Low Light Levels

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Caldwell

Tim Caldwell
  • Full Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

I bought my first Drosophyllum a month ago, which I'm growing in a north-facing window (so facing towards the sun in this hemisphere). But at this time of year the sun is very high in the sky and the plants aren't getting much direct sun. I've noticed that the stalk is growing very quickly and the new leaves are much more widely spaced than the ones that came with the plant when I bought it.

Also, I don't know if it's related to sunlight or something else, but since I got the plant the leaves aren't unfurling all the way, and so aren't as long as the earlier leaves.

The amount of direct sunlight is increasing again now, but do I have anything to worry about? Is the problem with the leaves due to the shortage of sunlight, or do I have some other problem?

Edited by Tim Caldwell, 02 January 2011 - 13:03 PM.

#2 crumble

crumble
  • Members
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:C.P's, cacti and succulents,

Posted 17 January 2011 - 16:59 PM

It sounds like it needs more light.

#3 zeeland

zeeland
  • Full Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 21:05 PM

i putted mine inside and now 4 out of 5 died :thank_you2: so i putted the laste one outside yesterday.
I hope it will make it.
The plants where standing on a north and a south window so the light had nothing to doo with it :girl_angel:

#4 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 21:54 PM

Tim, can you not put it outside?

#5 Tim Caldwell

Tim Caldwell
  • Full Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:45 AM

Tim, can you not put it outside?

It's a bit difficult where I live at the moment. Actually, the two plants (both in the same spot) turn out to have been doing something even stranger than I thought: the stems of each plant grew very tall very quickly and turned into flower stems, each with just a single flower. One flowered a few days ago, the other yesterday. So I've sort of got an explanation as to why the stems were growing so quickly and why the leaves were getting shorter and shorter - so now I've got a couple of little carnivorous Xmas trees, each of which was momentarily crowned with a little yellow angel.

I'm completely new to Drosophyllym but I'm pretty sure the main stem isn't meant to do that, and now neither plant has a growing point. So I'm interested to see what they do next... hopefully something other than die.

Edited by Tim Caldwell, 18 January 2011 - 07:47 AM.