- - - - -

"Ordering From Wistuba"

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:36 AM

Has anyone ordered from Wistuba.com? Particularly Heliamphora? How long does it take from time heli is ordered to receiving? Anyone?

DexFC

#2 flycatchers

flycatchers
  • Full Members
  • 1,048 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plants, cult tv/films, theatre, cats, music, photography, film- making including aerial photography, modern art & installations.

Posted 02 September 2010 - 14:04 PM

Hi
Over here in the UK it takes on average between a month and two months for plants that are for immediate delivery! So for the US would guess double that.
For Heli be prepared for very soft grown plants and some losses. My last order received last week has already seen some casualties- with none out of the woods yet! A pity as once the plants do eventually settle in most do very well. Good luck!

cheers

bill

#3 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 02 September 2010 - 14:42 PM

Wow so almost half a year away before I get my one Heli plant...and theres a chance of it dying.....Good luck to me and my not too soo heli plant...Thanks for the info though....

DexFC

#4 flycatchers

flycatchers
  • Full Members
  • 1,048 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plants, cult tv/films, theatre, cats, music, photography, film- making including aerial photography, modern art & installations.

Posted 02 September 2010 - 14:48 PM

Which one did you order?

bill

#5 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 15:07 PM

I ordered a Heliamphora Heterodoxa x Ionasii hybrid last week....

DexFC

#6 FlytrapCare

FlytrapCare
  • Sponsor
  • 498 posts
  • Interests:Venus flytraps, tissue culture, swimming, cycling

Posted 02 September 2010 - 15:37 PM

I have placed a couple of orders with Andreas for Heliamphora and it can take up to 3 months to get the plants.

#7 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 16:18 PM

See I had no idea...I guess I will get mine in winter or spring...

DexFC

#8 Hayden

Hayden
  • Full Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 16:36 PM

Ive read on his page that he uses the special boxes to keep temp down in the summer? Its bad how nobody tells you when your going to get everything.

#9 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 18:02 PM

I know what youre saying.....I emailed wistuba but no reply so I thought Id ask you guys.....Thanks for all input....

DexFC

#10 thez_yo

thez_yo
  • Full Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 18:08 PM

He does a couple big shipments to the states in the Spring/Summer/Fall. I think he's sent out two shipments in the late spring/early summer this year and another shipment is still on the way, judging by the plants I've ordered and when I received them this year. I think he sends Heliamphora out at different times than Nepenthes, but it may just have been the timing of my orders or something. Also if I were you, I would order Helis later in the year rather than earlier to get in on the fall shipment so you don't have to worry about losing plants from heat stress incurred during shipping.

I'm glad this last order is coming out later just to ensure I don't have any casualities (D.O.A.) like I did in my summer shipment..

#11 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 00:34 AM

Cool man...thez_yo thanks for the input....

DexFC

#12 Penke

Penke
  • Full Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:24 AM

I ordered a Heliamphora Heterodoxa x Ionasii hybrid last week....

DexFC

I ordered one of this from wistuba more than a year ago, it never produces adult pitchers, and grows very, very slowly. Is in my tank with other Helis which they are doing it great. He took months to send me the plant (in his web the item was totally available).

I made the mistake a few months ago again, I ordered a nepenthes merriliana, it was a very, very small plant which dies at the same moment I opened the bag. I think it was recently out of tissue culture without any kind of adjust.

Those are my facts, maybe other people had more lucky.

bye

#13 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 13:34 PM

I ordered one of this from wistuba more than a year ago, it never produces adult pitchers, and grows very, very slowly. Is in my tank with other Helis which they are doing it great. He took months to send me the plant (in his web the item was totally available).

I made the mistake a few months ago again, I ordered a nepenthes merriliana, it was a very, very small plant which dies at the same moment I opened the bag. I think it was recently out of tissue culture without any kind of adjust.

Those are my facts, maybe other people had more lucky.

bye

I had a similar bad experience with CPjungle(US Company) they sent me my Nepe Rajah and it was so hot that day that when I ooened the box, it was dying. The worst part is I emailed them and no response. Thanks for the input..

DEXFC

#14 loligo1964

loligo1964
  • Full Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 17:49 PM

Has anyone ordered from Wistuba.com? Particularly Heliamphora? How long does it take from time heli is ordered to receiving? Anyone?

