• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Caldwell

Tim Caldwell
  • Full Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 14:16 PM

Hi,

I was wondering where I can buy genlisea - I live in Melbourne Australia. Prefferably a beginners' species.

Secondly, can anyone recommend a way of growing genlisea that allows the corkscrew traps to be seen?

Thanks,
Tim

#2 elgecko

elgecko
  • Full Members
  • 300 posts
  • Interests:hiking, photography, mountain biking, canoeing, bonsai, carnivorous plants, fossil hunting, MtG, etc

Posted 12 January 2010 - 16:45 PM

Not sure where to purchase any.

You can try this:
http://mysite.verizo...9/Genlisea.html

I've done it for Utrics also:
http://mysite.verizo...tricularia.html

#3 Vic2

Vic2
  • Full Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:22 AM

Secondly, can anyone recommend a way of growing genlisea that allows the corkscrew traps to be seen?

Thanks,
Tim

I recall reading that our hero Adrian Slack grew Genlisea in tall thin glass containers (with drainage!!), so the traps could be seen through the glass.
I'd add to this by devising a 'clean' compost mix that doesn't adhere much to the glass, and covering the glass with black paper or similar.
The phytochrome system of many plants cannot detect green light, so plants are 'blind' to light with wavelengths around 500nm.
If this is true of Genlisea, you might get away with covering the glass with a green filter like coloured Cellophane giftwrap. Then you wouldn't have to keep unwrapping your pot to see the traps.

N.B. This is all theoretical - I've not grown Genlisea myself yet. But I want to!! :thumbsdown:
A similar idea has been used for studying ant colonies for many years. In this case, Skaife - an RSA ant expert - found that ants are blind to blue light, and successfully used blue Kodak 'Wratten' filters on his formicaria.

Hope this helps,

V2 :)

#4 loligo1964

loligo1964
  • Full Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:34 AM

I know of a few growers who have planted Genlisea in live sphagnum-filled orchid baskets over an open-topped plexiglass water-filled cube. The trapping mechanisms could be seen, suspended in the clear water.

A photo of such an arrangement can be found in Peter D'Amato's The Savage Garden . . .