Hi everyone

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 BrianF

BrianF
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 15:41 PM

Hi folks, I've just been given a vft as a gift and want to make sure I give it t he best home I can. It's a fairly small plant in a 4 inch pot right now. It looks healthy enough to me right now but should I be thinking about a bigger pot in the near future? Also in terms of general care should I have it standing in a little water(enough to keep the soil moist) or create some sort of pebble stand, I realise it should not have soggy soil. Sunlight is no problem for me as the room is light & airy enough.
I am based in East London and was wondering if anyone has a good contact in the area I can get any soil or other accesories from?

Thanks in advance to anyone who advises me :)

#2 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Zoology, Entomology, CPs, Painting, Cycling, Photography

Posted 10 August 2010 - 18:57 PM

4 inch pot is alright for it. You are right in not keeping the medium soggy, but let the water it stands in dry out for a few days before watering again. Rainwater or RO water only, as much sun as possible, put outside for a winter dormancy, and you're alright.

#3 BrianF

BrianF
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 21:37 PM

4 inch pot is alright for it. You are right in not keeping the medium soggy, but let the water it stands in dry out for a few days before watering again. Rainwater or RO water only, as much sun as possible, put outside for a winter dormancy, and you're alright.

How do I know when it's the correct time for winter dormancy, and when the plant is at this stage does it go to just a bulb?

Sorry in advance for the dumb questions

#4 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Zoology, Entomology, CPs, Painting, Cycling, Photography

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

Winter dormancy = winter! :girl_witch:
It will stop growth, die back, but there may be some leaves left. When that happens in autumn, you can put it outside. In fact, there is nothing to stop putting it outside all year, but you can have it inside as well in summer.

#5 Loakesy

Loakesy
  • Full Members
  • 3,451 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants, Family History, Photography, Forensic Science

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

Hi, Brian. Welcome aboard!

A VFT is pretty much where most of us started. :girl_witch:

#6 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,737 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 11 August 2010 - 13:00 PM

Welcome to CPUK!

#7 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 13:01 PM

I forgot to say Welcome, didn't I? How rude.

Well, here it is: WELCOME :suicide_fool-edit:

#8 djh

djh
  • Full Members
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plants. football. Golf and landrovers

Posted 11 August 2010 - 19:35 PM

hi brian welcome to the forum.
yes thats how i started with one VFT from the local garden centre.
:suicide_fool-edit:

#9 BrianF

BrianF
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 21:39 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :) I must say that the wealth of information is astounding in regards to keeping this beautiful plant alive! I hope I do it justice :)

#10 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 22:24 PM

It is easy when you know how :wink:

#11 dchasselblad74

dchasselblad74
  • Full Members
  • 1,300 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Photography, Mountain Biking, Kendo, Rifle Shooting, Maori Bone Carving, Biology, Ecology, Aquariums, Orchids, Sarracenias, Nepenthes, Heliamphoras, Albany Pitchers, Sundews, Pings, Utrics.....

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:09 AM

Hello and wecome home......see, you already have some cool vft advice from all these cool and knowlegeable Cp guys....my advice is when you decide to repot(next year maybe) use 1 pt sphagnum peat/1 pt perlite/1 part sand(either washed playsand or horticultural sand) then mix altogether, line the bottom of the pot with long fiber sphagnum then fill to the brim with the mix,water the mix, then poke a hole in the middle and slip the vft, roots first into the hole then fill in the hole with the mix......then water......voila...youve repotted...easy...remember the only dumb thing is not to ask questions....good luck

"Lifes a garden......dig it"

#12 BrianF

BrianF
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 20:18 PM

My mistake, my pot is 3-1/4 inch in size so it appears a little small to me. It has so many traps that some are blocked by others! Should I re-pot

Posted Image

Edited by BrianF, 17 August 2010 - 20:45 PM.

#13 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 20:19 PM

That does sound a little small. But see what others say.

#14 BrianF

BrianF
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 21:34 PM

Ok my plant is looking healthy and appears to be growing fast! I just noticed that a couple of roots are starting to show underneath the pot, would ythis be a sign to repot?
Also, if I do need a repot. Can anyone recommend a supplier for the soil in London.

Many thanks :)

Edited by BrianF, 19 September 2010 - 21:35 PM.

#15 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 21:42 PM

Congratulations :JC_cupidboy: you have done what many others have failed at; keeping a VFT alive for more than a month. It sounds like it is doing well too.
As regards to repotting, don't touch it now. Wait for after its dormant period, and repot if you want in about March time. To make it dormant, keep it outside, or in a well lit shed; somewhere cool in any case.

#16 rob158

rob158
  • Full Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 21:52 PM

welcome to the forum.

#17 BrianF

BrianF
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 22:39 PM

Congratulations :JC_cupidboy: you have done what many others have failed at; keeping a VFT alive for more than a month. It sounds like it is doing well too.
As regards to repotting, don't touch it now. Wait for after its dormant period, and repot if you want in about March time. To make it dormant, keep it outside, or in a well lit shed; somewhere cool in any case.

Ok thanks James, dormancy is around December if I'm correct?

#18 LJ

LJ
  • Members
  • 2,269 posts
  • Interests:CP's ofcourse!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 13:43 PM

As a general rule think haloween to valentines day for dormancy. Falling light levels and shorter day lengths as well as lowering temps should trigger growth to slow down and stop (dormancy).....ideal temps for dormancy are under 10 C, most of us keep them outside. However it would be better for the plant to acclimatise gently - putting your plant outside in november or december may be a bit of a shock to the system if its been sat on a warm windowsill indoors so put it in its dormancy place soon if you can, somewhere with protection from the wind and rain if you can. Aim to keep it only just damp over dormancy but at the same time be sure not to let it dry out too much.

The plant looks good, I'd also leave repotting until springtime now....that should give you plenty of time to find some suitable peat. Independent garden centres are best but usually sell in 100 or 200 litres bales, if you only require a small amount then online shops like Little Shop of Horrors sell good pre-mixed composts.

Good luck! I also started with one vft.....I have hundreds now!!

Heather

#19 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 16:18 PM

Good luck! I also started with one vft.....I have hundreds now!!

An' she ain't jokin', either :Laie_98:

#20 BrianF

BrianF
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 17:10 PM

I'm not planning on expanding the collection just yet, but you never know. Short of getting more as a gift, or if my young nephew struggles with his one then I will take it from him to try and save it. Gotta admit I love the idea of a hanging pitcher plant though :)