DexFC

I have dealt with Wistuba for years; and the bulk of my currently-flowering Heliamphora came from him. I have yet to experience a single loss in all of that time -- though, the plants are often on the smaller side -- recently de-flasked -- and require some minor delicacy in handling upon their arrival.

Wistuba usually accumulates a good number of orders before making a shipment to the US; considering the expense and bulk of agricultural paperwork involved, this should come as little surprise. Since he has an importer in the US, the buyer requires no USDA paperwork whatsoever -- and the shipping is rather inexpensive, especially considering the practices of some US nurseries (one out of Maryland immediately comes to mind).

I would suggest e-mailing him with estimated shipping dates and plan on ordering according to that . . .

#15 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 18:36 PM

I did email him but he hasnt replied...but Im looking forward to getting my Heli, Im actually glad its not summertime that Ill get the plant, due to summer heat.

DexFC

#16 thez_yo

thez_yo
  • Full Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 20:41 PM

While it's his responsibility to get you the plants that you paid for, it's your responsibility to order in a time frame where your plants won't roast in the mail. Usually you have to wait about a week for most sellers to ship, for Andreas it appears to be closer to a month, so you should order around a month ago or now-ish to get your shipment of Helis sent when it is cool enough for them to not die of heat stress (so he doesn't have to re-ship and someone else doesn't get their plant now instead..I made that mistake this year and have now learned my lesson).

#17 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 21:29 PM

Sorry for your loss....I placed my Heliamphora order about two weeks ago...So I think thats pretty good timing right?

DexFC

#18 RL7836

RL7836
  • Full Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 00:26 AM

My experiences are more similar to Loligo than the others. I've received several orders of Neps & Heli's and although somewhat small, all have grown well once potted. As Loligo mentions, the fact that Andreas has a USA person with all necessary permits allows us to receive the vast numbers of plants available in Europe and his batching of orders saves tremendously on shipping & paperwork costs - and the savings are passed on to us. I would love to see some of the other excellent EU retailers adopt these practices ... :woot:

As others have mentioned, shipping any living thing in the heat of summer is a crapshoot. Heck, some of the plants that died for people could have gotten overheated in their mailbox or their postman's vehicle!

#19 Andreas Wistuba

Andreas Wistuba
  • Sponsor
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 19:29 PM

Hi
Over here in the UK it takes on average between a month and two months for plants that are for immediate delivery! So for the US would guess double that.
For Heli be prepared for very soft grown plants and some losses. My last order received last week has already seen some casualties- with none out of the woods yet! A pity as once the plants do eventually settle in most do very well. Good luck!

cheers

bill

Dear Bill,

while I admit that some years ago most of my Heliamphoras came from artificial light culture and might have been soft if placed to the greenhouse without adaptation this is not true anymore.
Nowadays I grow ALL Heliamphora in a cooled greenhouse (with adiabatic cooling) and LOTS of light (Once I am back from a short vacation I might post a few images of a Heliamphora growing
area, that will show what I'm talking about).

While I have no idea what happened to your plants during shipping, losses certainly do not come from soft plants. In summer heat damages during shipment never can be avoided 100%
However, I cover that risk completely with all shipments going to Europe, USA and Japan.

To make a long story short:
I stand behind my plants 100%. If a customer is not happy with a plant I'll refund or replace. This is my policy since I started the business in 1995 and I never changed that.
However it's not easy to deal with issues if you learn about them in forums and you're not even able to tell for certain which order the issues relate to.
Just let me know about an issue by e-mail and I'll work it out.

All the best,
Andreas

#20 Andreas Wistuba

Andreas Wistuba
  • Sponsor
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 19:32 PM

While it's his responsibility to get you the plants that you paid for, it's your responsibility to order in a time frame where your plants won't roast in the mail. Usually you have to wait about a week for most sellers to ship, for Andreas it appears to be closer to a month, so you should order around a month ago or now-ish to get your shipment of Helis sent when it is cool enough for them to not die of heat stress (so he doesn't have to re-ship and someone else doesn't get their plant now instead..I made that mistake this year and have now learned my lesson).

I guarantee for healthy arrival with shipments going to the USA, Europe and Japan.
While I recommend to chose isolated shipping (I offer this as an upgrade) to give less stress to the plants, I still cover all shipping risks, even if a plant is boiled during standard shipping.

All the best
Andreas