- - - - -

aquarium-->terrarium

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 31 October 2010 - 13:58 PM

A friend of mine gave me his old aquarium, 100cm x 40cm x 40cm. Two fluorescent tubes 2 x 30 watts each. There are two fuses, but I busted one of them, took out the fuse and didn't put it back in carefully enough, and the plastic shattered. Oh well. I guess 2 x 30 watts is not enough anyway. Now, can one buy aquarium lids with the lights, as this one, with the lights fixed into it? And, for such a size, can anybody make a recommendation as to what sort of tubes I should use?
Thanks. :red33:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Amar, 31 October 2010 - 14:11 PM.

#2 Loakesy

Loakesy
  • Full Members
  • 3,438 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Family History, Photography, Forensic Science

Posted 31 October 2010 - 14:27 PM

Now all you need is some plants to put in it, Amar!

#3 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 31 October 2010 - 14:33 PM

First I need some good lights!

#4 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 31 October 2010 - 15:37 PM

Hey Amar..thats a nice tank and it would be perfect as a terrarium...I would recommend T5 lighting 2 (50-60 watts) (10,000Kelvins super white)..Thats just my suggestion....

#5 mattynatureboy44

mattynatureboy44
  • Full Members
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:CPS, Football, Animals, Wildlife, Sports, Pets

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:55 AM

Amar that is a really nice decent sized tank with stand you are very lucky you got given it, I reckon you can make that into a really nice terrarium and it will hold lots of plants keep us updated on it and post pics when you have finished it.

Sorry I Wouldn't know much about lighting something of this size, at a guess maybe something like Dex said some bright t8 or t5 tubes might do the job and if you have broken the old light unit new ones are available fairly cheap and you could just use the same lid you already got to fit the bulbs into.

#6 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the responses, watch this space. . .
:D

#7 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,277 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:54 AM

The general consensus on here is that cool white (840), daylight (865) or a combination of both is sufficient for CP growth. Personally, I see better growth and colouration using Gro-Lux but I would appear to be in the minority. T5 tubes are more efficient than T8 and T5HO more efficient again. I would suggest that size tank would benefit from at least four tubes of a length approximately the same length as the tank, leaving room for the fittings and wires etc. I highly recommend fluorescent tube reflectors, most people don't bother with these, as they see them as an additional expense, but they can significantly increase the amount of light hitting the plants which in my opinion makes them a worthy investment.

Edited by mobile, 03 November 2010 - 07:58 AM.

#8 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:11 AM

Thanks very much Carl, appreciate it!

#9 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

carl, what about the wattage?

#10 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:10 AM

guess that question was unnecessary...the more wattage, the better, yes?
But how about the light-colour, you mentioned 840 or 865. How about 940 or 965? Or even light-colour 77?
http://www.osram.com...UORA/index.html

hmm, then there still are these...
http://www.nlites.co...fluorescent.htm
I already use the CFL-purple ones for my open set-up...

oh, I can't decide.. :shock:

Edited by Amar, 03 November 2010 - 09:20 AM.

#11 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,277 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:25 AM

guess that question was unnecessary...the more wattage, the better, yes?
But how about the light-colour, you mentioned 840 or 865. How about 940 or 965? Or even light-colour 77?
http://www.osram.com...UORA/index.html

To a certain extent, you are unlikely to have too much wattage within the confines of a terrarium, using fluorescent lighting. 940 and 965 have a better colour rendering index (CRI) so your plants would look more 'natural' under them. I don't know is there would be increased benefit to the plants and I guess that this could only be determined by looking at the spectral distribution graph. If there is not much difference in price then I would be tempted to go for the 9xx series. I've never used colour 77 lamps but I believe these are also known as Osram Fluora, which is smilar to Gro-Lux. I've never seen them here in the UK.

