• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:20 AM

All kinds of stuff ends up in peat bogs, sedges, trees, dead animals, leaves, insects etc, not just spaghnum.

#22 Trev

Trev
  • Sponsor
  • 890 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 21:07 PM

My bags of Shamrock this year had loads of bits of assorted chewed up plastics in amongst the peat, after a while I started putting them all in an empty pot, which ended up full. Some were bits of pots and others were black plastic sheeting, one of the pieces was part of a plants label, I just hope the contents of the pots didn't go in with the rest...

#23 JimsPlants

JimsPlants
  • Full Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:15 PM

My bags of Shamrock this year had loads of bits of assorted chewed up plastics in amongst the peat, after a while I started putting them all in an empty pot, which ended up full. Some were bits of pots and others were black plastic sheeting, one of the pieces was part of a plants label, I just hope the contents of the pots didn't go in with the rest...

yes, ive just had a bad batch of shamrock. Lots of bits and lumps. Even some really weired looking lumps of grey clay like material. Had to get the sieve out.

#24 Alexis

Alexis
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 15:30 PM

Wird. Last two batches I've had have been perfect.

#25 SamInLondon

SamInLondon
  • Full Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

All this talk of dodgy peat is making me nervous.

I don't suppose anyone has used Wilko's? Got a few plants in it that aren't doing great, so am wondering whether to repot just in case.

#26 crumble

crumble
  • Members
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:C.P's, cacti and succulents,

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

I've bought this peat before and its been very good, not from this supplier but have had other compost delivered in the past ok if anyone is interested. It seems a good price delivered.

http://www.creativeg...ss-peat-100-ltr

#27 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,321 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:14 AM

I've bought this peat before and its been very good, not from this supplier but have had other compost delivered in the past ok if anyone is interested. It seems a good price delivered.

http://www.creativeg...ss-peat-100-ltr

Below is Heather's comments with regards J. Arthur Bower's Moss Peat:

This is the latest brand I tried, its seems to be full of non peat stuff though, spending ages taking all the crap out. Its easily obtainable for me but I wouldnt buy it again for a while. Hopefuly I've just had a bad batch but quality seems pretty poor to me.

It's getting increasingly difficult to get peat that is suitable for carnivorous plants. Being a natural product it will be variable, so you could get a 'bad batch' from a brand that you trusted before. This is probably going to become even more of an issue as the suppliers start exhausting the good quality peat from existing excavated bogs. The local peat available from where I live is very dark in colour, almost black and I guess that this is due to it coming from deep in the bog - VFTs hate it.

#28 crumble

crumble
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

Interesting, I can only say I have been buying it soley for my plants for the past few years and have never had a bad bag, or found anything like "non peat stuff" plastic etc in it. My plants are growing well.

#29 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:35 AM

Interesting, I can only say I have been buying it soley for my plants for the past few years and have never had a bad bag, or found anything like "non peat stuff" plastic etc in it. My plants are growing well.

That's the same with me with regards to Shamrock Moss Peat, I have never had any problems with it.

#30 Hayden

Hayden
  • Full Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

Sorry if im bumping this, but ive seen the J. Arthur Bower moss peat online too, and then saw LJ's comment. Isnt it good that it has sticks in, prooving it was the top layer of a bog and hasnt been through any factories? Just the way a vft likes it, we can remove the sticks by hand.

#31 Phil Green

Phil Green
  • Full Members
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 18:16 PM

That's the same with me with regards to Shamrock Moss Peat, I have never had any problems with it.

SNAP

BUT, possible bad news guys & gals. My local small nursery supplier told me a few days ago, when I went in & bought their last bag, that they may not be able to get Shamrock any more (or soon want be able to). Apparently the company that produce shamrock are getting out of the business :laugh2:

They did say a new supplier they've found gets their peat from the same source - so I'll have to see. But As I now have a full bag, that will be a year or two.

#32 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Zoology, Entomology, CPs, Painting, Cycling, Photography

Posted 30 July 2010 - 18:28 PM

I get my peat free at a bog near me where there is small scale turf digging. I get the stuff on top that they don't want, which is lovely and mossy and light and aerated, and there is no need for perlite. It is very eco as well - if there is one thing I hate to see (but I see it too much around here) is wide expanses of black peat in large scale digging. That's right, Shamrock Irish Moss Peat comes from my area, and it ruins the ecosystems badly.

#33 crumble

crumble
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 18:39 PM

SNAP

BUT, possible bad news guys & gals. My local small nursery supplier told me a few days ago, when I went in & bought their last bag, that they may not be able to get Shamrock any more (or soon want be able to). Apparently the company that produce shamrock are getting out of the business :laugh2:

They did say a new supplier they've found gets their peat from the same source - so I'll have to see. But As I now have a full bag, that will be a year or two.

Phil, is Shamrock peat a brand name? I've gone through several 100L bags of J Arthur Bowers peat this year so far and it is good quality, plants all growing great and nice fine peat, no plastic bags or anything untoward.

#34 LJ

LJ
  • Members
  • 2,269 posts
  • Interests:CP's ofcourse!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 19:57 PM

Oh thats bad news about shamrock brand, I've finally found somewhere near me that sells it! I wasnt fond of the arthur j bowers that much when I used it, full of non peat stuff but not as bad as some of the other brands I've tried. Westland left me with problems, clover goes all green, mouldy and slimy on the surface. Just about to try shamrock which most people say is good stuff, cant believe they're going out of buinsess :rolleyes:

#35 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Zoology, Entomology, CPs, Painting, Cycling, Photography

Posted 30 July 2010 - 19:58 PM

Clover is another one that operates in my area. I steer well clear of them :rolleyes:

#36 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:23 PM

SNAP

BUT, possible bad news guys & gals. My local small nursery supplier told me a few days ago, when I went in & bought their last bag, that they may not be able to get Shamrock any more (or soon want be able to). Apparently the company that produce shamrock are getting out of the business :D

I was informed that the company that supplies Scotts, the owners of the Shamrock brand, no longer produce peat moss bales.

Edited by mobile, 03 August 2010 - 12:05 PM.

#37 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 19:44 PM

Clover is another one that operates in my area. I steer well clear of them :sun_bespectacled:

Some of us are fortunate to have a local 'eco friendly(ish)' supply of peat but you have to bear in mind that a lot of people rely on having to purchase bales of peat and a lot of it comes via Bord na Móna, which I guess are the primary operators in your area.

#38 Hayden

Hayden
  • Full Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 20:01 PM

Ive messaged a garden centre nearby that may hold it, I will see what they have to say about it going out of business. If not ill order 400l of J Bower before they go out of business =P

#39 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 20:12 PM

Ive messaged a garden centre nearby that may hold it, I will see what they have to say about it going out of business. If not ill order 400l of J Bower before they go out of business =P

The supplier of Shamrock Irish moss peat is not going out of business, as far as I'm aware. However, I was informed that they are not supplying bales of peat anymore. You might want to stock up if you see some still available in garden centres, just in case.

Edited by mobile, 03 August 2010 - 12:06 PM.

#40 Hayden

Hayden
  • Full Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 21:20 PM

Ok, as long as it keeps well I will stock up!