Puya chilensis - sheep carnivore?

An interesting story, new to me anyway - apparently Chilean sheep farmers have to pull their sheep from the clutches of the large bromeliad Puya chilensis, or they die. Speculation is that in the wild the plant may derive an advantage from the decaying carcasses of animals it snares.

Wikipedia - Puya chilensis

I know this is not strictly carnivory - but with only a slight embellishment it makes a sensational answer to what is the the largest carnivorous plant

Edited by osmosis

An interesting story, new to me anyway - apparently Chilean sheep farmers have to pull their sheep from the clutches of the large bromeliad Puya chilensis, or they die. Speculation is that in the wild the plant may derive an advantage form the decaying carcasses of animals it snares.

Wikipedia - Puya chilensis

I wonder what the result would be if the tabloids heard about this and decided to give it one of their, ahem, scientific writeups ... having seen what they did with the "rat-eating" N. attenboroughii! :shock:

lol....carnivory doesn't seem such a minority anymore. It seems almost one plant or another is trying to take advantage of the vast reservoir of animal nutrients.

lol....carnivory doesn't seem such a minority anymore. It seems almost one plant or another is trying to take advantage of the vast reservoir of animal nutrients.

And the world's largest growers of CPs are probably potato farmers!

And the world's largest growers of CPs are probably potato farmers!

And they are probably using them around the potato farms to control pest populations. :sarcastic_hand::tu: