• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewLuton

AndrewLuton
  • Full Members
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:CP's, PC games, Radio, Man Utd, Geocaching

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:11 PM

Just checked on my bulbs which are in a dry box in a dark cupboard and found 1 of the largest bulbs half rotten as well as 2 or 3 others.
They were put away dry, can anyone please offer advice as I don't want to loose the rest of them.

Cheers

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 diva

diva
  • Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 13:25 PM

leave them in the ground???
after losing a few in pots a few years back i decided to drop all mine in the ground in a nicely prepered area and it was the best thing i've done with them, they look healthy and some species seem to be producing plenty of offshoots (side bulbs whatever the correct term is for baby's splitting off arasemias! lol) all the 'experts' claim that only candisarium is hardy but i've never told any of mine that there not hardy and they don't appear to have noticed!

#3 Danny...

Danny...
  • Full Members
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants ,Body Art, Aroids and AZ!!

Posted 06 December 2008 - 20:54 PM

Aaarg!

That is a pitty..

I'm no expert, but i think "Where there's moist, there's mould"...

Perhaps they where not quite dry enough yet?

I left mine on top of the central heating plate for two day's..more or less ensuring that no moist was present on the bulbs when i placed them in the closet under the stairs..

I also do not cover them..they are just sitting in a open plastic tray..exposed to moving air e.d.

They do just fine!..uptill now anyway!

#4 AndrewLuton

AndrewLuton
  • Full Members
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:CP's, PC games, Radio, Man Utd, Geocaching

Posted 06 December 2008 - 22:09 PM

I have been advised to plant then (one ones which have not rotted) in dry soil ad keep cool and dry. A better option to store them would have been in a plastic open container in sand and provide better ventilation that I offered.

Guess you learn by your mistakes :smile: