- - - - -

"Drosophyllum Germination"

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:03 AM

Has anyone had good germination with drosophyllum seeds with just soaking in water for 24 hours(no scarification or giberellic acid dipping)? Anyone?

DexFC

#2 yves

yves
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:20 AM

Hi

The best way to improve germination is soaking seeds in a 2% sulfuric acid ( H2SO4) solution
for 24 h. then rince well with water and sow.
The best period to sow drosophyllum seed is early spring ( february)
Hope it can help.

Yves

#3 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:29 AM

thanks Yves for advice....How does these seeds germinate in the wild? Im sure there is no acid dipping going on in the wild right?I wonder how it happens naturally?

DexFC

#4 zeeland

zeeland
  • Full Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:40 AM

thanks Yves for advice....How does these seeds germinate in the wild? Im sure there is no acid dipping going on in the wild right?I wonder how it happens naturally?

DexFC

I think that the conditions are better and that they are scarved through the sand so that the whater can go in when thare is rain.

#5 UtricSeb

UtricSeb
  • Full Members
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:CPs,Killifish,Aquascaping,Orchids,Poison Frogs

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:01 PM

A friend got really good germination lately. He first soaked the seed in water for 4 days, then scarified the seed and soaked again for another 3 days.
It's in spanish but you can see his post here: http://www.carnivora.../...?f=17&t=520

#6 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 14:51 PM

Nice article and photos.....Thanks Utricseb....Theres hope for my seeds...

DexFC.

#7 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,736 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 02 September 2010 - 16:56 PM

I also snip the pointed end, as my scarification, before soaking them.

#8 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 18:00 PM

Ahhh I see...Ill try these tips........Thanks Everyone:.......

DexFC

#9 crumble

crumble
  • Members
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:C.P's, cacti and succulents,

Posted 02 September 2010 - 20:01 PM

I don't do anything special, sometimes I soak, sometimes I don't. I recently sowed seeds that were 2 years old which had been in my fridge for the 2 years, and they are germinating well about 6 weeks after I sowed them. Those I did soak for about 48 hours in water, no other treatment. I have about 40 or so plants, and always sow to replace those that inevitably die each year.

I used to scratch the seeds and things like that but never found any improvement in germination. It takes about 6 weeks for germination in an ordinary greenhouse at this time of year.

#10 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:57 AM

See Crumble, thats what Im talking about...no special treatment, with relatively good outcome...Cause the way I look at it is there is no one in the wild to scratch and soak in acid and what not....In my opinion, your technique is more natural...and Your technique is my technique.....Thanks

DexFC

#11 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:54 AM

Has anyone tried soaking Dewey pine seeds in 10% chlorine bleach and 90% water? I heard of this for Byblis seed germination, but I was wondering if it would work for Drosophylum seeds? I'm actually trying this today with 3 seeds.........

DexFC

#12 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,736 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:21 PM

I would go with a weak acid solution.

#13 gravanzia

gravanzia
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:35 PM

Hello,

I just soaked them in nice clean ro water for 36 hours. 4 of the 6 seeds germinated in around a month.
Have read you could also scratch the seed cote with sand paper to reveal the white endosperm.
Are the seeds fresh?

good growing

#14 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 14:08 PM

Hello,

I just soaked them in nice clean ro water for 36 hours. 4 of the 6 seeds germinated in around a month.
Have read you could also scratch the seed cote with sand paper to reveal the white endosperm.
Are the seeds fresh?

good growing

The seeds are a year old...I tried scratching or scarifying, but its a pain in the neck process(seeds so tiny, I can't get a proper hold)....Thanks for replying....

DexFC

#15 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 14:12 PM

I would go with a weak acid solution.

What kind of acid? Cause I have no clue where to get the famous "Giberrelic Acid"..Brainstorm;Would vinegar work? After all its an acid right?

DexFC

#16 yves

yves
  • Full Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 16:40 PM

Hi

The best is sulfuric acid ( H2SO4 ) 2%

The best period to sow D. lusitanicum seeds is february.

Yves

#17 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 16:44 PM

Hi

The best is sulfuric acid ( H2SO4 ) 2%

The best period to sow D. lusitanicum seeds is february.

Yves

Cool thanks....Ill try that.....

DexFC

#18 gardenofeden

gardenofeden
  • Full Members
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 16:44 PM

why mess around with dangerous acids if you do not need to?
If you want to scarify, just rub lightly between 2 pieces of sandpaper

#19 alambrito

alambrito
  • Sponsor
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 17:47 PM

If I can help you, I will say that is very useful to dip the seeds in water for several days. I have used many variations, but the important thing is that the seed is opened and water can get inside. Gibberellic acid solution works pretty well, because the water will open pores and acid does the rest.