- - - - -

Humax scottish moss peat

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 danthecpman

danthecpman
  • Sponsor
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, Forestry/tree biology, fitness, performance cars and carnivorous plants

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

Hi all
This season i have brought a couple of bags of humax scottish moss peat after my plants spending 1 year in westlands irish moss peat they eventually got very poorly looking. I was just wondering if anyone knows if this humax peat is any good?

Regards
Dan

#2 Ian Salter

Ian Salter
  • Sponsor
  • 837 posts
  • Interests:cycling, Lau gar kung fu, P.Cs, C.Ps.

Posted 20 March 2010 - 18:45 PM

Hi Dan.
Had to use Humax more often than I cared for. In general it is a little fine for my liking and eventually turns to a black mush void of air spaces.
I would add a fair amount of perlite to keep it open or mix in Sphagnum moss, I find this will make it more acceptable.
Luckily My supplier could no longer get Humax and now stocks Goodwins Irish moss peat that is pretty good on a par with the Shamrock Brand that many including myself favour.
I have to add at this point that none of my plants really suffered too badly as a result of using Humax so don't panic too much (It's just not great).
And oh yes Westland is very bad for CP's (Talking from experience), I heard someone say it is a sedge peat.

Edited by Ian Salter, 20 March 2010 - 18:47 PM.

#3 danthecpman

danthecpman
  • Sponsor
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, Forestry/tree biology, fitness, performance cars and carnivorous plants

Posted 20 March 2010 - 20:57 PM

Hi Dan.
Had to use Humax more often than I cared for. In general it is a little fine for my liking and eventually turns to a black mush void of air spaces.
I would add a fair amount of perlite to keep it open or mix in Sphagnum moss, I find this will make it more acceptable.
Luckily My supplier could no longer get Humax and now stocks Goodwins Irish moss peat that is pretty good on a par with the Shamrock Brand that many including myself favour.
I have to add at this point that none of my plants really suffered too badly as a result of using Humax so don't panic too much (It's just not great).
And oh yes Westland is very bad for CP's (Talking from experience), I heard someone say it is a sedge peat.

Hi Ian
Thanks for the feedback, ye aslong as its better than westland then thats all that matters =) My mixes are generally quite open consiting of 1:1 peat:perlite with a touch of sand.

Cheers
Dan

#4 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,321 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 20 March 2010 - 21:33 PM

It's not sedge peat, but it may have some 'added ingredients':

http://www.cpukforum...s...st&p=255837

#5 danthecpman

danthecpman
  • Sponsor
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:50 AM

It's not sedge peat, but it may have some 'added ingredients':

http://www.cpukforum...s...st&p=255837

Thanks for the link mobile that could explain why they all started to look sad =( never mind i will never be buying westland again then. Just hope this humax is a better peat.

Dan

#6 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:46 AM

The local peat here (extracted within a few miles from where I live) is dark in colour and with time turns black and anaerobic. Eventually is kills VFTs, without fail. Peat should be brown and 'fluffy', not dark and soggy.

In my experience, the best and most consistent peat available in the UK is Shamrock Irish Moss Peat.

Edited by mobile, 21 March 2010 - 09:49 AM.

#7 danthecpman

danthecpman
  • Sponsor
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:21 AM

The local peat here (extracted within a few miles from where I live) is dark in colour and with time turns black and anaerobic. Eventually is kills VFTs, without fail. Peat should be brown and 'fluffy', not dark and soggy.

In my experience, the best and most consistent peat available in the UK is Shamrock Irish Moss Peat.

Ye this stuff is quite dark =( but im sure plenty of perlite should help.

#8 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:08 AM

Ye this stuff is quite dark =( but im sure plenty of perlite should help.

Keep a careful eye on it and get ready to repot fast if plants start to look like they going downhill. I find VFTs to be the most sensitive when it comes to bad peat. Mine used to start off good but after a few months they would get sick.

#9 danthecpman

danthecpman
  • Sponsor
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 22:54 PM

Hi
Ye i have not reppotted my VFT's yet so i think il probably just repot the one to see what happens. The sarracenia are sending up there flowers/pitchers now so we will see what happens.

Dan