* * - - - 1 votes

Aldrovanda Bog Experiment Initiated

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,737 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 16 April 2010 - 15:13 PM

I set up a Sterilite container in the bog and put the above pieces in there. Not impressive at the moment but hopefully it will be in a couple months.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The other portion that I had with U. gibba, in a vase, I just put in a 10 gallon fishtank. It's too murky in there right now for a picture.

Edited by jimscott, 29 June 2010 - 14:10 PM.

#2 Sebulon

Sebulon
  • Full Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants

Posted 16 April 2010 - 16:05 PM

Hello,

Quite interesting. I have always wanted to try Aldrovanda, but Im not a good aquarist, as my aquarium is always full of algae, so I haven't ordered any samples to get killed in my aquarium. :biggrin: I hope you are succesfull with yours!

I have always read that Aldrovanda likes company of other plants. Are you planning on putting some other plants with it?

Greetings,
Jarkko

Edited by Sebulon, 16 April 2010 - 16:06 PM.

#3 jimscott

jimscott
  • Full Members
  • 5,737 posts
  • Interests:Tropical fish, Carnivorous Plants, Gardening, Scrabble, Ping-Pong, Disco and New Wave Music

Posted 29 June 2010 - 14:15 PM

I had to abandon the experiment. The critters were going after the LFS and wreaking havoc on the setup. I would check on it one day and find the LFS scattered and plants uprooted. Once the container, with a rock in it, was turned upside down. I literally lost my Hummer and D. macrantha tubers.

However, while that was a disaster, I also have a 10 gallon fishtank with a couple bog plants to go with Aldrovanda and U, gibba. They have been spreading nicely:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's challenging to get decent photos of plants in water!

#4 Davion

Davion
  • Full Members
  • 354 posts
  • Location:7-minutes from Mount-Bold, Adelaide, South Australia
  • Interests:B3, F#4, D4, A4 & Plants

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:56 PM

POLAROID-Filter with Possible 'Ring'-Flash at some Obtuse or Scant-Angle to Reflective Water-Surface Or Black-Mirror Photography!!! (Basically R-Slab of Black-Marble or Equivalent and-R 'Long'-Exposure) >(*U^)<