* * * * * 1 votes

My cooling unit

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,170 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & hydroculture.

Posted 25 June 2011 - 15:35 PM

Very nice plants Martin, but totally outshined by the picture of your beautiful daughter... what a cutie :smile:

#42 Martin Hingst

Martin Hingst
  • Full Members
  • 1,363 posts
  • Interests:music, cycling, travelling, minerals, utricularia :-)

Posted 25 June 2011 - 20:28 PM

Thanks Carl - yes, thats what she is :smile: should have made an own post out of it - who the heck is interested in quelchii flowers, or jitka or whatever when such a sweet girl is smiling :wink:

Very nice plants Martin, but totally outshined by the picture of your beautiful daughter... what a cutie :smile:

Edited by Martin Hingst, 25 June 2011 - 20:32 PM.

#43 Sebulon

Sebulon
  • Full Members
  • 492 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants & photography

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:04 AM

Gongratulations for a new father! :hi:

But oh my god! That tank is like a dream of mine!

Can you reveal the night and day temperatures, so I know to adjust them in my own highland terra? :biggrin:

Plus, what soil mix do you use for Jitka? Im ashamed to be asking these, but your plants sure seem SUPER!

Greetings,
Jarkko

#44 James O'Neill

James O'Neill
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Zoology, Entomology, CPs, Painting, Cycling, Photography

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:18 AM

Congratulations, Martin :sun_bespectacled:

That looks very impressive. No; it is very impressive. I'll have something like that one day...

#45 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:40 AM

I've noticed quite a few beer (flow) coolers on eBay in recent months, which would probably make a ideal cooler for such a setup. I've also been tempted a buy and adapt a beer fridge, the sort with a glass door. Problem is both of these items are heavy, so ideally would need to find one locally.

#46 Martin Hingst

Martin Hingst
  • Full Members
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:10 PM

Thanks guys :smile:

Jarkko, I use (more or less) the same soil for all my highland Uticularia: bark, peat (low decomposed/ H1 grade), Sphagnum and perlite.
In equal amounts. For the epiphytes like campbelliana a bit more bark.
Temperature in the cellar is about 8-10°C in winter, 12-15 in summer. When the lights go on, the temperature rises about 10 °C during the day. Perfect temps for highland plants - all without artificial cooling :wink: and heating is so much easier than cooling...

Carl, those flow coolers went down in prices. I have seen new ones for 300€, used they should be affordable now. e.g.
http://cgi.ebay.de/D...a#ht_1635wt_907

Those beer fridges are for sure another interesting option. Heavy - and a bit noisy. But because of the good insulation more energy-efficient. Tobias Kulig has had good success in cultivation U. campbelliana in such a fridge.

Regards

Martin

#47 vraev

vraev
  • Full Members
  • 881 posts
  • Interests:Natural History
    Immunology
    David Attenborough
    Carnivorous plants
    Wild-life Photography

Posted 27 June 2011 - 00:58 AM

Congratulations martin. Beautiful little girl. Clearly distracts us from looking at those plants. :) Cute smile. :)

Your tank definitely looks amazing. I dropped the idea considering how expensive it became to do this setup. Maybe in the future. Thanks for the nice walkthrough though. Definitely very helpful. :)

#48 Martin Hingst

Martin Hingst
  • Full Members
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 20:13 PM

Hi,

just to show you how this story ...

And a detail - the jamesoniana pot looks very promising:
Posted Image

... went on:

Posted Image

More recent pics of my highland tank here:
http://www.cpukforum...=06
Regards

Martin

#49 Paul Schoeneberg

Paul Schoeneberg
  • Full Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 15:56 PM

I would like to cool my next Terrarium aswell, i've got a few questions about the Chillers:

Can a chiller, for example this one from ebay, Hailea Ultra Titan 200 165 W cool down the Terrarium like a freezer or are there diffrences?

Would your system still work if you would just change your freezer to a chiller?

And doesn't a freezer need much less energy than a chiller?

Another question about your system, would it become more efficent if you would use more radiators & ventilators, how cool is the water when it gets out of the radiator back into the freezer?

Would you recommend using a chiller instead of a freezer?

