- - - - -

What do you do in real life???

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#41 Syble

Syble
  • Members
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:almost all CP's includinc Sarracenias, Dionaea, Nepenthes, Drosera(larger ones), Darlingtonia, and other pitchers.

Posted 07 February 2004 - 14:17 PM

Another student here. I'm studieing Horticulture at St. Clair. Doing rather well, I'm in my last semester. Lets see, pastjobs.....I worked as a heavy machinery operator(loaders, back hoes, and their big brothers), packing carparts, golf course crew leader(wow I hate turf), and lastly but not leastly Grounds maintanence and garden sales at St. Clair (greatjob), but currently full time student!
Sib :P

#42 JanW

JanW
  • Full Members
  • 977 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 14:46 PM

In our german society the rate of chemistry related jobs is very high, too.

Jan

#43 David Ahrens

David Ahrens
  • Full Members
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:CP's, photography.

Posted 07 February 2004 - 17:48 PM

I guess, you have to be a bit of a mad scientist, to have an interest in CP's :-)

#44 suzy

suzy
  • Members
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plants
    Gardening
    Cross Stitch
    Judo
    Researching my Family Tree
    Cooking
    Reading

Posted 07 February 2004 - 18:02 PM

Or a mad mum like me :lol: :mrgreen:

#45 Odysseus

Odysseus
  • Sponsor
  • 642 posts
  • Interests:All CPs - No Favorites anymore -Totally addicted now

Posted 07 February 2004 - 18:37 PM

Student. I am currently working towards my Bachelor of Science degrees in (1) Multimedia Technology Communications with an emphasis on Digital Video and Film. (2) Plants, Soils, and Biometerology with a Major in Ornamental Horticulture.

Thus, it will be a good while before Oregon University hires me to pull off the wings of flies or maybe a job in the crucial studies of Fly Gonads. ;)

#46 Guest_Pieman_*

Guest_Pieman_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2004 - 20:20 PM

im studying A levels at college at the moment (chem, human bio, physics and maths) And hopefully will aspire to the lofty heights of surgery
although all this talk about chemistry scientists sounds very intresting

#47 masterblaster

masterblaster
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 03:19 AM

I'm one of the few remaining workers in the US aerospace industry. I'm currently involved with making the cockpit instrumentation.

Brian

#48 Paul O'Keeffe

Paul O'Keeffe
  • Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 12:52 PM

Welcome Masterblaster :)

#49 Guest_PlantAKiss_*

Guest_PlantAKiss_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2004 - 04:18 AM

I am a graphic artist in Richmond, VA, USA. I work for a real estate company creating and producing various marketing materials for the company and 70+ real estate agents. This includes personal marketing, magazine ads, newspaper ads, brochures and basically any print material anybody needs. I like my job but let me say real estate agents can't fill out a simple order form. Gah! Makes me wonder how they can write up a contract. Most of them are very nice but sometimes you want to strangle them. :D And at least I don't have an art director hanging over my shoulder!

#50 Guest_nepsToo_*

Guest_nepsToo_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2004 - 05:59 AM

Quite a diverse and interesting array of occupations listed here, I must say!

I hold a Ph.D. in theoretical physics, and am currently employed
by a high-tech company to produce analytical and numerical models of
data storage devices. Not a bad job, but I'd rather spend more time with
my plants....

#51 manders

manders
  • Full Members
  • 2,671 posts
  • Interests:Neps

Posted 09 February 2004 - 07:52 AM

I'm a chemcial engineer, and try to improve the profitability of oil refineries. Not the manpower cutting type of improvement but I try to improve the process efficiency, and convert more fuel oil into gasoline that sort of thing. Sometimes with and sometimes without much cooperation from the clients!! Have worked just about all over the world and am now in Slovakia.

#52 Guest_radmail_*

Guest_radmail_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2004 - 18:43 PM

hmm i think having a science backround is common with cp lovers then, because i also studied a degree in the sciences, Medical Genetics to be precise :D

but now i would call myself a struggling artist also... i think it takes a few goes to realise what you want from life! :D

Rhian

#53 rabangus

rabangus
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Beards

Posted 09 February 2004 - 20:54 PM

I started out in Chemistry, and somehow found my way into stockbroking, where there is much more money...

Rowan

#54 Sallinger

Sallinger
  • Full Members
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:CPs, Sci-Fi, my wife & daughter

Posted 13 February 2004 - 21:53 PM

I am a plant operator at a Municiple Wastewater Treatment plant. You could say I have job security :(. I have my 'C' certification in Wastewater treatment and my class 2 certificate in collection systems. In May I'll take my test to see if I can get my class 3 certification.

#55 Ian Salter

Ian Salter
  • Sponsor
  • 781 posts
  • Interests:cycling, Lau gar kung fu, P.Cs, C.Ps.

Posted 14 February 2004 - 11:55 AM

Interior/Exterior decorator.
Can't really make it sound more interesting apart from the fact that I occasionally get jobs requiring graining, marbling and other techniques.
But I did have a chemistry set once :(

#56 Richard

Richard
  • Members
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, Scorpions, Astronomy

Posted 14 February 2004 - 17:46 PM

hmm......

I am a dairy distributionist.

(milk man) Not very exciting but it pays the bills!

#57 Bob H

Bob H
  • Full Members
  • 1,403 posts
  • Interests:Everything and Anything. Genlisea, Utricularia.

Posted 15 February 2004 - 08:43 AM

I was a Laboratory Technician for Her Maj's RN, until they made me redundant. Now I spend my time lolling around the home as a House Parent (or as was quoted by a renowned feminist " a second rate mother and a second rate man" !!!!!). It gives me almost enough time to endulge my hobbies, but with two young daughters, an over worked wife (NHS Sister) and a mental dogXpit-pony, I'm usually to bushed to do much.
I'm also decorating the house (never ending, Forth bridge styly)and trying to sort out the little back garden to allow more CP's in. :-) :D :D

#58 Guest_Nepenthes1566_*

Guest_Nepenthes1566_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2004 - 15:16 PM

Owner /Operator of a small machine shop specializing in intricate one of a kind parts and small production runs.I fix just about anything :(

#59 Rogier

Rogier
  • Full Members
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous plants, Movies, Music, nature, good books (James Clavell)

Posted 16 February 2004 - 18:23 PM

I'm an ICT engineer and do projects for mainly large companies. Currently I work for Philips and doing my 3rd project there.

I like to fun around at work as I don't take it all that serious, and luckily most of my colleages also. It doesn't mean I don't perform a good job, but more that I don't let myself go crazy in the pressure there is sometimes. We frinstens simply close the door and have competitions for the best Jim Carrey performance, or do basketball games with thise mini basket nets! But ooh,... don't tell this to the staff of Philips! :( As busy my job last year was, as easy I let it go when driving home!

:D

#60 Brendan

Brendan
  • Members
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Medicine, Bees, CPs.

Posted 16 February 2004 - 19:05 PM

Biologist, Chemist & Mathematician - Student! :(