• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 durham

durham
  • Full Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:10 AM

Hi all,

I've been looking at getting a good centrifugal humidifier this year for my highland neps.

These seem to be quite expensive, in the £250-500 mark, but are they worth it?

Does any one use these? Are there any cheaper alternatives?

Cheers

#2 Phil Green

Phil Green
  • Full Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:08 PM

It's probably going to come down to personal opinion.

I grow a load of highland and lowland Neps and don't use any kind of humidifier.
My lowlands are in an almost sealed unit and don't need any extra humidity. Whilst most of my highlands are in an indoors room and still don't need any extra humidity. Highlanders don't need as high a humidity as lowlanders and it seems anything above about 60% is fine and in the UK I find it's pretty hard to get anywhere near much lower than this.

Do they look unhappy as if they need more humidity at the moment - what is your current humidity ?

I'd say spend your money on something else - larger gowing area / more Neps :sarcastic_hand:

#3 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:14 PM

Hello Durham,

I recently purchased a humidifier for my Highland Neps and Heliamphoras, and since I grow all of my tropical plants in the windowsill, I wanted a

compact but very efficient humidifier that also looked presentable since its by the living room so I purchased an Air-O-Swiss humidifier. Here is the

link http://www.airoswiss...DepartmentId=34 I love this model, since its fully digital and easy to operate and can humidify just

about the whole house. I also love the feature that can warm up or cool down the super fine mist that it produces. I set it on warm during the day and

cool at night and my plants seem to be thriving. I'm not sure if this will at all benefit you, but I thought I'd post it since its Humidification...Good luck

Best Regards

#4 durham

durham
  • Full Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:31 PM

Most of my plants don't seem to be that fussy, however since moving a few into a terrarium where the humidity is a lot higher (80%+) they've started growing a hell of a lot faster, with much larger pitchers, despite identical temperatures, growing media, etc.

Its only really for species like jacquelineae, aristolochoiodes, jamban and flava that seem to really need it, and occasionally the hamatas.

Unfortunately my greenhouse doesn't have a paved floor, so I throw water over it to raise the humidity and it just drains away into the ground.

#5 DaveC

DaveC
  • Members
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:CPs<br />MMA

Posted 17 February 2011 - 14:46 PM

Unfortunately my greenhouse doesn't have a paved floor, so I throw water over it to raise the humidity and it just drains away into the ground.

My highland greenhouse only has a paved central path. Either side I dug a shallow dip then covered them with pond liner and bark chippings. In the height of the summer I give those areas a soaking and they seem to stay damp for a few days which certainly seems to help with the humidity.

#6 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,853 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 17 February 2011 - 19:34 PM

I've been using this in a conservatory,

Humidifier

It's cheap, i refill it every 4-5 days and works well if you buy humidistat to switch it on and off.

#7 bodaciousbonsai

bodaciousbonsai
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Orchids,Bonsai trees,Carnivorous Plants, Alpine Gardens, Sinninngias, etc.... If its green or black i can grow it

Posted 20 January 2012 - 18:38 PM

Hi all,

I've been looking at getting a good centrifugal humidifier this year for my highland neps.

These seem to be quite expensive, in the £250-500 mark, but are they worth it?

Does any one use these? Are there any cheaper alternatives?

Cheers

I bought the pro Mist king system for my green house.it comes with a minutes and seconds timer with 4 on and off settings works great. easily adjust to your required humidity settings