- - - - -

Shamrock Irish moss peat

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Peabody

Peabody
  • Full Members
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:I am mostly interested in VFT's but I am having a go at Cephalotus.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 16:40 PM

Just a thought but what about blocks of peat sold as fuel? When I went on holiday to Islay we were provided with peat for the fire. This was years before I became interested in Venus Flytraps. I wonder if I had brought some blocks home whether they would have been OK for our plants?

#42 JimsPlants

JimsPlants
  • Full Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 17:29 PM

Ive seen shamrock in the garden centres with new packaging and now in 125litre bails, dont know if this has anything to do with them stopping it.

Picked up a couple which should last a couple year or too if its ok in the bag for all that time.

#43 5hort5

5hort5
  • Full Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:05 AM

On my peat search I went to Colne to get some Shamrock stuff, they said they had it in, they lied, they didn't (when I got there grrrr). What they did have though was 100 litre bags of Erin Moss Peat. Now according to the garden centre assistant this stuff is Shamrock peat??????? just under a different/new company name. Now I'm not sure of this as I half thought I was being fobbed off. Anyway I got home and tested the PH using a B+Q soil testing liquid and it went red, lower than the lowest orange PH5 on the scale on the pack so I would guess around PH4. I don't know if it's any good but it's a nice light colour and so far doesn't seem to the have any really large dead trees in. I haven't tested it yet with a living plant but I will be soon. Basically it maybe worth a go and at £4.99 a 100ltr bag it wasn't to badly priced.

#44 fishycps

fishycps
  • Full Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

Shamrock moss peat has pretty much disappeared on it's home turf here in Ireland (I think Bord na Mona is trying to move away fron it's dark past as a destroyer of peatlands) however the Erin brand is excellent and a more than adequate replacement. It's packed in Co. Offaly in the Irish midlands so you can be sure it's raised bog milled peat. It certainly keeps my CPs happy!
Ian

#45 Guest_prevell_*

Guest_prevell_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 16:36 PM

Just a thought but what about blocks of peat sold as fuel? When I went on holiday to Islay we were provided with peat for the fire. This was years before I became interested in Venus Flytraps. I wonder if I had brought some blocks home whether they would have been OK for our plants?

You will be very disappointed!

Years ago I had the same brilliant idea and brought home 'turfs' from holidays in Co Offaly and Sutherland. I left them outside in all weathers in seed trays thinking they would break down. TEN YEARS later they were still as hard as concrete and I took them to the local tip.