Nepenthes attenboroughii in The Sun

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Stairs

Stairs
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:07 AM

British tabloid, The Sun, feature a rather poor and misquoted piece of journalism on N. attenboroughii today:

British Scientists discover plant that eats rats

I'm not sure how to feel about all this sudden press; in the face of unscrupulous collectors' habits, I don't think it'll do the wild population any favours, especially if the Philippine authorities are not quick to move to protect the species and its habitat. Time will tell.

Alastair.

Edited by Stairs, 17 August 2009 - 11:10 AM.

#2 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,173 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:33 AM

I'm surprised that such a prestigious publication would get the facts wrong :sad:

This is the newspaper that gave us 'FREDDIE STARR ATE MY HAMSTER' as a front page headline story. Don't tell me that was factually incorrect too! :lol:

Edited by mobile, 17 August 2009 - 20:25 PM.

#3 andyoliver

andyoliver
  • Full Members
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants (thats a given) but VFTs inparticular. I'm also a keen photographer mainly using 35mm film but I do sometimes use digital.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:38 AM

Its already happening I'm sorry to say. I've had an e-mail asking me if I know when they can get one.

The Sun producing poor and misquoted journalism? Never!! :sad: They would not know the truth if it came up and bit them on the ....... (fill in your own endings). You've got to love the pic of the rat in the pitcher though!

Edited by andyoliver, 17 August 2009 - 11:40 AM.

#4 Mags

Mags
  • Full Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 18:37 PM

Any journalist using the word 'boffins' in a story needs shot... What a moron

#5 Stairs

Stairs
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 20:18 PM

Well, I can take being called a boffin; being a botanist isn't über sexy ;)

Anyway, I'll stop posting these updates; N. attenboroughii has featured in no less than 35 major publications today, which is crazy. The mass media machine at its worst, and all because it featured on the BBC.

#6 andyoliver

andyoliver
  • Full Members
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants (thats a given) but VFTs inparticular. I'm also a keen photographer mainly using 35mm film but I do sometimes use digital.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 20:52 PM

Anyway, I'll stop posting these updates; N. attenboroughii has featured in no less than 35 major publications today, which is crazy. The mass media machine at its worst, and all because it featured on the BBC.

I'd take being called a boffin over some of the things I'm called at work some days!

#7 vraev

vraev
  • Full Members
  • 881 posts
  • Interests:Natural History
    Immunology
    David Attenborough
    Carnivorous plants
    Wild-life Photography

Posted 17 August 2009 - 23:29 PM

Well guys....if you look at the bright side of things.... the false imagery will throw some ppl off. :sad: LOL! And...if it throws off the "poacher"....then thats all we are concerned about. I am sure Dear Sir David knows the plant named after him is not N. northiana. :lol:

#8 Mags

Mags
  • Full Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:34 AM

You're very lucky to be able to call yourself a botanist :thumright:

Sorry for the outburst, I just really have a thing against journalists :sun_bespectacled:

#9 Guest_nhamata_*

Guest_nhamata_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:46 AM

why do he put a N. northiana as N. attenboroughii !!
and have anyone any info on N. attenboroughii fedding on rats??

//Ludvig

#10 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,173 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:17 AM

why do he put a N. northiana as N. attenboroughii !!

//Ludvig

Ludvig,

This newspaper is not known for its factual correctness. It has a tendency to exaggerate the facts (or make them up!)

#11 Stairs

Stairs
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 14:03 PM

//Ludvig

Ludvig,

This taxon does not feed on rats; we observed mainly jewel bugs and winged insects in its pitchers. Somewhere along the line, somebody must have said that it is large enough to eat a rat, and being prone to hyperbole, the papers ran with that sensationalist idea and made it "fact". It's rubbish; as with any species, a rodent could end up in the pitcher by accident, but rodents were few and far between on Mount Victoria - such an event would be the exception, rather than the rule.

Cheers,

Alastair.

#12 rsivertsen

rsivertsen
  • Full Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 15:07 PM

Funny how wrong information travels better than an accurate one! Now, a NYC news entity is pushing that envelope with another twist!

http://www.nydailyne...rats_whole.html

#13 Amori

Amori
  • Full Members
  • 429 posts
  • Interests:Plants, nature, fitness training, music.

Posted 26 October 2009 - 22:54 PM

I just wanted to point out something I noticed in the October issue of BBC Wildlife Magazine. They also displayed a photograph of N. northiana in the guise of N. attenboroughii, so I contacted their editor about it. He (Mr. B. Hoare) told me, and I quote,

"We were supplied the image in question by the people who discovered the plant"

Could this really be true? I was told any corrections will be printed on the letters page of the November Issue.

Edited by Amori, 26 October 2009 - 22:56 PM.

#14 rsivertsen

rsivertsen
  • Full Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 00:05 AM

I just wanted to point out something I noticed in the October issue of BBC Wildlife Magazine. They also displayed a photograph of N. northiana in the guise of N. attenboroughii, so I contacted their editor about it. He (Mr. B. Hoare) told me, and I quote,

"We were supplied the image in question by the people who discovered the plant"

Could this really be true? I was told any corrections will be printed on the letters page of the November Issue.

Most likely, they were just given a generic link to their website homepage, and jumped at the photo of the N. northiana with a rodent in its mouth without searching out the correct page on that website for this new species. - Rich