#12 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:28 PM

To a certain extent, you are unlikely to have too much wattage within the confines of a terrarium, using fluorescent lighting. 940 and 965 have a better colour rendering index (CRI) so your plants would look more 'natural' under them. I don't know is there would be increased benefit to the plants and I guess that this could only be determined by looking at the spectral distribution graph. If there is not much difference in price then I would be tempted to go for the 9xx series. I've never used colour 77 lamps but I believe these are also known as Osram Fluora, which is smilar to Gro-Lux. I've never seen them here in the UK.

pretty good chart, in german, but you get the point. gro-lux indeed seem to be the same as osram 77:
http://www.hereinspa...t.de/colors.htm

#13 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 14:44 PM

Mhh..this is more difficult than I had expected. The lid I have for the terrarium I think I will have to discard, there are two 30W tubes in it, but as I said, only one will work.
Now, for those of you that have a terrarium, may I ask how you've fixed your lights/tubes to it?

#14 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,761 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 06 November 2010 - 18:43 PM

I found the easiest way if you not fussy about looks is to buy a piece of plexglass cut to fit and simply rest the lights on top of it. Works for fluorescents, envirolites, LEDs etc.

The most useful fluorescents I've found for growing plants are the arcadia original tropicals (gro-lux are similar), the light looks slightly purplish as the peaks are in the red and blue spectra exactly were you need them for plant growth.

Edited by manders, 06 November 2010 - 18:48 PM.

#15 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 20:26 PM

cheers, looking into it at once.

#16 numpty

numpty
  • Full Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:52 AM

Now, for those of you that have a terrarium, may I ask how you've fixed your lights/tubes to it?

Not a terrarium, just a big box lined with tin foil, but I have some clips that attach to the aquarium lights I use. These can slide up or down the length of the light frame and attach to the ends of the tank (box, in my case) and so can fit on different tanks, as long as the tank is no longer than the lamps. I like this setup as I don't have a sheet of glass or perspex cutting down the light (luckily I don't have to bother with temperature or humidity control within).

Not sure if these would fit on a wide variety of light frames, but you might be able to jimmy something up.

Edited by numpty, 08 November 2010 - 01:55 AM.

#17 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 14:32 PM

Looks like I'm lucky. A fellow from the German forum will sell his lighting set-up to me, for just 90€. Here's the link, he's posted some pictures as well. http://forum.carnivo...872#entry127872
There are four tubes, 2 x 840 and 2 x 865, all 39 watts, T5 tubes, 3100 lumen per tube.

Edited by Amar, 07 November 2010 - 14:34 PM.

#18 mantrid

mantrid
  • Full Members
  • 1,218 posts
  • Interests:Sculpting in Bronze. Please visit realbronzes.com and see some of my work

Posted 07 November 2010 - 15:09 PM

Give it a clean and get all that algae off the front

#19 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 14:14 PM

done!

Have been doing some reading, about colour tempertures etc, I found this, a good explanation as to what Kelvin really is:

http://www.nlites.co...photoponics.htm

Kelvin Scale - Not for measuring critical light for Plants
People talking about black body's and radiators ? What are they talking about? Usually they don't really know, and even more worrying , they never explain it properly.
Based upon the definitions of the Centigrade scale and the experimental evidence that absolute zero is -273.15°C, thus 373.15K is the same as 100°C. The Colour Temperature represents the colour that Carbon is when heated to that temperature. So when carbon is heated to 2000K it looks "red" hot. Carbon does not look green at any temperature, if it did, it's what we would call "white Hot". So remembering that Kelvin is used to measure an 'overall' colour, it's ok as a guide only, to differentiate between PURple and Green, Kelvin is useless.

#20 benenthes

benenthes
  • Members
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:╬Nepenthes╬, orcids and cps in general

Posted 14 November 2010 - 16:48 PM

hello Amar,

concerning your question about the watts,
when buying flourescent tubes, t8 or t5, the watts are proportional to the lenth of the tube, so the problem settles itself.
As a matter of fact, I have a terrarium almost exactly the same size as yours, and I am happily using t5 tubes. I have been using t8, but t5 is definitely better.
best is, however, a growlux, envirolite, or sodium-vapor lamp (natriumdampflampe)
well, good luck with your terrarium, I wish you good luck :tu: :thanks: