous plants
24.03.2005 Nepenthes khasiana
01.08.2005 various carnivorous plants
26.04.2006 Nepenthes muluensis
2006 various sundews
09.10.2006 Nepenthes mirabilis, Drosera burmannii
31.10.2006 Nepenthes ampullaria
19.12.2006 Utricularia intermedia
01.03.2007 Pinguicula grandiflora
06.07.2007 Sarracenia purpurea
03.08.2007 Nepenthes mirabilis, Nepenthes ampullaria
29.09.2007 Drosera intermedia, Utricularia cornuta, Sarracenia purpurea, Pinguicula vulgaris
05.09.2008 Nepenthes rafflesiana
2009 Archaeamphora longicervia
2009 Drosera Peltata
2010 Drosera rotundifolia
2010 Sarracenia purpurea
2010 Nepenthes mirabilis (?)
2011 Drosera aliciae, Sarracenia leucophylla, Nepenthes merilliana
25.03.2011 Drosera rotundifolia
03.07.2011 Drosera rotundifolia
2011 Nepenthes vieillardii
2011 Sarracenia alata and Dionaea muscipula
Today I present here the very first postage stamp with the subject in front of a carnivorous plant. The stamp was issued by Saint Pierre and Miquelon in 1962. It shows the most common pitcher plant on the North American continent: a flowering Sarracenia purpurea.

Saint-Pierre and Miquelon is a small group of islands east of the Canadian coast, about 25 miles south of Newfoundland. There live well 6,300 people. Main occupations of the French-speaking population are fishing and tourism. The capital is Saint-Pierre. The islands represent the last remnants of the French colony of New France since 1816 and are consistently a French overseas territory.

Issue date: 24 April 1962
Stamp Size: 51mm x 31mm
Value: 100 RF Franc
Posted Image

I apologize in advance if my English contains typographical errors.

Edited by Braunbear, 03 March 2012 - 12:30 PM.

#2 japetus

japetus
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

Welcome Thomas, very nice post!
I was always thinking about creating a post like this, but never had the time. I hope that you will continue to contribute in it, in order to create an as-complete-as-it-could-be list of CP thematic stamps.

Nick

#3 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Reading books, listening to electronic music, carnivorous plants in my garden

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:52 AM

Today I want to go to the north of the American continent, Canada!
This stamp is part of a coat of arms of Canada series of 12 stamps. They show the various Canadian provinces. On every stamp the floral emblem and the emblem of the province will be honored.

The stamp with the province of Newfoundland, is decorated with a Sarracenia purpurea. This carnivorous plant is found there in the wild very often.

Issue reason: Canadian provinces
Issue date: 23. February 1966
Value: 5 Canadian cents

As pictures I show a double stamp from the sheet edge and the accompanying First Day Cover.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 14:23 PM

For the third stamp with a carnivorous plant we are going to Europe.
This stamp from Romania was issued in 1966 and is part of a series with 8 stamps. The issue shows the aquatic flora of Romania. The third stamp value has the subject of Aldrovanda vesiculosa.

Issue reason: Aquatic Fauna of Romania
Issue date: 25 August 1966
Value: 20 Bani

Posted Image

Edited by Braunbear, 07 March 2011 - 14:56 PM.

#5 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 15:22 PM

The Republic of Seychelles is an island nation in the Indian Ocean. It lies east of Africa and north of Madagascar and Mauritius. Between Africa and the Seychelles are the Comoros. In 1970 the first stamp of the archipelago with a tropical pitcher plant was issued. This native pitcher plant is called Nepenthes pervillei.

Issue date: 29 December 1970
Value: 20 cents

Pictures: single stamp and complete sheet.
Posted Image
Posted Image

In 1978, a further stamp came out with the pitcher plant Nepenthes pervillei, of which there were 4 different types with different values and heraldic symbols. The second edition, as shown in the image, which was issued in 1980. Two other later editions were later published in the year 1980-81.

Issue date: 10 April 1978
Value: 15 Seychelles Rupee

Posted Image

Another stamp with Nepenthes pervillei was published in 1983. The stamp is part of a series with four stamps to commemorate the centennial anniversary of the visit of Marianne North in this island group. Marianne North was a botanist-artist who designed this stamp drawings and had a pitcher plant named after your name (Nepenthes northiana).

