- - - - -

how do i look after brocchinia reducta

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gratz_*

Guest_Gratz_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 19:55 PM

hi just bought one of these plants 10cm high.ive put it in the conservatory (unheated) south west facing gets really hot in summer and down too 3cel in winter.what soil is best? thanks

#2 ada

ada
  • Full Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Interests:"green sarracenia"

Posted 25 March 2009 - 20:08 PM

Hi Gratz, i grow mine in a mix of peat/perlite,usual sarra mix! Its on the bathroom window cill,gets full sun all afternoon/evening.Watered with tap water only when dry and allowed to run through the compost,not stood in water and its doubled in size in 9 months.
Dont all try this at home!
ada

#3 flycatchers

flycatchers
  • Full Members
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:carnivorous plants, cult tv/films, theatre, cats, music, photography, film- making including aerial photography, modern art & installations.

Posted 25 March 2009 - 21:01 PM

Hi Gratz, i grow mine in a mix of peat/perlite,usual sarra mix! Its on the bathroom window cill,gets full sun all afternoon/evening.Watered with tap water only when dry and allowed to run through the compost,not stood in water and its doubled in size in 9 months.
ada

Hi Ada,
I lost my brocchinia reducta this winter :whistling: Last winter I had no problems and on both occasions I had kept it on the dry side, and like you the compost was peat/perlite and not stood in water. It was in my heated Neps house and had been in the same sunny location for almost two years and had grown well. Late last summer it sent up a flower stalk which reached about 10 inches in height. But halfway through this winter the whole plant started to go brown and the leaves were curling up. The flower buds never opened and eventually the brown spread up the flower stalk. Its now totally brown and dead and of course no sign of any new pups! Might the flowering made the plant even more sensitive to watering do you think and perhaps keeping the plant drier still might have helped?

Want to get it right next time!

cheers

bill

#4 Guest_Gratz_*

Guest_Gratz_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 21:50 PM

ada

thanks for the info ada i think i ll get away with the place ive choosen.do ineed too spray the plant to keep it humid? is tap water ok?

#5 ada

ada
  • Full Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Interests:"green sarracenia"

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:25 AM

Hi Bill,i try to grow it as "natural" as i can.Meaning that where they grow the water runs straight off(from some of the pictures i've seen)but they get plenty of sun,but cool temperatures on top of the Tepui(i think thats right)so they get humidity from the bathroom(2 daughters + the wife)but the window is always open directly above the plant to cool it down.
I think last winter was a cold one and anything slightly susceptable will have died,flowering could have caused this.I think you were just unlucky with the timing of flowering/cold,plus the plant dies anyway after flowering--just too many factors happening at once.
Gratz,
I put don't try this at home because my tap water is O.K to use on cp's,i've used it for years on all my plants at one time or another with no ill effects.
Find out how hard/soft yours is first,or try it on something you can afford to lose for a season.
ada

#6 chloroplast

chloroplast
  • Members
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Horticulture: Carnivorous plants, Cacti and succulents, orchids<br />Reading - horticulture, medicine <br />Classical music<br /><br />

Posted 31 March 2009 - 18:31 PM

Take a look at the most recent issue of CPN.

I think Barry has set a great standard on how a cultivated B. reducta should appear.

Ken