- - - - -

Propagator heating using rope light.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Peabody

Peabody
  • Full Members
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:I am mostly interested in VFT's but I am having a go at Cephalotus.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 15:36 PM

I have noticed that Clas Olson are selling their rope light for £4.99. I thought it might make a good heating element for a large propagator and so I did some Googling and found that other people have been using rope lights. They are typically approx 6 Watts per foot so a 7 meter rope light would be nicely over 100 Watts. It could be used with a dimmer to manually lower the temperature and extend the life of the incandescent bulbs. I already have a nice electronic thermostat so I would be using it rather than a dimmer.

#2 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,344 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:22 AM

Should work but I don't know how long the bulbs would last, as in my experience they are typically short-lived. Personally i would not be comfortable with having one directly buried in the soil, as there is no guarantee that it is impermeable to water and over time it might breakdown. A possibly better method might be to bury it in sand in a tub and then place another planting tub inside, atop of the sand.