Issue date: 17 November 1983
Value: 7 Seychelles Rupee

Posted Image

#6 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

This stamp was issued in 1971 in Guyana, South America. This is the first stamp which shows a south pitcher plant (Heliamphora). In this case, it is Heliamphora nutans. This carnivorous plant is a native of five species from the Mount Roraima mountains (over 2800 meters above sea level in Guyana).

But this single stamp that has been something special! In the course of time after the initial issue the stamps got through the postal administration of Guyana in 15 years no less than 23 Porto overprints! The last of this issue with a porto overprint was released in 1986. I'm still looking for these overprint stamps.

Posted Image

#7 Trev

Trev
  • Sponsor
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 23:47 PM

I was just sticking one of these on an envelope a few minutes ago.

Posted Image

Trev.

#8 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Zoology, Entomology, CPs, Painting, Cycling, Photography

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:50 AM

Fabulous stamps there. Are there any with VFTs?

#9 japetus

japetus
  • Full Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:16 AM

Of course there are.. I suggest we wait and let Braunbear list the stamps at his pace with the chronological order he started...

#10 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:46 AM

I was just sticking one of these on an envelope a few minutes ago.
Trev.

Yes, this is a stamp with a right carnivorous plant.

Of course there are.. I suggest we wait and let Braunbear list the stamps at his pace with the chronological order he started...

Yes, there are also stamps with Venus Flytraps, too. I will present these stamps later during my chronological order. Please stay patient. :sun_bespectacled:

#11 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:15 AM

These two stamps from Madagascar of 1973, the pitcher plant Nepenthes pervillei dedicated. Although other pitcher plants are native to the 590,000 square meter island east of Africa, this species is shown to be found only on the Seychelles. The stamp design is very stylized, with a cross section through the pitcher as shown. In addition to the perforated issue, there's also a non-perforated issue.

Issue date: 6. August 1973
Stamp size: 38.5 mm x 38.5 mm
Values: 25 F / 40 F

Posted Image

#12 mrAlmond

mrAlmond
  • Full Members
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:New/dark wave and Carnivorous plants

Posted 10 March 2011 - 13:02 PM

Wow! Nice findings!!

#13 Guest_paultemple_*

Guest_paultemple_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:28 AM

Hi!

Nice to find my name embedded in the start of a topic.

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that if you like the idea of collecting CPson stamps, then thee certaiinly are a few stamps to hunt down.

As. To the bad news, if you think you'll end up with a partly filled albm, think again. I'm not going to argue with how many different CP stamp designs there are (because for the next 3 days I'm not near my stamps to count them) and the same goes for the numbeR of countries that have issues.

But, if you include stamps with CPs, variations, errors, FDCs and all things philatelic, thenbe aware that I have over 10 full albums and my collection is still incomplEte. OK, I admit ioo include. Whole issues even if an iissue of two or more stamps. Includes only one with a CP onit. However, even without non-CP stamps from issues that include CPs, there are still LOTS!!!

As just one example, my collection of the Indian Nepenthes stamp (just that one stamp) fills an entire album. And as I'm on the subject, be aware that jst that stamp will cost a fortune to collect if you include all the error variants - - have specimens worth thousands of UK Pounds sterling EACH!

For those of you willing to rise to the. Challenge. -- enjoy!!!

Cheers

Paul

#14 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:57 AM

@paultemple

You are right. When I want to collect every stamp with errors, varieties and other things, the collection ist still incomplete.
But it is very exciting to find new issued stamps from a country or even varieties.

And now, the stamp presentation for today.

Laos (Lao PDR) is the only landlocked country in Southeast Asia. It borders on China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Myanmar and has almost seven million square inhabitants in an area of 236.8 thousand km. Capital and largest city is Vientiane.

This stamp was issued in 1974 by the postal administration of Laos. It is part of a series of three stamps that show the flora of Laos. As one of the plant motifs they chose the pitcher plant Nepenthes phyllamphora. This species is now known under the name Nepenthes mirabilis.

Issue date: 17. May 1974
Stamp size: 40 mm x 40 mm
Value: 500 K

Posted Image

#15 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 13:06 PM

Yesterday's earthquake in Japan has shocked me, too. Therefore, it is a coincidence that today I am presenting stamps from there. Even in the land of the rising sun you can find stamps with carnivorous plants.