Thank you,

Paul

#50 pmatil

pmatil
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:44 AM

If I ever need to cool down my terrarium I'll use one of those aquarium chillers. That 165 W model should be able to cool down almost every terrarium. For comparison, freezers' power is somewhere between 60 and 90 W usually.

#51 Martin Hingst

Martin Hingst
  • Full Members
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

Hi Paul,

as I wrote above - those chillers would be my first choice, for many reasons (see my first post).

Regards

Martin

#52 moof

moof
  • Full Members
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:CPs, mountains, rock climbing, hiking

Posted 11 August 2011 - 14:14 PM

The price of these chillers and their energy consumption are freaking me out a bit:) I've built once a setup like yours, but using a much more weak cooler, and the water wasn't cooled down enough. As for today I moved my plants to the basement, but I still would like to have a highland terrarium in the living room. I'm thinking about using a wine cooler as a terrarium, but I'll have to mount the lighting inside somehow...

Peter

#53 mobile

mobile
  • Global Moderator
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 14:41 PM

I'm thinking about using a wine cooler as a terrarium, but I'll have to mount the lighting inside somehow...

I've considered using a wine cooler for this for quite a while, just never got around to actully doing it (plus I think my wife might object to one in our living room :lol:) The advantage is that it's pretty much already built, requiring just the addition of lighting. The efficiency should be higher than most terrraium constructions, as it will be insulated on 5 sides and the doors are sometimes double glazed too.

#54 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 11 August 2011 - 20:02 PM

If I ever need to cool down my terrarium I'll use one of those aquarium chillers. That 165 W model should be able to cool down almost every terrarium. For comparison, freezers' power is somewhere between 60 and 90 W usually.

Thats 165 w of cooling, the power rating on a fridge is power consumption and the cooling capacity is far higher, for example a 90w fridge could have 300w of cooling capacity. Hailea chillers are expensive as the exchanger is titanium coated to cope with salt water.

#55 pmatil

pmatil
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

Manders, ok. I thought 165 W was the power consumption.

#56 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:44 PM

I dont think so, they state power consumption as 1/10HP which is about 75W. Elsewhere its states cooling capacity as 150W, that gices a coefficeint of performance of about 2, which is typical of a small fridge so i think the numbers are correct.

On the other hand, i do like the look of the aquarium chillers they look a lot neater and second hand ones on ebay are sometimes not so expensive. As long as ~150W is enough chilling.

Edited by manders, 12 August 2011 - 12:47 PM.

#57 Martin Hingst

Martin Hingst
  • Full Members
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 20:50 PM

I am sure these chillers are many times more effective than my copper coil in a 90W fridge (what was good enough for my 112l Terrarium) because those chillers are designed for cooling the liquid running through it. And yes - they are quite small and quiet. For sure a good choice I am sure. I still guess I will try out some time.

#58 Vince81

Vince81
  • Full Members
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Heliamphora & highland plants

Posted 20 August 2011 - 21:20 PM

Hello,

Just my two cents.
I use also directly some fridges to cool my terraria. Here is the last one:

Posted Image

I've got also a terrarium with a radiator and all the setup, but, I think that I will give up it, in order to set the fridge also directly in the terrarium. It's easier after to move in a new student flat for instance :girl_angel:.

Bye
Vince

#59 jb_orchidguy

jb_orchidguy
  • Full Members
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Orchids and CPs

Posted 29 September 2011 - 16:04 PM

I am stoked to see this Idea working. I have had a very similar Idea. The only difference was to have sort of a "holding" tank in the freezer to allow for a larger condenser coil on the cooling side. So if there was a good deal temp increase when the fan pushes the warm air over the coils it wouldn't drop the temp inside the freezer too much. And it would allow one freezer to service multiple cooler coils. I had also planned to use some sort of antifreeze liquid to facilitate better heat exchange and allow for the freezer to NOT solidify the coolant.

This is so Awesome I am stoked. I am SO stoked to see it working as I had envisioned. Thanks for sharing the idea.

And here I thought I was being original LMAO Way to go. Awesome job Awesome work!

Edited by jb_orchidguy, 29 September 2011 - 16:06 PM.