28 replies to this topic

#21 mattynatureboy44

mattynatureboy44
  • Full Members
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:CPS, Football, Animals, Wildlife, Sports, Pets

Posted 18 October 2010 - 16:08 PM

Hi Steve,

This might not be of any help to you but I had a problem with something digging and tearing up my first bog on a weekly basis so I added a few small border fences that look ok I suppose considering that I got from the pound shop!

I also put up a huge plastic heron towering over the bog and since doing these two things that bog has not been disturbed in any way and I did this back in may.

But I also recently made a new bog which only has seeds in at present and is yet to be planted but after the problems I had with the first one being dug up all the time I added a removable raised home made wooden border which also provides a bit of protection from the cold and wind with a removable thin net which rests on top of the border as the net is thin and black you can hardly see unless you look closely.
The border is easlily lifted off the bog with the net attached and put to one side and the idea being is hopefully when I want to view or work on the bog I remove the border and then place it back when im done.

This might not be any good to you as you want to keep a natural look but there are probably a few alterations you could make to make it more natural or to your taste so hope it gives you a few ideas.

I have added some photos

Posted Image
DSC00423 by mattybadboy44, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSC00422 by mattybadboy44, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSC00421 by mattybadboy44, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSC00420 by mattybadboy44, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSC00419 by mattybadboy44, on Flickr

#22 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 18 October 2010 - 16:19 PM

Very cool Matty!...lol I actually made A cardboard Hawk that I hung using fishingline, and when the wind picks up, it would sway, as if it was swooping down to grab something....LOL..it only worked until it got wet from the rain...

#23 billynomates666

billynomates666
  • Full Members
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:motor bikes, CPs, being happy

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

It is a fox!

I spied the little blighter last night in the garden, when I went to shoo him off he rather obligingly showed me his entrance and exit route. This has now been closed and hopefully that will be an end to it.

Just need to wait six months to see what has survived and whats died.

Thanks all
Steve

#24 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Zoology, Entomology, CPs, Painting, Cycling, Photography

Posted 19 October 2010 - 15:40 PM

Goos going. That fellow hopefully won't bother the plants anymore. However, I would actually have expected it to be badgers, foxes don't dig too much...

#25 billynomates666

billynomates666
  • Full Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:16 PM

Goos going. That fellow hopefully won't bother the plants anymore. However, I would actually have expected it to be badgers, foxes don't dig too much...

Uhhhh Ohhh will keep a vigil for a couple of nights just in case.
Thanks James
Steve

#26 danthecpman

danthecpman
  • Sponsor
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, Forestry/tree biology, fitness, performance cars and carnivorous plants

Posted 23 October 2010 - 16:01 PM

Uhhhh Ohhh will keep a vigil for a couple of nights just in case.
Thanks James
Steve

Hi Steve
I have been watching this thread for a while an would just like to say that you might be filling that hole in a few times if youre foxes are as determined as mine were :) but i purchased one of those subsonic dog and cat repellents that emit a sound that discomforts cats, dogs and FOXES! :negative: heres a link if you are interested:

Fox repellent

Hope this helps like it did for me

Dan

Edited by danthecpman, 23 October 2010 - 16:04 PM.

#27 billynomates666

billynomates666
  • Full Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 16:15 PM

Hi Dan

You are right, they did come back again but fortunatly the hole was smaller and in the same place so there was a lot less damage and, the plants dug up were the same ones that were uprooted before.

It hasnt been back now for four nights, but you are right I should invest in one to give me peace of mind.

Thanks for the info
Steve

#28 danthecpman

danthecpman
  • Sponsor
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, Forestry/tree biology, fitness, performance cars and carnivorous plants

Posted 24 October 2010 - 15:53 PM

Hi Dan

You are right, they did come back again but fortunatly the hole was smaller and in the same place so there was a lot less damage and, the plants dug up were the same ones that were uprooted before.

It hasnt been back now for four nights, but you are right I should invest in one to give me peace of mind.

Thanks for the info
Steve

Hi Steve

You wont regret buying one trust me =) then you wont have to get up every night to check on them

Regards
Dan

#29 Argentii

Argentii
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 22:46 PM

That is so tragic! It reminds me of when the blue jays (or chickens) decimated my Dionea.

I know that in the UK gun laws are a bit more stringent than in the U.S. so I suggest, if the fox returns again :

Bow and Arrows + caffeine