The first Japanese postage stamp with the motive of a carnivorous plant was issued at 8 June 1978. It shows the butterwort "Pinguicula ramosa". This stamp is a part of a series with three stamps to the flora of Japan. Such "Mexican" species there are also indigenous to the Japanese island.
Posted Image

On 1 August 1997, Japan has issued a stamp with a waterwheel plant "Aldrovanda vesiculosa". These carnivorous aquatic plant is native to swamps in the regional Hozoji (Saitama). This seems that this species will be extinct in Europe, Asia, Australia and France. Nevertheless, we still find them in Japan.
Posted Image

In 2009, a local postal service in Japan issued an 8-part series on the fauna and flora. One of this stamp shows the tropical pitcher plant Nepenthes melamphora (Reinward) = Nepenthes gymnamphora Reinw. ex Nees. Japan is not a tropical country, and you can't find one of these species. The stamp image was drawn by Ernst Haeckel (February 16, 1834 – August 9, 1919) in 1904. He was an eminent German biologist, naturalist, philosopher, physician, professor and artist. Haeckel promoted and popularized Charles Darwin's work in Germany.
Posted Image

#16 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:11 AM

Today we visit the island next to the United Kingdom: Ireland!
The first stamp with a carnicorous plant in Ireland was issued in 12 June 1978. The stamp shows the butterwort Pinguicula grandiflora. This plant is indigenous on the island.

Issued event: Irish Flora
Value: 11 P
Number of copies: 2.000.000 units

Another plant was issued in 9. October 1995, then with the crossed pitcher plant Sarracenia x moorei (S. x [flava x leucophylla].

Issued event: 200 years Botanical gardens in Ireland: Rare Plants
Value: 38 P
Number of copies: 500.000 units
Posted ImagePosted Image

Finally in 1 March 2007 Ireland issued two equal stamps, but with difference postal values. These stamps are available in stampbooklets and they are self-adhesive. The motive is the butterwort Pinguicula grandiflora again.
Issued event: Irish Flora
Value: 55 P for Inland use, N for abroad (I think ;) )
Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Braunbear, 13 March 2011 - 09:21 AM.

#17 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:39 PM

On 8 June 1985 the postal authorities of the Ivory Coast issued a 4parts series of stamps with bird motives. One stamp shows a Great Crested Grebe and you can find in the image the pitcher plant "Sarracenia oreophila". This pitcher plant is not found naturally in the African country. The stamp series is dedicated to the American ornithologist and artist John James Audubon (April 26, 1785 in Les Cayes, Haiti; † 27 January 1851 in New York).

http://en.wikipedia....n_James_Audubon

Posted Image

#18 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

New Caledonia is an island group the southwestern Pacific. France took they in possession in September 1853. The island group becomes in 18.01.1860 a French colony and in 27.10.1946 a French overseas territory. The capital is Noumea. 1986 issued the postal administration for the Society for Nature Conservation, a special stamp. There is shown, with other plants, the tropical pitcher plant "Nepenthes vieillardii".

Issue reason: Society for Nature Conservation
Issue date: 12 November 1986
Value: 73 Fr

Posted Image

#19 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:01 AM

Palau is an island nation in the Pacific Ocean. This Pacific island region is assigned to Micronesia. The island region is formed from the western archipelago of the Caroline Islands. Palau is located north of Papua New Guinea and has some far-flung islands in the southwest (southwestern islands called). The six island-groups of the Palau Islands consist of 356 islands, the largest by far with 396 km² is Babelthuap. Only eleven of the islands are inhabited.

On 12 March 1987 issued the post office in Palau, a 13-part series of stamps out with plant motives. The stamp with the value of $ 2, the pitcher plant Nepenthes mirabilis is shown. This pitcher plant is found in Southeast Asia and also in Palau. The stamp with the highest stamp value ($ 10) all the flowers of the plants are shown. Top left is the flower of Nepenthes mirabilis.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Braunbear

Braunbear
  • Full Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:46 AM

Now, we are going back to Europe, more specifically to the Faroe Islands. This, from the year 1988 issued postage stamp shows the European butterwort (Pinguicula vulgaris). The corresponding stamp set consisted of four stamps dedicated to the flora of the Faroe Islands. The highest value indicates the butterwort motive. It is therefore natural that this plant can also be found in this country. The images shows the single stamp and the first day cover with 4 stamps.

Issue reason: Flora of the Faroe Islands, part I
Issue date: 8 February 1988
Value: 9 Faroe-crown

Posted ImagePosted Image