• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Drosera5150

Drosera5150
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 15:39 PM

Hello Friends,

At last, after repeated failures which I now relate to our extremely high Florida humidity, I've finally managed to create a successful hybrid cross between Byblis 'Goliath' and Byblis rorida. By removing the anthers from the flower and bringing them indoors where humidity was much lower (below 50% RH) it seemed to increase pollen viability. The anthers where then split with a sterile scalpel and applied with fine tweezers to the receptive stigmas. My germination rates were fair. Out of 12 seed produced within one capsule, 4 germinated and the resulting seedlings immediately showed hybrid vigor.

My first attempts were made in my greenhouse and thanks to our consistant 80-100% humidity, miserably failed!

I've noticed some very interesting anomalies emerging from my hybrid cross that will be further explained in the photos below. Please note that the Byblis 'Goliath' that I grow is the diploid form and not the tetraploid self-pollinatingvariant that has been recently documented. And now, time for some photos. Introducing, the first Byblis hybrid! Below are two distinct forms of the forementioned hybrid.

Some interesting things happen when you cross different Byblis species...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is one of the more normal looking variants. Traits from both parents are clearly visable in both hybrid variants.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Happy Growing,

Brian Barnes, 11/2/2010.

#2 Greg Allan

Greg Allan
  • Full Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 20:09 PM

Great work! The Byblis x 'Medusa' is astonishing! Do you think it will produce offspring with the same bizarre growth habit? Also were the B rorida plants that you used reared from the seeds that I sent to you? Also, as regards Byblis hybrids, I remember a photo of B gigantea x filifolia that was on the web a few years ago. It has since disappeared. I have no idea whether it was a genuine hybrid or not.

Greg

#3 Drosera5150

Drosera5150
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 20:39 PM

Hi Greg,

Thanks. Actually, the B. rorida seed came from a long-time CP grower that lives on the west coast of Florida and the seed was almost a year old. Sadly, none of the seed you sent ever germinated.

Time will tell what B X 'Medusa" does! :smile:

Happy Growing,

Brian

#4 Sockhom

Sockhom
  • Full Members
  • 1,654 posts
  • Interests:rock music, drawing, litterature, entomology

Posted 02 November 2010 - 22:35 PM

Congrats Brian!
That Byblis "x medusa" is amazing.
Keep up the good work!

All the best,

Fran├žois.

#5 Drosera5150

Drosera5150
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

Hey Socky,

Thanks!

Best wishes on your continuing work as well. I plan on creating a few more Byblis hybrids soon, as the weather here in Florida now (Fall) is the "Byblis growing season" in my conditions... :shock:

Also, for Heliamphora too... :sorcerer:

I know, I know....post some pictures then.... :biggrin: BTW, visited your web-blog via your above provided link. Good job, I like it!

Happy Growing,

Brian

Edited by Drosera5150, 03 November 2010 - 12:19 PM.

#6 Fernando Rivadavia

Fernando Rivadavia
  • Full Members
  • 1,796 posts
  • Interests:CPs in the wild, especially Drosera, Pinguicula, Genlisea, and Utrics

Posted 03 November 2010 - 22:46 PM

Cool, 1st Byblis hybrid, congrats!!!

F