CPs of Cape York - N. rowanae, N. tenax, N. mirabilis

Dear Fellow CP enthusiasts,

I just returned from an expedition with Greg Bourke to study various CPs in the remote Cape York peninsula of Australia. It was a fascinating trip and the three nepenthes there are extremely interesting.

I was a little skeptical about how distinct N. rowanae and N. tenax are from N. mirabilis. However on seeing these plants in the wild, I completely agree with Charles's description. While there are so many hybrids of these three species across the swamplands of Cape York (in fact, the majority of Nepenthes we found are hybrids) the distinct species are very clearly different and easy to see in the field.

Note the spectacular colouration of the N. mirabilis. The plants in Cape York were certainly the most beautiful specimens of this species that I have seen anywhere!

Anyway, I thought I would post these images here. I hope you like the photos! I will upload alot more shortly to http://www.redfernnaturalhistory.com/gallery

My best regards to you all,

Stewart

131.jpg

Drosera indica

132.jpg

Drosera indica

133.jpg

Drosera indica

134.jpg

Drosera indica

135.jpg

Drosera indica

136.jpg

Drosera indica

137.jpg

Drosera lanata

138.jpg

Nepenthes mirabilis

139.jpg

Nepenthes mirabilis (or possibly a distant hybrid)

140.jpg

Nepenthes tenax

141.jpg

Nepenthes rowanae

142.jpg

Nepenthes rowanae

143.jpg

Nepenthes rowanae

144.jpg

Nepenthes rowanae

145.jpg

Nepenthes rowanae x mirabilis or tenax or complicated hybrid with all three species

146.jpg

Byblis liniflora

147.jpg

Byblis liniflora

148.jpg

Byblis liniflora

149.jpg

Byblis liniflora

150.jpg

Byblis liniflora

Hi Stewart, amazing pictures!

Very healthy plants from all species. I most liked the N. rowanae and B. liniflora.

These Byblis look quite different from the plants we use to see in cultivation.

Thanks for sharing. :(

Edited by vitor b.

IMG_3870JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

'Sounds'-like We're In-for an Interesting JUNE-CA Read Then Fellas, ... Well-Done. The March-Edition Should-be Arriving on European-Doorsteps THIS-Week With Another Iconic Front-Cover (see-Above).

By-the-Way:

IMG_3860JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

This Species of Wattle (Acacia) is Coming-in to-Flower and Should Go ... B-L-O-O-M Around The Whole-Neighbourhood Soon as well-as:

IMG_3855JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

'Started'-to-Lose Some-of-'Berries' This-past-Week so-You Should By-Right Be-Out There Collecting Drosera-praefolia Seed about Now as The Drosera-whittakerii Start to Open Their First-Flowers. >(*U^)<

Hi Stewart,

great pictures from very nice species :P , sure it has been a nice trip.

Most i like the red D. indica plants, the Byblis liniflora growing in water and the N. rowanae, what a nice Nepenthes.

How big are the pitchers from N. rowanae?

Thanks for sharing these pictures, i canĀ“t expect the next pictures. :shock:

Best regards,

Dani