- - - - -

Coffeed Nepenthes update

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,415 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 22:18 PM

That was our top seller when i worked at the hydro store. it would make you sick what the mark up is on it, but i suppose that goes for all goods.

I suspect that to be true of most of the products sold in hydro stores :wink:

#42 dvg

dvg
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

I've started feeding coffee beans to my cat, anybody want some? Ill do you a deal at 20£ a gram. Was thinking of branding it as 'catty crap'.

Haha, kinda reminds me of that kitty litter that is branded under the name of Catch It.

dvg

#43 evulFarmer

evulFarmer
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

Great results! I am trying now some coffee treatment on my slowly growing N. lowii 'Kinabalu'. It's the slowest plant I have ever had \o/

#44 Richard Bunn

Richard Bunn
  • 2,444 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, weird plants, opera, classical music, theatre, gym, Lush.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 14:03 PM

Can I just get an update as to the whole procedure of the coffee fertiliser?

Is it just the used grinds from the bottom of a pot or does it include any liquid?

How much do you use and how often do you apply it etc?

#45 dvg

dvg
  • Full Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 19:06 PM

If you were to use the day old left over cold coffee, the stuff that usually gets poured down the drain before a new batch is made, that would be the fluid that would be poured through the potting media.

Once every six months seems to be safe.

dvg

#46 Mato

Mato
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 15:06 PM

Great results, DVG!

I was wondering if you could let us know your typical day/night temps, humidity, and the media you use? Were these plants grown under fluorescents or sunlight? Also, how long were you waiting between waterings considering the plants were grown in a terrarium?

It's hard for me to imagine these specific species growing so quickly, so I'd like to know all I can about your experience.

- Mat

#47 mark

mark
  • Full Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

wow thats awesome some great results . The rajah looks great. I have to give this a go on my neps.
Do you have any more up to date pictures of how they are doing? And are you still giving them the coffee treatment?

Thanks

Mark

#48 stumorph

stumorph
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 14:44 PM

Has anyone tried tea as a fertilzer its is supposed to work on housplants

#49 Mato

Mato
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 17:38 PM

Has anyone tried tea as a fertilzer its is supposed to work on housplants

Haven't tried it, Stu, but I would be curious of the results.

Furthering this coffee discussion, if anyone is interested in viewing the results of other experienced growers, Terra Forums has a similar thread that was recently revived: http://www.terraforu...-Roast-Pressure

#50 gaeldu64

gaeldu64
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 20:28 PM

Extraordinary success but a small question cross me the head.
Be that e coffee kills your sphaigne? The coffee(café) to apply him(it) to you in spraying(pulverizing) or in watering?

Thank you.

#51 Mato

Mato
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 22:37 PM

Extraordinary success but a small question cross me the head.
Be that e coffee kills your sphaigne? The coffee(café) to apply him(it) to you in spraying(pulverizing) or in watering?

Thank you.

Gael,

Just use a french press to make the coffee as you usually would and pour it into the media once it has cooled down.

#52 gaeldu64

gaeldu64
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 13:08 PM

ok thank :thumbsup:

#53 Welshy

Welshy
  • Full Members
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Nepenthes

Posted 27 May 2014 - 17:09 PM

I've decided to try coffee fertiliser on my neps, after reading some fascinating stories and seeing photographs of the improvements on other websites, as well as this thread.

So, my experiment is being done with Sainsbury's own blend Fair trade coffee beans, medium strength 3. I haven't a clue whether it makes any difference or not, but i decided to buy beans instead of pre-ground, as i am a bit paranoid of modern food processing methods and packaging plants, but that's another story. I don't know if anything gets added to the beans during the grinding process or not, but i thought it better practice to buy beans and grind them myself.

Anyway, i'll do a brew tonight (trying to resist temptation to drink the entire lot) and then i'll leave it to cool and stew overnight. Tomorrow, i'll strain and dilute the coffee 50/50 with more cold water (to be on the safe side for my first experiment) and i'll top water the substrate around the plant. I think i'll avoid putting the coffee solution in the pitchers or foliar feeding for now, again, just to err on the safe side. I plan to do the top watering twice a year, so i'll take some photos tomorrow when i water them, and take some comparison shots in 6 months time.

As an additional experiment, i'm going to take a spare young ventricosa and repot it into my usual mix of orchid bark, charcoal, and sphagnum, but with a tablespoon of the leftover ground beans added to the potting mix.

Edit : wow, it's been 2 years since the last post, so who's still using coffee now and do you have any before and after photo's ?

Edited by Welshy, 27 May 2014 - 17:11 PM.

#54 CephFan

CephFan
  • Sponsor
  • 437 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 18:07 PM

I was wondering about the grounds too.

Out work canteen gives away bags of used coffee grounds for garden use.

Would it help if mixed into compost?

Cheers
Steve

#55 Welshy

Welshy
  • Full Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 19:11 PM

The only issue i think i've read about on the net is that the bean grounds can go mouldy. But i'll give it a shot with a spare plant anyway, you can't beat the fun of doing your own experiments. I believe the resulting information sticks in the old grey matter better than reading countless forum posts, especially for me at my age :laugh2:

#56 CephFan

CephFan
  • Sponsor
  • 437 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 19:30 PM

They certainly go mouldy if left in a filter machine... and no, you don't have to ask how I know that! ;-) Cheers, Steve Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#57 Welshy

Welshy
  • Full Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 20:03 PM

I'm glad i'm not the only one :laugh2:

• CephFan likes this

#58 19Silverman93

19Silverman93
  • Full Members
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Video games, General gardening, and of course CP's. I like Nepenthes the best but have a soft spot for drosera and mexican pings too

Posted 28 May 2014 - 00:06 AM

I for one really advocate coffee as a fertiliser for nepenthes- it's worked wonders for a tricksy fusca I have so go for it! :D

#59 Mato

Mato
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 18:34 PM

Despite the "slow release" comments here, you should flush the coffee out the day after application so that pathogens don't accumulate. The plants will take what they need and the soil will be re-acidified, so there is no reason to leave it in there.

• TCurrell likes this

#60 Welshy

Welshy
  • Full Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 19:25 PM

Interesting, i hadn't read about flushing pathogens in any other thread i've come across before, but it's very possible i missed it somewhere.

Therefore, i suppose re-cycling the coffee grounds into your potting mix is totally out of the question then ?