Coffeed Nepenthes update

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 dvg

dvg
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 22:30 PM

Here is an update on some of my coffee fed Nepenthes. These plants were purchased from CZ Plants in May of 2008. They were all potted up into five inch diameter plastic pots, and were initially grown together in a 16" x 8.25" terrarium. Once the N. rajah outgrew the terrarium it was moved into a terra of its own.

Just to show a progression of these plant's growth since February 2009 up until today, here are some previous shots.

From February 5, 2009. From left to right, N. macrophylla, N. villosa, N. rajah.
Posted Image

May 2, 2009
Posted Image

August 3, 2009 The rajah was moved out and replaced with a smaller villosa in this pic.
Posted Image

Today I decided to squeeze the rajah back into the terra with the original villosa and macrophylla, just to show how the plants have grown since the last update. All of these plants have been given two or three coffee feedings since I first began the coffee treatments in Feb, 2009.

Today, April 16, 2010 From left to right, N. villosa, N. rajah, N. macrophylla.
Posted Image

And because the rajah covered up some of the villosa and macrophylla in the terra shot, here are the plants spread out together on our sidewalk. Left to right, N. macrophylla, N. rajah, N. villosa.
Posted Image

Although a commercial fertilizing program might very well have sped up the growth of these plants, i am happy with their overall health, and general appearance. Coffee does seem to be quite safe for use as a starter fertilizer. And it looks like I'll be repotting these plants in the next couple months or so.

dvg

#2 Tha_Reaper

Tha_Reaper
  • Full Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 22:49 PM

that rajah showed some spectaculair growth on coffee...
Is it actually known which ingredients in coffee make it such a good fertilizer? is it just the N source, or maybe the caffeine too?

but you just gave them 2 or 3 coffee feeding over the course of a year? shoudnt that been done more frequently? (i give my neps around 1 cup of coffee each month)

#3 cosmo

cosmo
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Science, molecular biology research, carnivorous plants, Hoyas, reptiles....

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:57 AM

Woow!! impresive results!! I have read a lot about this cofee treatments and I have already tried it out in two of my Nepenthes, deffinately I will do the same for the others after seeing this! specially in my N. rajah.. awesome! congrats

Regards,
Abiram

#4 dvg

dvg
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 18:46 PM

Thanks guys,

Reaper, I was looking online for some of the ingredients in coffee grounds, and i read somewhere that they contain about 2% Nitrogen. Coffee also leaches a lot of nutrients out of the soil it's grown in, so I would expect there to be a few trace minerals in the beans as well. I water my plants about once every six months with coffee, as I wasn't sure how safe it would be when I first started out with it. Now that I've had a bit of success with the coffee, I am going to move on to experimenting with low urea commercial fertilizers.

dvg

#5 cosmo

cosmo
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Science, molecular biology research, carnivorous plants, Hoyas, reptiles....

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:31 AM

Talking about fertilization, I am thiniking on trying with an hydroponic solution, has anyone made this before??
I'll let you know how the things are going with this tinny experiment..

Abiram

#6 Jonathan F.

Jonathan F.
  • Full Members
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants

Posted 20 April 2010 - 21:34 PM

Can you store brewed coffee for your nepenthes?

#7 Dianne Salter

Dianne Salter
  • Full Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:My partner!!!
    His plants.......and my growing collection...lol.
    The great outdoors!!!

Posted 20 April 2010 - 21:42 PM

Wow fab results!!!

Di

#8 dvg

dvg
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:59 AM

Cosmo, let us know how that works out for you.

FTH, I do store coffee between waterings. If you store it at room temperature it should be good for a few days. If stored longer than that it will slowly start to grow mold. It can still be used though. Just skim off the mold if it is present and reheat the coffee on the stove top, to rid the coffee of any mold lurking about in it. Another option is to refridgerate or even freeze the coffee for later use. I suppose one could even make coffee ice cubes for slow watering the highlanders.

Di, thanks.

dvg

#9 Syracuse

Syracuse
  • Full Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 16:30 PM

Thanks to share your experience Dvg. I tried the coffee after your last discussion; I hope to have the same result! ;-)

Louis

Edited by Papilio, 23 April 2010 - 16:33 PM.

