• Sarracenia Flava var Rubricorpora
  • Sarracenia Leucouphylla
  • Sarracenia x Jutha tip Soper
  • Sarracenia x purpurea hybrid barbapapa
  • Sarracenia x stevensii x hybrid
  • Darlingtonia callifornica
  • Utricularia livida
Inside:

• Nepenthess anguinea (Living on the kitchen windowsill)
  • Pinguicula agnata (Living on the kitchen windowsill)
  • Do I need to trim back the live foliage on the ones in the greenhouse or just when it’s gone brown/black?
  • Should I move anything somewhere else (e.g. Darlingtonia inside?)
  • I have a little paraffin greenhouse heater, should I use this only when frost is expected?
Many Thanks

Si

#2 diva

diva
  • Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 14:24 PM

all those plants (except paradoxa) are fine for an unheated greenhouse, if anything i'd move the darlingtonia outside (although many people grow them under cover). i tend to just do 2 big trims a year once around now and one over xmas as long as the plants aren't to wet and you have good air movement you shouldn't have any problems, i wouldn't bother with a parrafin heater more trouble than there worth and it just adds moisture to the envioroment that you'll then have to vent.

Edited by diva, 15 November 2010 - 14:25 PM.

#3 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 15 November 2010 - 14:26 PM

I don't think I'd risk leaving the D. paradoxa outside, it likes it really warm. Inside, sunny windowsill, that it would like.

ah, diva, you corrected your post. :smile:

Edited by Amar, 15 November 2010 - 14:27 PM.

#4 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,736 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 15 November 2010 - 14:28 PM

One thing I noticed is the mix of plants relative to their natural climatic requirements. You VFT's, D. calfornica, Sarracenias are temperates. D. binta is kind of betweem subtropical and temperate and does go dormant. The U. livida and D. paradoxa are tropical and not only won't have a cold/winter dormancy, they will likely die. Those need to be separated out and kept in warmer temps, with more equatorial conditions. D. capensis is sub-tropical and shouldn't be subjected to frosts, although they do survive the light ones.

#5 diva

diva
  • Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 17:07 PM

One thing I noticed is the mix of plants relative to their natural climatic requirements. You VFT's, D. calfornica, Sarracenias are temperates. D. binta is kind of betweem subtropical and temperate and does go dormant. The U. livida and D. paradoxa are tropical and not only won't have a cold/winter dormancy, they will likely die. Those need to be separated out and kept in warmer temps, with more equatorial conditions. D. capensis is sub-tropical and shouldn't be subjected to frosts, although they do survive the light ones.

dunno about sunny NY but where i live about an hours drive from the poster all the above plants except paradoxa survive my greenhouse at temps down to and below -6c, u livida (a widely distributed plant i believe) survives and flowers profusely and while the top growth of capensis may die off in severe weather they always return from the root for me, but obviously your 2000ish miles away so may find different results as your winters are a tad colder than ours.

#6 5hort5

5hort5
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:25 PM

Great, thanks for the info and tips, I'll move as needed.

Si

#7 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,736 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 16 November 2010 - 13:50 PM

dunno about sunny NY but where i live about an hours drive from the poster all the above plants except paradoxa survive my greenhouse at temps down to and below -6c, u livida (a widely distributed plant i believe) survives and flowers profusely and while the top growth of capensis may die off in severe weather they always return from the root for me, but obviously your 2000ish miles away so may find different results as your winters are a tad colder than ours.

LOL! We are definitly not maritime in snowy Buffalo, NY!