Watering methods?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hornet

Hornet
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 13:48 PM

Just wondering how people water their cp's? All of mine (bar nepenthes) are grown out doors in trays of water which i keep topped up with rain water, only time they get overhead watering is when it rains (almost daily here at the moment) and they seem to be loving it, the VFT's are producing nice healthy traps and most of the drosera are now flowering. Do you guys water from above or below and why?

#2 billynomates666

billynomates666
  • Full Members
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:motor bikes, CPs, being happy

Posted 06 January 2011 - 15:02 PM

Hi Hornet

The plants I have in pots, rather than bogs, I similarly grow outddors using a tray method, but I do tend to water about once a week (if required) from overhead and I think it benifits the plants by 'sluicing'through the media (to what benifit I dont know but it seems to work) and by wetting and therefore cleaning the surfaces of dust and atmospheric smuts. Also all plants in reality get overhead watering by virtue of rainfall anyway, so have evolved and are designed for and expect it.

There are a lot more theoretically trained and practical growers out there who will explain the benifits to us in a more erudite manner I'm sure.

Looking forward to it

Cheers
Steve

Edited by billynomates666, 06 January 2011 - 15:09 PM.

#3 Binataboy

Binataboy
  • Full Members
  • 583 posts
  • Interests:Cps Aquariums Fossils etc...

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:30 AM

I found that if there is no overhead watering you tend get salts building up on the surface. Every now and then I would give them a good watering with a watering can.

Cheers
George

#4 Joseph Clemens

Joseph Clemens
  • Members
  • 810 posts
  • Interests:CP, Bamboo, Orchids, Quail, Bees, Koi . . .

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:55 AM

Until I either finish a greenhouse or some other way to grow outdoors here in Tucson, Arizona, U. S. A. I will continue growing indoors under fluorescent lights, in plastic trays. So, my watering method is the "tray method". I try to always keep at least a little water in all the trays, topping up the level whenever I discover it to become somewhat low.