7 replies to this topic

#1 mattynatureboy44

mattynatureboy44
  • Full Members
  • 699 posts
  • Interests:CPS, Football, Animals, Wildlife, Sports, Pets

Posted 01 September 2010 - 20:09 PM

Hi,

I was thinking about getting one of these plants but know not much about them, Im after a good beginner plant and a good place or two to purchase from.

I have not seen these readily for sale on UK websites apart from hantsflytraps which are out of stock of of a few and Heliamphora minor which was the one I was looking at getting.

So if anyone can give me some advice on what one to get for a beginner and where to get it from and maybe some basic care instructions this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt.

#2 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,341 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 01 September 2010 - 20:14 PM

Hi,

I was thinking about getting one of these plants but know not much about them, Im after a good beginner plant and a good place or two to purchase from.

I have not seen these readily for sale on UK websites apart from hantsflytraps which are out of stock of of a few and Heliamphora minor which was the one I was looking at getting.

So if anyone can give me some advice on what one to get for a beginner and where to get it from and maybe some basic care instructions this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt.

H. heterodoxa X ionasii or H. heterodoxa X minor are reasonably easy going.... for Heliamphora. I grow both of these on my kitchen windowsill.

Edited by mobile, 01 September 2010 - 20:49 PM.

#3 linuxman

linuxman
  • Full Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 20:44 PM

Hi,

I was in your position a while ago (see thread http://www.cpukforum...howtopic=38137). I bought 2 helis from Extreme-plants, a H. nutans and a H. heterodoxa x minor which are both supposed to be easy. Anyway they're still doing fine, maybe enjoying the cool nights we have ATM. I can recommend Gert at Extreme, he's very helpful and the service is first class.

Best of luck,

#4 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 20:52 PM

Heliamphora sometimes become available in the forum Sales & Wants, or if there is a particular one you want then it might be worth adding a wanted post.

#5 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 20:57 PM

... they're still doing fine, maybe enjoying the cool nights we have ATM.

I think the cooler, damper weather that we get in the NE Scotland is beneficial to Heliamphora and possibly the reason why mine grow quite well on a windowsill.

#6 mattynatureboy44

mattynatureboy44
  • Full Members
  • 699 posts
  • Interests:CPS, Football, Animals, Wildlife, Sports, Pets

Posted 02 September 2010 - 22:06 PM

Thanks for the replys and advice.

If I had to get one plant only out of Heliamphora nutans x heterodoxa and Heliamphora Minor x heterodoxa which would be the best plant ie in terms of looks and growth and hardyness for a Windowsil or conservatory.

Thanks

#7 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for the replys and advice.

If I had to get one plant only out of Heliamphora nutans x heterodoxa and Heliamphora Minor x heterodoxa which would be the best plant ie in terms of looks and growth and hardyness for a Windowsil or conservatory.

Thanks

It's going to be down to personal taste really... whichever one you prefer the look of. Personally I like H. minor and its hybrids, but that's because I have a preference to small plants. Please also bear in mind that dependant on source you might need to acclimatise the plant to the conditions you intend keeping them in. Some species cannot necessarily be acclimatised to lower humidity, elevated temperature or absence of sufficient night temperature drops for instance. Heliamphora are frequently best kept in terrariums and the majority of the best looking Heliamphora you see on forums and on the web at kept this way. There are a few species which, once acclimatised, can be kept outside of a terrarium but arguably they will not grow so well.

The picture below is a H. minor which I grew in a tall cylindical vase, with a clear vented lid to keep the humidity up. As you can see it grew very well in this 'basic terrarium'.

Posted Image

#8 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 03 September 2010 - 14:18 PM

Just got my first Heli two days ago...A Heli Minor with 9 pitchers and 3 of those are mature ones. Had no idea how tiny a minor is. My Sarracenias can swallow this delicate plant with no problem .Got it from a forum member for a very good price...Hopefully I keep it alive in windowsill in a makeshift terrarium(baggie) to keep high humidity. Eventually I will get one of those glass cylinder vase....

DexFC