#10 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,312 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 23 April 2010 - 16:39 PM

Talking about fertilization, I am thiniking on trying with an hydroponic solution, has anyone made this before??

I use hydroponic fertiliser on Nepenthes and Cephalotus and have not observed any ill effects.

#11 cosmo

cosmo
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 19:38 PM

I use hydroponic fertiliser on Nepenthes and Cephalotus and have not observed any ill effects.

Oh! great to know! I am wondering if you use it at full strength or diluted?, also how often do you fertilize your plants??....thanks for answering :unsure:

Abiram

#12 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,312 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 24 April 2010 - 20:02 PM

Oh! great to know! I am wondering if you use it at full strength or diluted?, also how often do you fertilize your plants??....thanks for answering :unsure:

I use half strength, which with the nutrients I have is 0.75EC. I don't have a fixed routine but I guess that it's once every three or four weeks in the growing season.

#13 cosmo

cosmo
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:35 AM

I use half strength, which with the nutrients I have is 0.75EC. I don't have a fixed routine but I guess that it's once every three or four weeks in the growing season.

Ok, thanks, I will try my nutrient solution with my plants... lets see what happens.

Abiram

#14 Taliesin

Taliesin
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 00:24 AM

Have you tried this with other carnivorous plants or with nepentes in higher doses ?
I'd like to try this with my plants but some of them are doing poorly allready and i worry i might make it even worse...

#15 dvg

dvg
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 17:37 PM

Hi Taliesin,

I've primarily used the coffee treatments on my Nepenthes and some houseplants, used at regular strength and applied twice a year. I've read that Pinguicula don't particularly care for the coffee treatment.

If your plants are otherwise healthy, but seem to be stalled in their growth, the coffee might help them get out of their growth rut.

Feel free to experiment with it, as it seems fairly safe. I've given all of my Neps at least one coffee treatment, and some of them have been coffeed three or four times already.

Good luck with it.

dvg

Edited by dvg, 01 June 2010 - 17:39 PM.

#16 Amar

Amar
  • Full Members
  • 2,233 posts
  • Interests:single malt whisky, irish/scottish music, tin whistles, low whistles, and yes, carnivorous plants.

Posted 01 June 2010 - 19:05 PM

Hi Taliesin,

I've primarily used the coffee treatments on my Nepenthes and some houseplants, used at regular strength and applied twice a year. I've read that Pinguicula don't particularly care for the coffee treatment.

If your plants are otherwise healthy, but seem to be stalled in their growth, the coffee might help them get out of their growth rut.

Feel free to experiment with it, as it seems fairly safe. I've given all of my Neps at least one coffee treatment, and some of them have been coffeed three or four times already.

Good luck with it.

dvg

just don't use the method on pygmy drosera, they'll go straight to cp heaven.

#17 Taliesin

Taliesin
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 22:30 PM

Just used coffee on some yellow nep seedlings and some etoliated dews i found in an old lfs tray :sarcastic_blum:

#18 dvg

dvg
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 23:20 PM

I have never given any of my dews a coffee treatment, and I've also heard that pygmy dews don't like coffee.

As far as Nepenthes started from seed go, I gave some small N. fusca seedlings a coffee treatment and they have doubled and tripled in size from the size they were stalled at before.

Let us know your results with the coffee, especially with those dews of yours.

dvg

#19 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:22 AM

Just did a bit of digging around on coffee analysis and found that coffee seems to act as a quick release fertilizer for a number of trace elements including phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, copper and calcium and acts a slow release fertilizer for nitrogen and has a Ph of 6.5.

#20 dvg

dvg
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 18:44 PM

Just did a bit of digging around on coffee analysis and found that coffee seems to act as a quick release fertilizer for a number of trace elements including phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, copper and calcium and acts a slow release fertilizer for nitrogen and has a Ph of 6.5.

Manders, that might explain in part coffee's seeming ability to boost plant growth.

Do you have a link to your findings on coffee analysis?

dvg